Harley Ultra Classic or Honda Goldwing - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Harley Ultra Classic or Honda Goldwing

Harley Ultra Classic or Honda Goldwing???

Troublesome question. I now have a 2006 VTX1300R which I am trading in for either above bike. The wife is just as troubled as I am. I like them both. I want the sound of a motorcycle but you cannot put pipes on a Goldwing (that's like putting a thong on a 60 yr old). 1 for the Harley.
The Goldwing is such a smooth rinning bike but no pipes and it does look like a "grandpaw bike." But still...1 for the Honda. Super bike too.
Both prices are equal. Will have to pay for extended warrenty...that's expected.
Wife's ride is important (bad back). The Harley was a good ride with a few modifications the dealer will make.
The Goldwing driver seat is a bit wide for her legs to position around (wise cracks are now accepted) but the dealer said that could be taken care of. She does like the Goldwing seat better. Today is the Goldwing ride.
Any comments, information or wise cracks available to help? Right now it's a 50-50 decision and I have the bank check in hand. Harley is a full Ultra Classic and the Goldwing has it all except the Air bag (I divorced that air bag 23 yrs ago ) New wife is a dream.

Now a Harley Ultra "Root Beer" Rider...with new payments. The adventure begins... "I have the Con."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 AM

Personally.....I am all about reliability. Can you guess which one I chose?
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 AM

thats a hard question but I would go for the wing. I think down the road I might trade up to the gold wind. Except for the exhaust, you can't ask for a better bike with more buttons then you know what to do with.

2006 1800n2, V&H big shots,V&H fuel pak, K&N air filter Hondaline windsheild, neo backrest and carrier, cobar rear floor boards, cobar fatty bars with Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs,strong bags, tomtom 325s gps
post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Get the Harley you know you want it

2003 VTX 1800C black gone , 2002 Retro1800 Blurple gone,
Now 2004 Neo , and Electraglide Classic

post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 AM

That's a tough one, guess you've road a Goldwing before and are fine with the foot postion location.

I think I'd have to be leaning towards the Goldwing because of the reliability of the engine in them. They're pretty much bullet proof.

One more to throw in the ringer in the new Kawasaki Voyager coming out in March.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=28&id=379
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Or if you can wait till spring. http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=28&id=379

Black 2004 1300 Ctro, 2009 RSV/Hannigan Trike
88K+ on the X. 45K+ on the RSV
You don't quit riding because you get old.
You get old because you quit riding.
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Have u ridden an 1800 Goldwing? It's a 850 pound sport bike. Quite amazing. we ride with a mostly Harley group. Those that have tried my Wing just shake their head in amazement (of course they wouldn't be caught dead owning one)

I owned one until a 70mph deer strike in Sept/08...totaled it.
If u want handling, performance, wow factor, reliability, headlights (4 of them) that will light up the road, comfort (in my opinion and my wife's). She has ridden on the back of friends Ultra Classic (but a few yeasr old one). She said it was very uncomfortable.

There are pipes available for the Wing. Never heard them. More of a Formula 1 type sound I have read.

http://www.torqmasterpipes.com/

Water cooled. Engine last hundred of thousands of miles before any thought of overhaul.

Much less heat issues. The radiator fans blow forward when in traffic < 10 mph & stopped. The Harley's I've ridden really radiate heat on my legs when stopped & in a traffic crawl

Looks...that's a personal choice. I personally love the high tech look of the Goldwing If u want more classic looks it's not your bike. (I also own a Vulcan Classic cruiser for that classic looks & pipe noise. Now for sale since I got the VTX).

Beware.... I spend my Wing accident insurance $ on a VTX 1800. The Wing is due for a new model/design in 2011 (perhaps an early release since they're moving production to Japan from Ohio). either you can wait and get the latest. Or I suspect you would be able to buy the current model at a bargain. I would suspect many recent used Wings will be available when manby upgrade to a new model (why I waited).

I'm average height (5'9, 32 inseam). If you're tall, the Wing may feel cramped for u. Larger Wing riders do find solutions, but it costs them xtra $. It is quite a different riding position than the floorboard, foot forward. I prefer the Wing position for long rides. And the foot position is better for cornering performance.

Be sure u do a test ride of both, then decide. Go thru some twisties & 'get on it' with the Wing. It will throw your head back in several gears...even 2 up.

Just my thoughts & opinions. Not Harley bashing in any way. Just observations.

Mike in Dallas
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Go for the Wing. I have had both, an 03 Ultra, and an 06 Ultra, now I ride an 08 Goldwing. Trust me, after you experience the real horsepower the wing gives you right out the crate you wont even think about exhaust, in fact with the quiet of the wing i can ride longer more comfortably. However they do make aftermarket "pipes" for the wing. Torque Loopz and mufflers, and Cobra slip ons, and others. If you change that out on the wing, no re-mapping required. With the Ultra if you do the exhaust, you have to do the intake and re-map the ecu or a power commander. About 2grand minimum, and you still wont have the power of the stock Goldwing!!!!!
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Asside from the dumb "Reliable" post that always pops up. HD IS just as reliable as Honda, except you don't have to worry about the frame cracking on the Harley like you did on the Wing. If you go for an older Wing model, be sure the frame was fixed properly!
Both bikes are exceptional rides. Been on both, love with 1800 Wings ride, my short legs fit great in their somewhat cramped cokcpit, if you are taller, be aware of that. The Ultra is great too, the seat can be fixed and the trunk can be moved back for more room for the passenger. You will find the Wing seat is just as bad as the VTX seat when you ride longer than 1 hour, so the seat point is moot. Both OEM seats, maybe that should be ALL, OEM seats are bad.
Wing is smooth 6 cylinder power
Ultra is smooth v-twin power, no not as much as the Wing, but still respectable.
Wing has frame mounted fairing
Ultra has fairing on the forks

When I went shopping for a touring bike, I was torn betwen the same bikes. I decided I needed the v-twin feel and sound.
You are doing the right thing, test ride both, decide what is best for you.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 AM

Looks like the Wing to me and yes the exhaust has to go good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page