Sewing on patches - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Rorie
Sewing on patches

I have decided to place a few meaningful patches on my leather vest....I know it can't be done with a regular needle and thread so whats a guy to do?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 AM

Go to a local shoe repair shop and have them put the patches on. I was very pleased with external patches done by a local guy here.

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map
PM me to be added (thread)
Treaty of Tripoli: Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 AM

I called around to many seamstress's. Ask them if they do leather, if they have the needles for leather work, and if it's a vest with inner pockets if they can save the inner pockets instead of sewing threw them.
BTW, no vest is complete without a Poser Patch.

2004 VTX 1300C
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Club Orange.Everything else is black and white.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Have the patchs put away from the pocket. Then the ladys can do it, you dont need a leather needler. I work at a sewing manufacter, same needle.

Don Hurd
D'Ray "Take Care"

D-Ray
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Obviously you could sew them on yourself with a leather needle and long-nosed pliers.

There are hobby glues as well, but sew on is best by a tailor or shoe repair place.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM

The local leather shop here (where they sell leather biker stuff) has a sewing station in the back where they will sew patches on vests. I've heard of Harley dealers having someone come in once a week or something to sew patches on as well.

Also every big 'biker' event I have been to has at least one person sewing patches on (like rally's, bike shows or swap meets.)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I have a cheap sewing machine I sew them on with, using black thread. They've been on for years. I use a needle for "jeans" or "denim". The needle is sharp as opposed to rounded needles for most fabrics.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '03 1800R
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-BBCS12FT4-Fabri-Tac-Permanent-Adhesive-4/dp/B00178MNFO http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-BBCS12FT4-Fabri-Tac-Permanent-Adhesive-4/dp/B00178MNFO

This stuff works great for putting patches on without stitching. They will not come off. If you are the type that likes to move your patches around then this stuff is not for you as it will ruin your vest if you try to pull the patches off. You can purchase it at Michael's for $8.99 for a 4oz bottle. Also, if you check the Sunday paper, Michael's usually has a 40 or 50% off coupon good for 1 item.

It does take a little prep work to make the patches stick. Take some rubbing alcohol and wet a cloth with it. Use the alcohol dampened rag to wipe down the area you intend to put the patch.This takes the oily/glossy finish off of the surface of the jacket to give the adhesive something to stick to. If the patch has a waxy backing on it wipe down the back of the patch too. The leather and the patch will get a sticky feeling similar to saran wrap once the finish is gone. Let the patch and the leather dry then apply the adhesive to the patch and apply the patch to the leather. It is fully cured in just under 24 hours but I have worn mine on the highway less than 12 hours after application with no problems.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 PM

I found something online once about sewing patches on leather from some lady who has been doing it for years. I'll try to get a link for ya.
I remember her saying there is no glue that will hold a patch for a long time, you don't ever want to use cotton thread as it will rot quickly after it mixes with the chemical treatments in the leather.

2004 VTX 1300C
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Club Orange.Everything else is black and white.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
Look up seamstress in the yellow pages

They usually charge $2 for small patches, $3 for medium, and $4 for large (Large being Back Patche size).

Some leather shops have the ability to sew them on as well, but usually charge more.. The seamstresses sometimes do it out of their own houses on their own time for an extra few bucks.

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page