Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations? - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM

I didn't think you could even renew your license with an upaid ticket on your record. You can't in Tennessee, anyhow.

'08 Road Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM

O.K. guys, here's the deal:
A drivers license is not a right, it is a priveledge.
What that means is this: Suspension of the license can be had for failure to appear, failure to pay a fine, and in some States, failure to pay child support and or taxes.
If you no show or fail to pay the fine, they can throw your a** in jail (Criminal).
Suspension of the license is a Civil remedy.
Since all States get Federal $$'s for road building/maintenance, they must agree to be part of what is known as the Interstate Compact. That means violations not answered as well as suspensions, are on a National Database. If the State does not report these, they loose the Federal money

'04 1300C Pearl Orange. Way too many mods.
LOGICA DEFECTA STERCUS TAURI EXPLORANDUS EST.
"When logic fails, try bulls*it."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Two of us got stopped in BYRON WYO, last year in a speed trap in their town. They said Wyo had an agreement with Iowa so I could pay my fine by mailing it in. He said if I didn't pay by a certain date then Iowa would pull my licence till the fine was paid. My friend was from Michigan that didn't have an agreement so his option was to either pay the fine on the spot, ( a cc was fine) or go to jail untill the matter was taken care of.

The fine for me was $100 so I just gave him a c-note hoping he would just pocket it and never send in the paperwork.....

I do warn you about BYRON,,, their speed limit is 5mph lower than most of the other towns around, and they enforce it to the max.....

The cop bragged about how many people he pulled over every week, and it appeared staggereing. He said it wasn't about the money, ( Dodge 3Ton decked out with everything you could imagine) but that the city fathers wanted to protect the childern. I thought afterwards they should put signs up on the outskirts of town that say SPEEDTRAP IF YOU SPEED YOU WILL GET A TICKET. I think that would warn us visitors who pass through once in a lifetime to slow down so we don't become a hazard to their children.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bridgestone 205/60/16 Pozenta G019
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl2020 View Post
What that means is this: Suspension of the license can be had for failure to appear, failure to pay a fine, and in some States, failure to pay child support and or taxes.
If you no show or fail to pay the fine, they can throw your a** in jail (Criminal).
Since all States get Federal $$'s for road building/maintenance, they must agree to be part of what is known as the Interstate Compact. That means violations not answered as well as suspensions, are on a National Database. If the State does not report these, they loose the Federal money
And you are the guy to set the record straight.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks LaMonster
I just re-read my post and want to clarify one point:
It is only when a FTA or other violation results in a suspension of a Drivers License that it is reported out of State.

'04 1300C Pearl Orange. Way too many mods.
LOGICA DEFECTA STERCUS TAURI EXPLORANDUS EST.
"When logic fails, try bulls*it."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSharky View Post
Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations? I went to add my mc endorsement to my Fl driver license yesterday, and a ticket from 30 years ago from VT showed up, which I don't remember ever getting, but I guess I could have, but 30 years ago. I thought they could only hold something against you for sever years?
"Statute of limitations" only applies to unsolved crimes. If a suspect is made after the statue of limitations, the suspect cannot be charged. (Excluding some very serious crimes such as homicide)
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl2020 View Post
And that is exactly the point *I* was making....

Why is the state waiting until YOU come to THEM to find this stuff if they are required to talk to each other?

If I stop paying my insurance, they send me hate mail immediately.

I would think that if I have outstanding whatevers, wherever, given todays high state of technology they should be able to contact me immediately.

Instead, the state sits on it for years....and then gets to collect a hefty amount of penalties. So even if the person THOUGHT it was taken care of decades ago, it can still cost him dearly.

Thats not right IMHO.

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Once, we were on a cross-country trip, riding on a straight azz, deserted road through the Arizona desert (it went up and down, but was straight as an arrow). Well, being the middle of the week, we didn't' see anyone for miles and miles, so we sorta started to have a little fun (racing). We noticed a sign indicating a "tee" intersection was coming up so we slowed waaaaay down (but still a wee bit over the speed limit). Of course with my luck, as we passed over the next hill, we got caught in a radar trap. Anyway, the point is, Arizona had a reciprocity agreement with Texas (our home state) which allowed us to take defensive driving in Texas and apply it towards our Arizona tickets. That was cool.

Todd
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Contact the state and see if they will take a wire transfer or pay by credit card??? Can't hurt to ask. Also, once a violation is satisfied in most states you can have the record expunged in three years from that date. When the record is accessed it will only show the expungement.

Darth [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] RoadDawg
Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
And that is exactly the point *I* was making....

Why is the state waiting until YOU come to THEM to find this stuff if they are required to talk to each other?

If I stop paying my insurance, they send me hate mail immediately.

I would think that if I have outstanding whatevers, wherever, given todays high state of technology they should be able to contact me immediately.

Instead, the state sits on it for years....and then gets to collect a hefty amount of penalties. So even if the person THOUGHT it was taken care of decades ago, it can still cost him dearly.

Thats not right IMHO.
The state is not the villain in this situation if you got the ticket it is up to YOU to satisfy the fine or court. It is the drivers responsibility to satisfy ALL matters to the state and ascertain that it is in fact entered into the record as such. The state is not a "care" or "don't care" entity and your drivers license is YOUR responsibility to maintain. That is how they see it legally.

Darth [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] RoadDawg
Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page