Honda VTX Forum banner

Snow blower trouble

5K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  mrmustang69 
#1 ·
I would have put this on the OTB but those knuckle heads would tell me Obama is causing all my mechaincal problems...

Any who, to keep this MC related The snow blower clars the driveway so I can get the bike out.

About 2 weeks ago in that crazy snow storm my Snow blower started running really ragged and would stall under load. I could start it up run it for 30 seconds and stall. Okay so I did all the stuff I know how to do on a small engine. I checked the oil, sat on a chair, scratched my head and said Awe Frick!!! Now I have to shovel.

I took it over to the dealer and right away he starts telling me the gas is stale... maybe but it was new in November of 2010 and I put some Seafoam in to stabilize the fuel. So he drains the gas rebuilds the carb.
I get it home and it runs like sh1t. better but not much.

I look at the spark plug hole and it has cob webs arond the bottom. So, I pull it and it was glistening with oil and it was covered with carbon. Would an oil fouled plug case the engine to run ragged?

Any way I guess I'll get a new plug and see what happens. Why would a factory trained rep not check the plug???? I'll never go back there. I can't wait till I got to Florida for 10 days

I just notice the threads on the cylinder head are soaked with oil
Here's a picture I stupidly wiped the oil before I took the pic.

See less See more
#3 ·
the plug is oil fouled, and there is oil moisture on top of the piston.

About 1 month ago I changed the oil, when I refilled I wasn't thinking and dumped in 1 whole qt, the proper fill is 19 ozs. So, the pan was over filled by 13 ozs. go ahead call me stupid:oops:

After filling and running it for about 20 minutes I realized that I put too much in. I looked at the manual after the fact. I drained the qt out then put in the proper amount of oil.

The overfill must have forced oil up into the combustion chamber.

I just put in a new plug and the machine ran real good for about 5 minutes then it stalled. I took out the new plug and it was covered with oil. I shined a light into the hole and there is oil in there

I think I need to get that oil out of the combustion chamber. Any ideas as to how to?

By the way snow blowers don't have air filters, I dont know why... no air filter

#5 ·
Got an air compressor? If so just rotate the engine until the exhaust valve is open so you can blow air through the exhaust system via the spark plug hole. Then get yourself a spray bottle and some mineral spirits paint thinner. Spray it in the hole, blow it through, repeat. Do that about ten times and then blow a little WD40 in it to lube the cylinder walls on restart. Keep in mind, Mineral spirits is flammable. If that doesn't fix it,
you likely have a broken ring or other issue.

#6 ·
If its just a normal 5-8hp flat head motor just yank the head off, like 6-7 bolts and your to it. Few bucks for a head gasket...

#7 ·
If its just a normal 5-8hp flat head motor just yank the head off, like 6-7 bolts and your to it. Few bucks for a head gasket...
:agree: Sounds to me that the piston rings got hosed 'hydralic locked' due to too much oil. If you have a compression tester, I'd start there, I forget but anything over 100 psi rings a bell. After the heads removed there are like 4 bolts that hold the jug on if I remember right, or you'll have to slide the piston out the bottom... it's been ages since I broke one down so this is all from a 35-40yr memory.
If the enginge is a tecumceh (sp) just pull it and replace it w/ a Briggs & Stratton... those tecumech engines are junk IMO they always seem to break rods.

Good luck... better hurry... da snows a-commin' ;)

#8 ·
You havent really said, is that thing smoking like crazy?
Over filling with oil wouldnt have hurt the rings, even a hydrolock wouldnt hurt the rings, it might snap a rod, or bust a piston, but not the rings.
If it is a regular 4 stroke engine, that you have previously over filled with oil, you will need to remove the cover where you check valve clearance, and get the oil out of the crankcase vent. It is on the side of the engine and has a hose running to the carburetor. It has a "filter" type media in it, and it will be saturated with oil, and the oil is getting "sucked" into the intake.

