Honda VTX Forum banner

Working on getting a VTX

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  JorgeMango 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
Well easy intro isn't easy for me. I never know how to talk about myself.
I'm 41, married 18 years, great kids who are on the way out of the house, in the Army Reserves, looking for work, and trying to learn everything I can about the VTX before I buy one. This way I can get the best one for my money.

I do have some questions and that's why I'm here, later on I'll linger around to talk about my VTX and do rides with other owners. :)

1. Is there a major difference between the 1300 and 1800 besides the obvious HP difference?
2. How are the rides for long distances? I'm leaning towards the cruiser setup with bags and fairing.
3. Is the decreased MPG of the 1800 worth it for the extra oomph?
4. What's the mileage difference between the two bikes?
5. What do I need to watch out for with the VTX when I go look at them to buy?

I'll stop there for now since I like to make conversation and expand as I go.
Thanks again for the help and look forward to being a full owner member.

See less See more
#2 ·
The 1800 has much more than just 500 extra cc;
Inverted forks
3 rotors with Hondas Linked Braking System where the front brake lever actuates the outer 2 pistons of the front calipers and the rear brake pedal actuates the rear caliper and the center pistons of the front calipers
Frame is different
EFI, 1300 has carb
Hydraulic clutch
Neo and F models

How they are for rides is really for the rider to determine. Can they go long distances? Sure, no problems there. You would have to either find a VTX with a fairing or you will have to put a fairing on it yourself. None came that way from the factory so time and added monies involved

#3 ·
Welcome from Mississippi. I sold my Shadow Spirit 1100 for the 03 1800C.
1. MUCH more oomph than 1100. Took me a minute to get used to the extra weight, an bulk. I had a choice of the 1300 or 1800. 1800 hands down.. Was a no brainer for me.
2. 200-300 miles per day on the weekend are common for me. I have a Memphis Shades windshield, & Saddleman bags with quick disconnect.
3. My bike gets 30 mpg with my setup. Would do it again given the chance. Did not get for mileage. I stop every 100 miles any way an stretch (gas).
4. As with any bike check out maintenance items, fluids, tires, exhaust. Do a test ride..

The 1800 is a big heavy cruiser. Not the best in twisties. The power makes up for most all short comings.

#4 ·
Back in 06 I didn't have a clue, just knew at 58 I wanted a MC and had better scratch that itch while I still had cash money...I bought my 1300R just on looks alone....I couldn't have done any better..10 years and 50K later no big issues other than regular maintenance ....I don't know a thing about the 1800 but that they are bad ass and its a Honda so u cant go wrong ....me personally am a happy camper with my bike.....good luck and stay safe...

#5 ·
After a 28 yr. haitus from bikes 7 yrs. ago, I got an 1100 Shadow (thinking I was getting a 750!) and rode that for 2 years, getting used to a bike again, and looking......then narrowed my choices to a 4 yr. old 1300 R with w/s, V&H, leather bags, 470 mi. ODO. And my black beauty 1800 C, 2003, w/ 5400 mi. and about $4K of stuff already done to the bike. I haven't been happier. I'm 65+, 5'10", 200# +. On the '02-'03 models, they were just working out the kinks, so are susceptible to a few things later years didn't have. You have 2 main things to be concerned about: The "ground fix", and if it's been done or not, and the FPR, fuel pressure regulator. If it hasn't been replaced, it WILL need it. $40, easy labor fix. Research the terms in the search feature. The 1800 is a HOT ROD- wasn't built for economy. If thats your concern, get the 1300. I get between 34-38 usually, and need to stop every hundred or so to stretch & pee anyway. Even though the carbs aren't bad, if you don't like tinkering on them, the FI on the 1800 is badass! The 1800 is heavier, but a few miles and you forget it. And you won't worry about a HD passing you by.

