Rocket III vs. VTX 1800 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Rocket III vs. VTX 1800

My second VTX in 3 years was totalled 9/14 by a careless driver in a panel van who made an illegal lane change... right into me. I am beginning to look at buying a replacement and have narrowed the field to either a used VTX or a used 2005-2007 Triumph Rocket III. I know that there are several members here that have or have had both machines and I'm wondering what the relative merits and dismerits are when comparing one to the other. I have ridden the Rocket and was quite impressed by its smooth power, good handling and comfy suspension. For me another bonus is that riders of both bikes who have tried them have generally been very pleased with CTs on the rear. Please do not use that last comment to pervert this thread into a CT vs. MT debate. It's a matter of individual choice, IMO! Thanks.

Anything is possible, particularly if you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 PM

My son and I test rode a 2005 Rocket III last Wednesday evening. We were very impressed with the power from any starting speed and/or RPM. It dusted my X every time. Like you said, smooth ride on that 240 rear tire. The 2nd gear wheelie was not expected but settled back down nicely.

Phillip had been considering an X after riding mine some. He cut a deal for the Rocket after the test ride. They were going to meet at the bank on Friday afternoon. But ... the seller hit a deer on the way back to his house! He rode it out with out going down. The Rocket needs about $3,000 in parts and labor now.

Phillip is looking for another Rocket III now. And I am not trying to change his mind.

From my point of view you have a hard choice to make. I hope to have one of each in my stable soon!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss. "
Ironhorse1800, 2004 1800N, Inmate #37314
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. U.S. Navy Retired (22yos), 99 Valkyrie I/S (02 VTX1800 - Sold 2011) )
I would think personal preference would come into play here. But, if it's an either or situation for ya, I would think the used VTX would be a great availability and deal..... buyers market so they say. And coming to the end of the season where some might be making better deals......

I personally think the VTX Retro or Neo Retros look nice of course, and am not a fan of the C or F (it depends on your tastes). The Rocket III is not attractive to me at all..... (without saying FUGLY).... however, the R3T is growing on me probably because it appears somewhat similar to the Valkyrie Interstate. I just wish the Rocket looked the same on both sides..... but that is my opinion. Just as what you choose to ride is yours..... Good luck.

John

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 PM

You will absolutely LOVE the Triumph Rocket, if you decide to go that way.

As you have previously remarked above; you have sensed her.

I have had my Rocket 3 (2008 Classic) for a couple of months now, and can make a good comparison between it at the 2007 1300R that I still own (and will continue to keep) - (though I know that you asked for a comparison between and 1800 and a Rocket).

You will find that you ride slightly higher on a Rocket, as opposed to a VTX; just have to look at the floorboards and seat height in the dip of the saddle.

The Rocket has more "girth" as opposed to the VTX. Sitting on the Rocket is akin to sitting on top of a Brahma bull's back. No chit

It is rumored that Rockets eat up rear rubber much more quickly than the VTX; which is probably due to more anticipated "twist of the throttle" activity directly rewarded by the power plant which lives within it. When my time comes. I am going to have a car tire installed; I never thought I would do this on a motorcycle but my style of riding and the current 240 that is sitting in the rim of my Rocket is a "no brainer" to me. It needs to be done. Good reviews that I have seen from other Captains that command Rockets with car tires.

I do hope that you are satisfied in whatever you decide on, for your new ride. I sincerely offer to you, that if you decide to own a Rocket III; a new awareness will open to you concerning power and motorcycling.

I still have my VTX. I enjoy it immensely.

However....

... The Rocket III absolutely beats every motorcycle that I have ridden "hands down".

Kindest regards,

-Will

2007 VTX1300R (gone, miss it but not cleaning the the chrome...)
2008 VStrom DL-650 (gone, miss it....)
2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic with Carpenter Racing 240hp package
2011 Victory Vision Tourer
2012 Suzuki DR650SE

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM

and most definitely....

Install a ***HEADLIGHT MODULATOR*** on your replacement bike; whatever you decide upon.

Believe me, your third bike will be a "keeper" because of the modulator....

Kindest regards,

-Will

2012 Suzuki DR650SE

post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM

OMG compadre
I'm glad you are O.K. so the blue one is gone? along with P4?! That's sad!!! How's a brand new VTX for $8K.
Whatever you are to choose, stay safe and many more miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHombre View Post
My second VTX in 3 years was totalled 9/14 by a careless driver in a panel van who made an illegal lane change... right into me. I am beginning to look at buying a replacement and have narrowed the field to either a used VTX or a used 2005-2007 Triumph Rocket III. I know that there are several members here that have or have had both machines and I'm wondering what the relative merits and dismerits are when comparing one to the other. I have ridden the Rocket and was quite impressed by its smooth power, good handling and comfy suspension. For me another bonus is that riders of both bikes who have tried them have generally been very pleased with CTs on the rear. Please do not use that last comment to pervert this thread into a CT vs. MT debate. It's a matter of individual choice, IMO! Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 1300C; 03 1800C; 05 1800F; 04 1800N; 06 1800N2; 08 1800T3
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wrtiteup, Will. I had the Kisan modulator and the Kisan Tailblazer on my Blue Moon II ( pictured on my sig line). I also had Kury' s halogen highway lightbar with running lights and the tool that whacked me still didn't see me. More than likely that was because he didn't look.

Anything is possible, particularly if you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra3boy View Post
OMG compadre
I'm glad you are O.K. so the blue one is gone? along with P4?! That's sad!!! How's a brand new VTX for $8K.
Whatever you are to choose, stay safe and many more miles!
Thanks for the kind words. Blue moon, sadly, is done. I will, however, be plucking the P4 and some other choice goodies from amongst her $13K in bling for either resale or for my next X.

If you ever want to see some of the best riding in our area, give me a call (PM me!). Paradise is only 50 miles west of Manhatten!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHombre View Post
Thanks for the wrtiteup, Will. I had the Kisan modulator and the Kisan Tailblazer on my Blue Moon II ( pictured on my sig line). I also had Kury' s halogen highway lightbar with running lights and the tool that whacked me still didn't see me. More than likely that was because he didn't look.

Well, dang....

Sometimes the only thing left is to have a high school band parading in front of you playing "The Star Spangled Stripes Forever" and they will STILL run into you....

Hopefully, bad luck has left you, and forgotten of you; and you can once again mount and enjoy without fear; the air whistling by you, as you pilot your next bike (soon to be; we await what you're going to decide on... )

Kindest Regards,

-Will

2012 Suzuki DR650SE

post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again, Will. It might take a while, but stay tuned, I'll keep 'ya posted!

Any more Rocket riders out there? I'd particularly like to know the differences 'tween the '05-'07 models...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page