If the engine ran with the overfilled oil, and didnt seize, then the engine will be ok from that.
I dont suggest removing the head yet, as I think your trouble is elsewhere.
What little oil that would remain in the head area would burn off in under a minute. If there is oil arriving from somewhere else, that is what you have to find, and I believe you will find it to be the crankcase vent.

#9 ·
You havent really said, is that thing smoking like crazy?
Over filling with oil wouldnt have hurt the rings, even a hydrolock wouldnt hurt the rings, it might snap a rod, or bust a piston, but not the rings.
If it is a regular 4 stroke engine, that you have previously over filled with oil, you will need to remove the cover where you check valve clearance, and get the oil out of the crankcase vent. It is on the side of the engine and has a hose running to the carburetor. It has a "filter" type media in it, and it will be saturated with oil, and the oil is getting "sucked" into the intake.

If the engine ran with the overfilled oil, and didnt seize, then the engine will be ok from that.
I dont suggest removing the head yet, as I think your trouble is elsewhere.
What little oil that would remain in the head area would burn off in under a minute. If there is oil arriving from somewhere else, that is what you have to find, and I believe you will find it to be the crankcase vent.
Bingo:agree:. Pick up a second plug for later and and make sure the oil is back down to the right level. Then you can either keep changing/cleaning plugs till you burn off the excess oil or get rid of the oil by cleaning up the vent system. Don't forget to check the air filter IF it has one. Most OEM snowblower powerheads won't have an air filter but I don't want to assume yours doesn't have one like in the case of a replacement engine from a lawn mower, etc.

#10 ·
Why would a factory trained rep not check the plug???? I'll never go back there.
Big O trained him. Sorry couldn't resist...:mrgreen:
Anyway I think your best bet is to bring it to a small engine repair shop.
If it has electric start pull the plug and turn it over a few times. That should blow excess oil out the plug hole. Just my opinion

BTW is it a two stroke by any chance?

#11 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to clean the oil out

It has the right amount of oil in it now.

Its a 4 stroke, single cylinder, 7 hp, Tecumseh
Its not showing any blue smoke at all
I have a compressor, Blow out through exhaust valve
I can crank the engine w the spark pl hole open
It does not have a air filter
I can take the valve cover off and check that filter medium
I'll get a few plugs to have to keep on hand til the thing is clear

I hope I don't need to take the heads off.

#12 ·
This is how i get the oil out of the top end i pull the plug and put my finger over the hole and pull the starter rope the compression will blow your finger off the spark plug hole and in the process it will blow the remaining oil out try it it works i work on small engines alot

#13 ·
This is how i get the oil out of the top end i pull the plug and put my finger over the hole and pull the starter rope the compression will blow your finger off the spark plug hole and in the process it will blow the remaining oil out try it it works i work on small engines alot
And have a friend who owes you money hold the sparkplug boot and have HIS finger over the plug hole while you pull the cord :yikes:

#14 ·
Bingo:agree:. Pick up a second plug for later and and make sure the oil is back down to the right level. Then you can either keep changing/cleaning plugs till you burn off the excess oil or get rid of the oil by cleaning up the vent system. Don't forget to check the air filter IF it has one. Most OEM snowblower powerheads won't have an air filter but I don't want to assume yours doesn't have one like in the case of a replacement engine from a lawn mower, etc.
:bowdown:Thanks GlennW... and everyone else :bowdown: I love this board!!

Alright I'm out in the garage. I took off the valve cover, filter medium and (what my novice eyes interpret as a) "REED" valve. as soon I cracked the plate about 2 tablespoons of oil drained out. the filter medium was dirty and dripping with oil, there was a puddle in the back of the valve cavity. The vent tube was dripping oil all over the side of the engine. (I couldn't see it because the Carbuerator heat shroud covered the leaking oil).

I called NVR2fast aka Shaun (he and VTXRosa, Bob are our Technical consultants assigned to this region of the VTXOA for all things internal combustion).

