LED turn Signals - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

LED turn Signals

This is just a topic for some conversation, and to get different points of view.
I've seen guys putting LED turn signals in their stock signal housings & lenses.

My question is: Why?

Having said that, I'm in the process of replacing my front lights (headlight and spotlights) with LEDS, but that's a different topic.

I guess I don't understand the point the changing out the turnsignals. For those applications, the LED replacements aren't any brighter, and since they're behind colored lenses, the whiteness isn't an issue. Lower power draw? Pfft, bike generates it's own, you're not paying the light company.

So beyond the "cool" factor, why do it?

Dogs understand why bikers ride

'04 VTX 1300 Silver Retro
C.R.A.P. Member #007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Lower amp draw leaves power for more add on goodies.
Heated gear
Driving lights
Stereo amp

List gos on.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Lower amp draw leaves power for more add on goodies.
Heated gear
Driving lights
Stereo amp

List gos on.
Counter point to that argument: Most applications need to put in a dummy load resister to correct the turn signal flasher, thus consuming the same draw as an incandescent bulb.

The smart ones find the adjusted signal flashers.

C.R.A.P. Member #007

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX-Ryder View Post
Counter point to that argument: Most applications need to put in a dummy load resister to correct the turn signal flasher, thus consuming the same draw as an incandescent bulb.

All about doing your homework and asking questions.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Install a new electronic flasher. I have LEDs in the back and standard bulbs in the front. No load resisters.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
my 2 cents

Quote:
This is just a topic for some conversation, and to get different points of view.
I've seen guys putting LED turn signals in their stock signal housings & lenses.

Having said that, I'm in the process of replacing my front lights (headlight and spotlights) with LEDS, but that's a different topic.

I guess I don't understand the point the changing out the turnsignals. For those applications, the LED replacements aren't any brighter, and since they're behind colored lenses, the whiteness isn't an issue. Lower power draw? Pfft, bike generates it's own, you're not paying the light company.

I did a little research:
1.) LED's are not as subject to failure due to vibration as a stock bulb.
2.) LED's do shine brighter in direct view.
3.) LED's are on much faster than halogen.
4.) LED's run much cooler than stock or after-market halogen.
5.) LED's last longer.

Cons ?
1.) COST ! ---especially for good ones (number of LED's per panel, where greater is better).
2.) May not be plug-n-play.
3.) May require the purchase and installation of a load resistor.

Quote:
LED Stands for Light Emitting Diode. LEDs are bright but use very little power, typically only 26mA of current per LED. LEDs produce extremely low amounts of heat, are high impact resistant, and come in waterproof enclosures. The Average Life of an LED is approximately 100,000 hours or 10 years of continuous use, much longer than conventional light bulbs. In addition, LEDs look cool and give your bike a unique custom look.

LEDs illuminate approximately 20% faster than conventional bulbs. Because LEDs illuminate faster, this may provide greater reaction time for vehicles approaching you.

LEDs are very intense but also very directional, meaning the light beam does not diverge. Although most of the newer LEDs have wider viewing angles, it is still important to use as many LEDs as you can fit in your housing. If you are replacing your turn signal or tail light with LEDs, we suggest that you look for an LED Kit first, if one is not available for your model bike, then measure the diameter of the housing and select the largest LED Cluster that is available. You will get the best results from using the most LEDs.

Source:
http://www.customdynamics.com/led_mo...hting_faqs.htm

Back when I was considering LED's for my bike I did a lot of research and discovered that LED's are brighter than stock bulbs, but there was discussion/concern (on this site) regarding using them for brake lights, that they have a weakness when viewed at an angle. I bought a set of LED signals and sure enough, they were much brighter viewed from directly behind, however they were weaker than stock when viewed from an angle. Because of this, I personally switched out my LED's with Halogen bulbs, that are brighter than stock, but don't have the angle weakness. This was years ago, so perhaps the newer LED's have overcome some of the viewing angle issues?

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Some good discussion.

About the flasher. Yep, I already have one ordered. I'm already planning to change out the incandescent bulbs for LED, for most of the reasons stated here already. I'll be experimenting with a couple different types.

C.R.A.P. Member #007
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Garage
Or you could just run my $75 headlight (10 min install and 4400 lumen) and stay with standard bulbs in TS. They work fine. If really needing to save a few watts get LED TS bulbs and an electronic flasher. Run a Kisan Signal Minder in mine.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

It's a bit more than "cool factor", actually. The bike BARELY generates enough power to recharge the battery, with normal lights on the bike, so if you use LEDs, then there is some "extra" power available to use for other accessories. Plus, IMHO, it keeps the battery charged better, with less drain in the first place, so you don't need to do as much "management" or "maintaining" of the battery. Some may not see it that way, but I do. When the weather is really cold (sub-freezing temps), those electric gloves I have make a HUGE difference in the comfort of the ride.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House O' Pain View Post
I bought a set of LED signals and sure enough, they were much brighter viewed from directly behind, however they were weaker than stock when viewed from an angle. Because of this, I personally switched out my LED's with Halogen bulbs, that are brighter than stock, but don't have the angle weakness...
I also gave the LED taillight a try, and didn't like it. For me, the LED seemed to lack some "color depth" behind the red lens, which wasn't a problem for the incandescent bulb. The LED's also didn't work with my "blue-dots" either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page