Reactions: Curt E
#8 ·
If you get one of the later 1800's there are more options to choose from in the Spec 1, 2 and 3. The Spec 2 and 3 denote cosmetic stuff but it's nice stuff.
I bought my 2005 F3 used.
The later versions of the 1800 had the flange removed from the gas tank. They don't have a fuel pressure regulator. The grounds don't need to be fixed. Honda relocated the fuel pump and the fuel tank holds a touch more. The shock bushings are improved.
I believe Honda updated the ECM at the same time but I can't prove it.
Mine has V&H pipes and a K&N filter and runs good without a Power Commander and it's crappy wiring connections. I'm not sure the same can be said of the first gen 1800.
I like the sound of the 1300. I like the way it's easy to pick up from the sidestand. I've never ridden one.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2005/06/article/2005-honda-vtx-1800-comparo/

#9 · (Edited)
Everyone's Post on this is accurate.
The 1300 is a beautiful cruiser that will run with or even out run many other cruisers, but it can't outrun or keep up with the 1800. The 1300 Can be set up to sound awfully close to a Harley. Outstanding reliability as is the case with most Honda's

The 1800 is a power cruiser. Wait- it's a freaking torque monster!! Has a sound all of its own and is a Honda bullet proof. It's the motor Honda should've put in the Fury! Honda probably chose the 1300 to help keep cost down and the single firing pin Harley like sound - just my own guess/opinion

You will be happy with either but the 1800 will make you smile every time you blip the throttle.

It is almost as heavy as a Goldwing , I have owned 2 1800's. Still own the 2nd . I find it well balanced and easy to maneuver but it isn't a twisty road bike (not much ground clearance ) and you aren't going to throw it around like a 400-500 pound sport bike.

As stated above. The power offsets any of the other short comings.

My 1st VTX with a 2003 C model. I have the V&H pipes with no power commander. It did have some decel pop , but nothing so bad I couldn't deal with it. The 1800 with V&H pipes sounds like a growling tiger - best sounding pipes on the 1800 IMO, currently on my 2007 I have Cobra Slash Cuts

I have a 2007 Spec 1 Neo with 18k miles that I'm toying with selling for $6k. If interested let me know and I will Send you pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have an 03 1800, so I can't comment on the 1300's.

02-04 1800's have an internal fuel pump, while the later models have an external pump. Fuel Pressure Regulators are a known trouble spot on the 02-04's. Plan on changing it when you buy to give you piece of mind (part costs 40 bucks).

Accessories are getting harder to find. You might have to look for used stuff on Ebay to find what you want. They have been out of production for 8 years.

As others have said, 30-35 mpg on the 1800. Set them up for cruising/touring and they'll run all day long at 75-80 mph no problem.

#11 ·
It's just starting to wake up @ 80 mph.

Reactions: LAVTXRIDER
#12 ·
My advice would be to check the For Sale boards here, because you'll likely get a great bike, which will probably have all the 'minor' stuff that may be needed (block off plates, ground fix, etc.), to be already done. Seems to me that most guys selling their bikes here mostly want to be sure it will go to someone who will RIDE it and not just let it sit in the garage, and they're mostly not out to 'rip' you off.

Like you, I first came here to do 'research' on what to look for, what might need to be done, and found a great bunch of folks here, made some good friends, and though I still haven't got a VTX, YET, I will probably be getting mine from here, as soon as I can afford it.

Reactions: rangers4u
#13 ·
I bought my 2007 1800T in late 2014. I haven't owned a 1300, but have ridden them. Even though the 1300 is lighter and perhaps a little easier to handle, I wouldn't trade my 1800 (unless I got old enough and it got too heavy). I love the EFI. First bike I have had without carbs. No choke. Just turn it on and hit the starter. The ride is great, but the stock seat sucks. There are lots of options for upgrades. The 1800 has enough different models that you should be able to find one that suits you. And these machines are almost bullet-proof. As long as the bike has been taken care of, and had regular maintenance, you should expect LOTS of miles left on them.
Good luck with the hunt. You've pick an excellent machine.

#14 ·
I just recently sold my 05' 1300 R after buying an 02' 1800 S.