Shaun confirmed that there should not be any excess oil in there.:thumbup:

I took all the disassembled parts and soaked them in WD-40 and scrubed them gently. I then washed out all the parts with warm/hot soapy water. a lot of gunk came off. Then I used compressed air to dry all the parts. I'm going to let them sit over night to throughly dry. I also used a few clean paper towels to absorb the puddle inside the valve body.

Question 1: Should I put a drop or 2 of oil on the filter medium and rub it in before I put it back together or should I just leave it dry?

Question 2: I had to take the muffler off to get to the valve cover in doing so I broke the gasket. Is that important or should I get a new gasket?

Most importantly, Question 3: do young beautiful girls think the same thing I'm thinking when I meet them?

In case you are wondering why I'm willing to put so much time and money into this 1985 snow blower, when I could buy one for $700 at big box USA. Well,When I bought it new in '85 it was the entry level higher end model. The dealer told me a comparable model today would be $1500:yikes:. This machine is worth even a new engine at $400 or so if the engine needs replaced someday. This the first time I've had to repair it, in 25 years of use, except for grease, oil and belts. Its the first time I've ever taken the valve cover off. They don't make em like this anymore.

#15 ·
Most importantly, Question 3: do young beautiful girls think the same thing I'm thinking when I meet them?

If they are thinking "man, she's hot" I'm going to have to defer my answer to a referral for psychiatric evaluation, to which they will tell you...it's Obama's fault.

#16 ·
:bowdown:Thanks GlennW... and everyone else :bowdown: I love this board!!

Alright I'm out in the garage. I took off the valve cover, filter medium and (what my novice eyes interpret as a) "REED" valve. as soon I cracked the plate about 2 tablespoons of oil drained out. the filter medium was dirty and dripping with oil, there was a puddle in the back of the valve cavity. The vent tube was dripping oil all over the side of the engine. (I couldn't see it because the Carbuerator heat shroud covered the leaking oil).

I called NVR2fast aka Shaun (he and VTXRosa, Bob are our Technical consultants assigned to this region of the VTXOA for all things internal combustion).

Shaun confirmed that there should not be any excess oil in there.:thumbup:

I took all the disassembled parts and soaked them in WD-40 and scrubed them gently. I then washed out all the parts with warm/hot soapy water. a lot of gunk came off. Then I used compressed air to dry all the parts. I'm going to let them sit over night to throughly dry. I also used a few clean paper towels to absorb the puddle inside the valve body.

Question 1: Should I put a drop or 2 of oil on the filter medium and rub it in before I put it back together or should I just leave it dry? no, it'll oil itself like it or not, and it's not operating in an intake mode like a carb

Question 2: I had to take the muffler off to get to the valve cover in doing so I broke the gasket. Is that important or should I get a new gasket?if really should be replaced to keep from there being any chance of sucking in cold air past the valve as it closes & cracking it should there be a big leak. (in the real world if you don't hear a ticking noise from the exhaust or feel/hear a leak I wouldn't shovel by hand until you can get a gasket)

Most importantly, Question 3: do young beautiful girls think the same thing I'm thinking when I meet them? Yes, they're all wondering what they taste like, too.

In case you are wondering why I'm willing to put so much time and money into this 1985 snow blower, when I could buy one for $700 at big box USA. Well,When I bought it new in '85 it was the entry level higher end model. The dealer told me a comparable model today would be $1500:yikes:. This machine is worth even a new engine at $400 or so if the engine needs replaced someday. This the first time I've had to repair it, in 25 years of use, except for grease, oil and belts. Its the first time I've ever taken the valve cover off. They don't make em like this anymore. Very true, finally had to replace my late 80s Ariens 724 machine two years ago when it siezed & snapped the connecting rod. Prior to that I'd only replaced belts, shear pins, and axle bearings.
;)

#17 ·
Why are those dogs in jail?

#22 ·
quote I would have put this on the OTB but those knuckle heads would tell me Obama is causing all my mechaincal problems...
No sir Obama did not cause your machainal problems...Al GORE did !!! If it was not for his global warming you would not need that snowblower
And about that #3 question ..I hope she's not thinking the same thing I am ..Tha would make her a lesbian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.