Honda VTX Forum banner

Honda Helix

10K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Six2Go 
#1 ·
Gonna retire soon and was thinking of getting a 2007 Helix. One of the local dealers has one for $3,999. Instead of getting in the cage or firing up the VTX just to go less than a mile to the grocery store. Anything negative about the Helix, or is there some other scooter in the 250cc range better?

#4 ·
I had a friend that rode with us from here to Cleveland on one of those. I couldn't believe it and he had no trouble keeping up. He got great gas mileage too.Good luck.

#5 ·
HELIX

I owned a Helix for five years and 5000 miles. Loved it. You can ride 60 mph all day long and get 60 mpg. I would recommend it for anyone looking for comfortable short hop use.

I live in Ia. and I ran into a guy from Ca. doing a cross country trip on his. He had 49000 miles on at that time.

Jim

#7 ·
You need to get a Honda Big Ruckus PS250. The drive train comes from the helix, Linked braking, automatic CVT, 60 mpg. The back rest goes down for a passenger. Only imported to the US 05 and 06, but they are still being made so parts are no problem. It's the humvee of the scooter world. I leave the X at home while traveling and carry the BR on the back of my Jeep and tow them behind my RV. Climbs like a goat and will do 75 mph. Check it out.

Attachments

#8 ·
Piaggio MP3

If I were in the market for a scooter, this would be my choice. Read up on the Piaggio MP3 line of scooters. They tear up the canyons back home in SoCal. The front has a very unique 'tilting' suspension.

Regards,
Joe T.

Attachments

#9 ·
You need to get a Honda Big Ruckus PS250. The drive train comes from the helix, Linked braking, automatic CVT, 60 mpg. The back rest goes down for a passenger. Only imported to the US 05 and 06, but they are still being made so parts are no problem. It's the humvee of the scooter world. I leave the X at home while traveling and carry the BR on the back of my Jeep and tow them behind my RV. Climbs like a goat and will do 75 mph. Check it out.
Yep, I am actually looking for 2 of the 50's to carry in the Toyhauler for the short run into town or fishing trips or just scooting around the campground..
Would not mind the 250 though....nice scoot

#11 ·
#12 ·
My brother had one of the first ones. I think it was an '86. He had it for a few years then moved up to a 600VLX.
That Helix was sweet. His had a digital dash and a factory Kenwood stereo that cranked.
I can remember doing 75mph on the freeway with that thing.
It doesn't seem to have changed much over the years to look at them.
Go for it!

#14 ·
Ya might want to take a Burgman 650 for a ride? Mine will do over 100 on the slab and gets 45 to 50 mpg. Huge storage area under the seat.

Six2go
:agree: My wife's Burgman 650 is a blast to ride (its like a mini goldwing) I call it the station wagon. She can haul 2 gallons of milk and 8 bags of groceries with out having to strap anything to the seat :lol:

#15 ·
yep....

I have hauled all kinds of stuff in and on my Burgman. The have the premium version that is called the executive and it has an electric windscreen electric mirrors that can be folded and then opened and with heated seat and grips. I have done that go to the store thing and hauled 2 gallons of milk and three or four bags of groceries under the seat. That 650 gets laughed at until they can't catch it with a diesel pick up. One guy tried me on up to around 95 and he finally quit. From the reports on BurgmaUSA board the 650 used ones are selling pretty cheap so that might be a nice 4 grand or so way to go? Lots of reports on doing the Dragon and such on the Burgies and they handle real well.

#16 ·
I had a Helix when I was a kid. That thing was great. 70 mph was not a problem on that thing. I didn't really take care of it and I killed it. I regret that to this day. I would probably still have it...

#20 ·
I was where you are about a year ago, wanted a Burgman real bad. Still do.
Rode the Honda at a stealership and did not like the rocking horse feel to the ride. Seemed to rock front to back everywhere I went. Never got to test the Burgman but sure did my home work and with all the storage space under the seat with the bigger platform and engine the Burgman is a no brainer. Could not convense the wife I could be happy with a scooter so I got another VTX. I still want a Burgman.

#22 ·
hmmmmm...............

There is a magazine called SCOOT that has items from around the world about scooters. There is a large racing venue in Europe with the Burgmans that has some way cool versions with hopped up engines and pipes and tires. Fun to see a racer haning off a burgie and just going like stink.

Six2go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.