Ohio laws on led lighting? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Ohio laws on led lighting?

I have been reading on ohio codes for motor vehicles and can not find a law against it I found in one of the codes under code 4513.13 Cowls and fender, backup lights that amber or white light that is not bright enough to cause glare is legal. So I will get a multi color setup and ride with white and amber does anyone else here know more than this it's all I could find and I read alot of ohio codes to find this!?? To add some info I am talking about lizard kits and pods for lighting up the engine and wheels.

Live Free, Ride Free, Or die Fighting for the Right to do so!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM

General rule of thumb across the USA is NO blue lights on a civilian bike unless it is parked or a "show bike". Rear facing indicator lighting must be red or amber. Front facing indicator lighting must be amber. Headlights, driving lights and brakelights must be DOT approved regardless if Halogen, HID, LED.

What I have found asking LEOs here in SoCal is that offically you shouldn't have any lights besides signal, indicator, headlight, brake light working while driving down the street. So get a switch so you can power off the green purple pink and blue lighting when you are riding and leave the bar. An arguement can be made that under tank and fender lighting at night (if amber or red) is a safety feature, which allows drivers a better view of bikes side profile at night.

If you run a full lizard 120 LED setup with color shifting lighting in any place but the parking lot, you could find an unfriendly LEO having a bad day that could do anything from scold you to writing a fixit ticket.

Personally I love the look of a cruiser bike running through the desert with full LED lighting. Looks extremely cool.

Paul Schweizer
SoCal
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2001 Kawi Concours
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VTX View Post
General rule of thumb across the USA is NO blue lights on a civilian bike unless it is parked or a "show bike". Rear facing indicator lighting must be red or amber. Front facing indicator lighting must be amber. Headlights, driving lights and brakelights must be DOT approved regardless if Halogen, HID, LED...
Researched it before adding the ones I have on my X (about 5 years ago) and found everything above to be true for Ohio.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

this is the web site I found that basically says amber or white that does not cause glare so they would need to be decently dimmed thus a good controller to use.I think I will be good to go by leaving the multi color on amber and dimming it. here is the area I found and read about the codes.---

I have been reading on ohio codes for motor vehicles and can not find a law against it I found in one of the codes under scode 4513.13 Cowls and fender, backup lights that amber or white light that is not bright enough to cause glare is legal. So I will get a multi color setup and ride with white and amber does anyone else here know more than this it's all I could find and I read alot of ohio codes to find this! I am wanting to illuminate my bike with a multicolor led sytem wheels engine all of it. This is where I found a few codes that could relate to led lighting It takes a little reading to get to it but most of it starts near the code I listed and that code seems to be most relevent to this qeustion. thanks for the help I am thinking of multicolor and have a switch to control and only having the engine and wheels lighting up in amber and white some have dimmer switch to so I might run it low on brightness to be careful.

Live Free, Ride Free, Or die Fighting for the Right to do so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page