I'm 6'3" and find the length from seat to handlebars to be a little longer and better (for me) on the 1800. I had Kuyakyn Ergo Highway bars on the 1300, which left my knees bent a little too much. I actually have to stretch to reach the highway pegs on my 1800's Cobra Fatty's. (I NEVER get to stretch for anything and the pegs could installed closer.) I felt a little cramped on the 1300 but not on my 1800!

From the drivers seat, the tank size and styling just looks better/tougher on the 1800. Small thing but...the "VTX" on the 1800 handle bar riser can be seen, where the "VTX" on the 1300 tank speedometer housing is hidden by the handle bars.

My "ego" LOVES the aggressive power of the 1800 but I miss the 160+ miles I could get on the 1300, but now no more messing with the 1300 choke.

Wished I had the solid aluminum wheels from the "R" instead of the spoke wheels on my "S".

#17 ·
Howdy all,
Well easy intro isn't easy for me. I never know how to talk about myself.
I'm 41, married 18 years, great kids who are on the way out of the house, in the Army Reserves, looking for work, and trying to learn everything I can about the VTX before I buy one. This way I can get the best one for my money.

I do have some questions and that's why I'm here, later on I'll linger around to talk about my VTX and do rides with other owners. :)

1. Is there a major difference between the 1300 and 1800 besides the obvious HP difference?
2. How are the rides for long distances? I'm leaning towards the cruiser setup with bags and fairing.
3. Is the decreased MPG of the 1800 worth it for the extra oomph?
4. What's the mileage difference between the two bikes?
5. What do I need to watch out for with the VTX when I go look at them to buy?

I'll stop there for now since I like to make conversation and expand as I go.
Thanks again for the help and look forward to being a full owner member.
EO, My wife has a 1300R. She did not like the 1800 because of its additional weight and much harder to get off sidestand. She is a petite 5'3" bundle of energy.

She actually bought the bike for touring and has ridden up the east coast to the tip of Nova Scotia and several trips to areas along the Mississippi. We did add a Ultimate Seat designed for short riders and she can go 500-700 miles a day. She averages about 42MPG running along at 75MPH on the highway. Around town it does a little better and I have seen over 60mpg on one very slow ride.

I think buying a bike is a major step and should only be undertaken after you have determined what you really expect the bike to do. Sometimes it wiser to start with a smaller bike perhaps around 600-850cc and gain experience and learn what you really want to do with the bike. do you really want to travel on it, or just putt around town? I started riding and touring on a Honda 50cc cub and have worked my way up over a lot of years, not to mention a lot of basic and advanced motorcycle riding schools to include track schools. I still have fond memories of the first 500cc bike I ever owned--boy that was a fun ride. But the X-6 Hustler 250cc was one of the most fun.

There are many things to look for when buying an older bike. I don't care how clean it looks, the hoses are older and may be bad, the tires should be replaced if more than 5 years old for your safety regardless of the tread condition. If possible have a certified mechanic/technician go over the bike as he will find problems you and I would miss.

Just some thoughts, good luck with your riding,
harvey

#21 ·
Welcome to the VTXOA forum from Daytona Beach. I have a 1300c and love it, I'm 6'1" and 290 lbs and the 1300 fits just fine. The 1800 will give you a little more leg room. But saying that I can't complain about the 1300. All comments above are covered pretty good. The choice is yours. Have fun and ride safely.:smile2:

#25 ·
Welcome from San Antonio. I have a 2008 1300R and it is a great bike. I would have never considered the 1800 until I saw SeaSteve's black beast! I expect that next year I will start looking for the right 1800. My hope is that my wife will learn to ride so she can take the 1300.

Either way you can't go wrong.

#26 ·
I have the 1300 but looked at the 1300 and 1800 before I bought one. For me I like the way the lighter and smaller 1300 handled and was not concerned with the extra power of the 1800. The 1300 felt right and 10 years and 55000 miles later I still love it. Been to Denver and back and plan to go west again next year. All I have done is routine maintenance and it has been trouble free. If you look under the 1300 classified section on this board a man in Tampa has a really good deal on one with low mileage and some add on already on it.Good luck and let us know what you decide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.