Megaboost Batteries (Cycle Gear) - Any Experience? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Megaboost Batteries (Cycle Gear) - Any Experience?

Hello all, this is my first post to the new board I think, it's good to be back! Starting to get used to the look....

I was wondering if anyone here has every dealt with, or had a Megaboost Battery. I bought one a couple of months ago for the X, a little better price than the others, and it had a lifetime warrenty, so I figured, what the heck!

I got a full charge on it, rode it, it fired up, ran great, all was well. Then it was thanksgiving, we went to Ill for the week, I came home sick, and then it got worse, walking pnemonia in fact. So with that said, I was down for about three weeks, working but little else. Din't even think about the bike, no charger, no riding. Then it was Christmas, gone another week. Got back, decided to uncover and try the bike. Nothing, not a single dash light even.

Put the battery tender on, leave it for two days, never turns green. Still nothing.

Even if you don't have one of these batteries, is it complelty gone? Any hope? Do you think it's the battery, or just the fact that it sat so long. I swear I have batteries sit longer and at least give some sign of life, maybe not enough amps to turn the motor, but something.

Thanks all......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Till 03/09: '05 VTX1300R, Red, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, Hypercharger, etc...etc...etc

Present: 2010 HD Street Glide, lots of black.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

A good battery, should be able to take a drain and recharge. I said "Good" battery, like Yuasa. Seems this "Megaboost" is not taking a charge and may be dead. Next time, stick with a Yuasa battery and you'll be a lot better off.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM

My oem Yuasa lasted six years and I replaced it with the same, but I have never went 3 weeks without riding. Have a battery tender but never used it.

2002 VTX1800c-Mustang seat-V&H Big Shots with TM baffles-Thunder Hurricane-Power Command III-Memphis Shades Big Shot-Madco Cam Lock-31T-Bridgestone Tires-Progressive 412 HD-Progressive front springs-X Hinge -Bosh plugs-5 40 Rotella oil with Pure one filters-Barnett Clutch with HD springs-lot of Honda and Kury chrome and other goodies.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM

DEKA

Yuasa is very good but my 25 years of battery experience would recommend DEKA brand. American made in PA in the worlds largest
battery factory. Original Equipment supplier to HD for the past 8 years.
www.dekabatteries.com I expect a unfavorable response from Spike
but I KNOW BATTERIES.

Batteries are my life. I am always starting something. 02 1800S RED of course
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Till 03/09: '05 VTX1300R, Red, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, Hypercharger, etc...etc...etc

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

What are we "Bumping" ? Are you looking for another answer other than "Your battery is dead, you need a new one"? If it isn't taking a charge, it's dead. Take it to a Napa or Auto Zone and have them test it.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah dude, what I am "bumping" or looking for is the answer to my question, has anyone used the megaboost battery. Has anyone experiences that with a battery. Not looking for Chicago Spikes favorite brand. I could find that in about 30 other posts on this board. Thanks for keeping an eye on all the posts though, and determining which one are acceptable to look for opinions other than yours.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Wow, lighten up just a bit dude. I didn't know you were looking for other Megaboost buyers, I thought you were looking for more help on why your battery wasn't taking a charge. That's why I asked why the bump, and I suggested taking to an auto parts store to have it tested. It was a question, to help me and others better help you, nothing person was intended.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Just checked this prior to heading into my last meeting of the day, yep, at 7 PM. Which maybe explains my harsh post, just been one of those long days. My apologies, as I always respect your posts and opinions, and one of those members here that you can count on for the right advice.

My other frustration is that I spent fairly decent money on this mega-crap battery, with it's "lifetime warrenty" and expected better from it. I guess my thought is, or question was, other than riding more, which I just couldn't do over the time in question, was there more I should have done? Keep the thing on a trickle or battery tender the whole time? One a week? Should a battery drain out like that completely in a month and not take a charge? With that said, would a Yuasa have behaved the same way under my lack of attention?

Is it just, as they said one of those Chris Farley / David Spade movies..."You can put a warrenty on a box of crap, but you still have a box of crap!"

Thanks all......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

No problems, typed words are hard to get the meanings from. As for another battery doing the same, no they shouldn't. Unless you have some parasitic draw happening where the juice is draining away even though the bike is off, a battery should be fine for at least a month with no help. Just as a point, my bike has been under a cover since November and not plugged into a tender, and I just had it on last week and the battery was fine. It is plugged in now, and it only took about 6 hours for the light to go green saying fully charged again.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page