Ok, tell me how to use a Motorcycle jack. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok, tell me how to use a Motorcycle jack.

I got a sears motorcycle jack for Christmas. I have never used one before and would like to know the proper procedure for lifting the bike. Do I put something under the kick stand to put the bike in a more vertical position? Jack for the right side (opposite the kick stand side) of the bike ? Do it use straps..yada..yada...yada?

Thanks

06 Candy Black Cherry 1300C with Foots Mod, Chrome rims, final, and swingarm.........and a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Which jack did you get? The reason I ask is that some jacks won't slide under the X without some kind of blocks under the wheels to lift it up enough for the jack to slide under. If it is the red jack from Sears, I think I used a couple of 2x6s to get the jack under, if it is the aluminum yellow one from Sears it slides right under. What I usually do is put the jack under the bike just far enough back to gain access to the oil filter and make sure all my drain plugs are clear. Then I put one ratchet tie on it just in case going from the lifting part of the jack over the transfer case between the jugs and then back down to the jack. Do not attach your tie down to the bottom part of the jack that does not move, it will break your tie and whack you with the broken strap, just don't ask me how I know.

I jack mine up the first few pumps sitting on the bike off the kickstand, until it steadies on the jack frame I set on it just in case, once it centers up and stand up by itself I dismount and then jack it up the rest of the way.
If you have the red Sear jack, I would make use of the stops and bleed the hydrolics off of the jack, I left mine up and the rear seal blew, which has happened to a few on this board, it was a bear gaining enough pressure to lift it up off the stop enough to get her down.

'03 1800 VTX C - Black -
Bought new in '05, for a song...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM

I have a block (4"x4") of wood I put under the kickstand when its parked in the garage. Can slide the jack in from the opposite side. You will have to determine where the jack will bring the front and rear wheel up evenly. eyeball center and go from there.
I don't use the straps since I have a Pepsx stand and a table lift (if the bike is going to be disabled for any length of time)

Don't forget to use the safety bars.....I know here when its cold the jack can lose pressure over time.

www.utahvtxriders.com
2003 Black 1800U, 2005 Black 1300C (Wifes)
2002 1800 Project Phat Bike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Old Goat

My apologies I dont have a sears jack I have a kobalt that slides under the bike , I just push it under and pull the bike toward me by the bars so its straight up , it has a foot pedal and I just pump. good luck

Phil "I should be riding" Ford
06 CBC 1300R Darkside/Foots
"Have You Hugged Your Dog Today"
R.I.P Buddie 2003 - 2015
R.I.P Ginger 2009 - 2015

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 PM

All good stuff from Preacher. A couple of things I would add are: Take your time the first time and find the balance point. The position where both wheels come off the ground at the same time. Once you've done that, use a paint pen or nail polish or whatever to make a small mark on the frame rail so that in the future you can just slide the jack right into the proper position. I also have the red craftsman jack and have had no problems with it. When my bike was stock it slid under it without any hassle. Now with the "cut" shocks I have to push the bike up onto some planking in order to get the jack under it. Having a buddy around when you're gonna lift it is nice, not absolutely necessary but nice. I usually get my kid to help me. I never use the straps. I'm the only person who goes into the garage and it has a good concrete floor so I don't worry about it to much. Some guys say they use them all the time. So do what you're comfortable with. Always set the weight of the bike on one of the locks (there are three) that makes the lift a stand.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:12 PM

I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT!

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAna
I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT!
If your referring to the directions , we're men we dont need no stinkin directions

Phil "I should be riding" Ford
06 CBC 1300R Darkside/Foots
"Have You Hugged Your Dog Today"
R.I.P Buddie 2003 - 2015
R.I.P Ginger 2009 - 2015

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX
Quote:
If your referring to the directions , we're men we dont need no stinkin directions
Yep- I am and apparently some of us do!
I usually try and be more helpful but dam n, it ain't rocket science.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
TCB
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX
Quote:
Directions Are those those things U READ before U screw up something Damn it Man I always go the hard way and Screw it up first and learn from My Misstakes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
Keep it Up Strait
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT! Rolling Eyes
NDAna.....smart ass... you can stop rolling your eyes now. I did read the Operator's Manual...DUH. The information in the Operator's Manual is so elementary compared to the advise from folks on this board with practical experience using the jack. Your comments are unnecessary and best kept to yourself.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback. It is appreciated.

06 Candy Black Cherry 1300C with Foots Mod, Chrome rims, final, and swingarm.........and a lot more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page