Chances of wrecking a motorcycle - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Chances of wrecking a motorcycle

I love to ride but I always have that fear in the back of my head of wrecking. I was just curious to see how many people wrecked before and how long you have been riding. If you ride for let's say 25 years, what do you think the chances of eventually wrecking is? I know that there are many ways to get hurt or die throughout the day, but how risky is riding? I am definetely a safe rider IMO and always ride like I am invisible. I am more scared of the other crazy people on the rode than I am of my riding skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 AM

ridin time

I've been riding 45 years (ouch-must be gettin old)-been in 2 wrecks. You gotta watch other people comin outa everywhere. like you said-don't worry about you iys the other crazies
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM

35 years +, all good.

35+ years of riding, and never been down. I've come close, but it was when I was doing something I shouldn't, or just not being careful. Ride defensively, assume the other guy doesn't see you, watch for road hazards, avoid riding at night (when possible), avoid rain/snow/ice, stay out of other driver's blind spots, and keep your bike, brakes and tires in good working order.

Most accidents are caused by other drivers who claim "I never saw him" and pulled out in front of you from a side street or parking lot exit. Whenever you're on a two-laned road, ride in the center-most lane away from cars entering the roadway. When approaching a car that is entering the roadway, slow down and assume that they will pull out in front of you. If they do, your speed is already reduced and you should be able to stop. Intersections are notorious also. Slow down, look left and right and when you're sure no one is going to run the light and broadside you, crank the throttle and get across the intersection quickly.

When on the highway, keep the most distance possible between you and other cars. Keep an eye out for on-ramps and merging traffic and assume they don't see you. Keep your headlight ON and if you have auxiliary lighting (light bar) keep those on too.

When stopped at a red light and a car is in front of you, keep 6 feet between you and the car in front of you. The space in front of you is for getting out of the way if a car comes up fast behind you and is about to rear-end you. ALWAYS leave yourself an exit to avoid what's in front of you or to get away from what's either beside you or coming up behind you.

Say a prayer every day. The rest is out of your control.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 1800S, Robbie Norris Custom Paint, Cobra Speedster Longs, Hypercharger Pro, PowerCommander, Hondaline windshield, Hondaline leather sissy bar and backrest, Mustang Wide-Touring seat w/backrest and passenger pillion, Hondaline leather saddlebags, chrome fork covers, kuryakan flame grips, ISO Boss, chrome control covers, chrome cramkcase cover set, Cobra passenger floorboards, leather tool pouch, Kuryakan light bar w/visors, etc, etc, etc.
post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM

unfortunately the odds are stacked against us.

lurking [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM

I have been riding for 43 years and other than stupid stuff on a dirtbike as a kid, I have never been down. "Knock on wood" and by the grace of God!
My uncle was killed on my Dad's bike bike when I was a kid so well aware of the risks. Just drive defensively, never drink and drive, maintain your bike properly, and it doesn't hurt to say a little prayer every time you get on the bike.

03 VTX 1800S Illusion Blue Ultimate X Big Boy GYTT 205/65-15 Darkside and Loving it!

[IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rong Send a message via Yahoo to Rong
Unfortunately in my younger days I was the poster child for riding beyond my limits.

I went 25 years without a bike and then bought this 1800. I thought that between being older and buying a cruiser I would have cooled my jets some. But I've come to realize that idiocy knows no age limit.

I have to watch myself constantly to not get bigger than my britches. What I have found helpful is occasionally watching some of the MC horror movies on youtube. Watching some of these tragic incidents and reminding myself that in the event of an accident my knees and elbows become the bumpers and crumple zones slaps me with a healthy reality check.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM

aside from dumping my 3yr old son over the handlebars of my hardley 27 years ago, right in my driveway, and in front of the wife (the front brake shoe came apart), I've only had incidents on the trails.

Although unhurt, it pretty much freaked the kid out.

wifey was a little
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermand View Post
My uncle was killed on my Dad's bike bike when I was a kid so well aware of the risks.
Not to go off topic or anything, but that is why I don't let others ride my bike. If they ride the same/similar bike then possibly, but I couldn't deal with something like that on my conscience if something were to happen on my bike. I'd feel responsible.

Blue '06 1800-F2

Sold
Titanium '05 1800-F3
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM

There were 6.7 million motorcycle on the road in 2006 and 4,837 fatal accidents and there were 104,000 motorcycle accidents including parking lot spills.

28% of those fatalities consisted of above 0.08 Blood Alcohol
41% of those fatalities were single rider riders hitting a stationary object
27% of those fatalities were speeding excessively

With all that said riding appears to be pretty safe if you don't drink and drive, speed excessively, and ride within your skill limitations?

First mini-bike ride at about 10 or 11 now close enough to 50 that the AARP mailings start getting opened

Accidents 1.... I was practicing a burnout and lost it, and wouldn't you know the girl in high school I most wanted to get with had to be watching ....sometimes life sucks

post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19COBRA93 View Post
Not to go off topic or anything, but that is why I don't let others ride my bike. If they ride the same/similar bike then possibly, but I couldn't deal with something like that on my conscience if something were to happen on my bike. I'd feel responsible.
Yes, my Uncle was a skilled rider and had ridden my Dad had 2 Triumph 750's. A truck cane into his lane and hit him head on. Shows we don't always have control no matter how well or safe we ride. My Dad never rode again for years until I was about 23 and brought my GS650 down to help him start his own business in Branson. I would get up in the morning to go to the shop and he had already left and stole my keys and took my bike to work leaving me the old pickup truck to drive in. I got a real kick out of it because he started me riding when I was 4 years old and he had not ridden since my Uncles death. I enjoyed giving him that pleasure of riding again, he rode my bike almost everyday while I was there.

03 VTX 1800S Illusion Blue Ultimate X Big Boy GYTT 205/65-15 Darkside and Loving it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page