Honda VTX1300 vs Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, forget the Harley... - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Nes

Honda VTX1300 vs Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, forget the Harley...

Looking for any info on a comparison of the VTX1300 to, not a Harley mind you, but a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500... and don't forget the V-Star 1100 by Yamaha as a third contender. Though it may not really compete.
Trying to get some owner input on some of this. This is kind of a show down between the big three V-twins. I think that all three bikes are of pretty high quality though I feel Honda does make a better machine.
I read one review about the VTX1300 that made me pause, it accused Honda of being insincere about the VTX1300 line. Some short-cuts not found on the 1800, (excess plastic, exposed wires, ect) and the clunking noise at 1st and 2nd gear ("..very unlike Honda") Riders almost unanimously have extremely high praise for the VTX 1300, but it does have its list of concerns. Any thoughts?
Reviews on the Vulcan praise its fuel injected smoothness, its comfort and its reliability. The Vulcan and the V-Star are nice bikes and they have their devoted fans, but a comparison of them and the VTX1300 or VTX1800 is not easily found.
I am on a slow boat in Singapore and I will be buying my new bike when I return stateside. Have many miles to go and some decisions to make before I land. I am thinking very seriously about the VTX1300C, it just seems right. (I am thinking the 1800 may be too much..) But the Vulcan….? Hmmm.. Long live and prosper?

Nes
2007 V-Star 1300, Candy Red!
Stock options ... pending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM

I had a 2004 Vulcan Classic 1600. Great bike and sounds great with Vance and Hines Big shots. The Vulcan has a lot of good things, gas gauge, blinker shutoff, gas cap hinge. It also has a single crank pin that makes her sound good. It rides great and the suspension doesnt need any work. If I get another to go with the X I'll get the Vulcan 1600 Mean streak.

Black '03 1800c

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful....Jimmy Buffett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM

The 1500 is a great highway bike, FI, but disappointingly tame.
If highway was my primary ride I'd have picked the 1500.
I beleive the 1300 is easier to whip around and handles better in town.
The VTX gets 5-6 mpg more.

Both bikes are of excellent quality. I am very familiar with both, having logged many miles on each and I considered each carefully.
I choose the VTX because the 1500 is doggy and has a higher center of gravity.
If I had choosen the 1500 though, I doubt I would have been disapointed
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:10 PM

Two of my riding buddies have V-Star 1100's, one a custom, the other a classic. The one with the classic (brand new) still has his older Vulcan 1500. We all went on a ride this past weekend, with another friend borrowing the Vulcan, and another buddy on a Shadow 1100. I probably could have pulled away from them all had I wanted to, but all are capable of staying with each other during any kind of normal riding. The interesting thing to note was the V-Star classic was dragging his floorboards all over the place, and I only touched down once. We were going the same speed around the same corners. Maybe he was trying to do it. I know I was definately trying not to.

2002 1800S Illusion Blue
Jardine Drags, Hypercharger Pro, Honda windshield and lowers, Kury Iso-grips, Corbin Rumble seat, Cobra Fatty highway bar.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Nes

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your info.
I am reading the things that I think I was hoping I would find. The Vulcan is a good bike, has some nice perks that make it a good purchase. Riders who have had one don't regret it, and may get another one.... but the VTX is in the garage!

Any other cruiser stories out there, any other bikes to compare the VTX to... besides Harley's?

This last is actually a rib-poke at a friend of mine, a Harley enthusiast through and through, who feels personally betrayed at my sliding preference towards the 'metric side'. He actually dragged me down to the Singapore Harley Davidson dealer and made me sit on an electric-blue Springer Classic. Nice bike! But not at $18,000 bucks. Cripes!

Sadly the Singapore Honda dealer caters to only small bikes for the local preferences here. I must wait further to have the privilege of sitting on my own VTX1300C.

Nes
2007 V-Star 1300, Candy Red!
Stock options ... pending!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 AM

How can you go wrong with a VTX1300? There are five bikes parked in my basement (walk-out basement). Yes, there's also a Sportster and a Road King in there. Still, I certainly cannot complain about my VTX1300S. Really, what's not to like? Good power and handling and it's water-cooled. Plastic chrome doesn't bother me - it's lighter and will never rust. AND there are plenty accessories out there for the VTX. Much more so than for most other bikes. Plus, it's a HONDA. My advice would be to get the VTX and never look back.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 AM
wayne

My wife rides a 1100 v-star and I drag the floor board before she does.
That was before I lowered it 2 inchs.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tombstone
All right! Another inmate joins the asylum! Welcome to the board. Once you get stateside, go around to the dealers and park your butt on each of the models you're considering. Test ride if possible and make your decision after you've weighed all the evidence. You need to pick a bike you'll love for AT LEAST the life of the loan and the only sure way to do that is through physical contact with the machines themselves. Best of luck on your purchase decision; post often and let us know how you're doing.

Tombstone (AMA # 282162)
USAF MSgt Retired (1986-2010)
2014 Harley-Davidson Road King
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
"Ride South, Ride Often"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe
Plastic chrome doesn't bother me - it's lighter and will never rust.
Sure does scratch easily and it tends to "fade" for lack of a better term.

Lots of stuff...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe
Plastic chrome doesn't bother me - it's lighter and will never rust.
Sure does scratch easily and it tends to "fade" for lack of a better term.
OK, that's true.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page