Harley Crankshaft run out - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Harley Crankshaft run out

This is not posted to piss off any owners of Harleys,infact I hope this doesnt effect Too many owners. This is a very lame move by Harley to up the runout of the crank so when measured they can say "Your crank is fine" Like I said before I love the Street Bob model,but just the looks,I wouldn't take it any further. The 96 ci has more flaws than Harley will admit. This is just one isolated mechanical denial,the 96ci also has a memo out for the countershaft bearing to be replaced at 15,000 as regular mainteance. Harley Davidson owners need to stick together and instead of paying out of pocket for the companys engineering faults,hold Harley responsible. Until Harley proves to me they can build a motor and tranny that can carry some longetivity,Give me my metrics. Again, I am not out to make this a Metric vs Harley ,I find Harley Davidson NOT THE RIDER,a disgrace .
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine...or-2008-a.html

Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"
06 VTX 1300S, DIRT,07 YZ450F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
I was talking with my dad (Ultra) and the conversation went like this:

Dad: "Yeah, Im thinking about a big bore kit, cams, etc.. "

Me: "Why?"

Dad: "Well, its got to be torn down anyway"

Me: "What? Why the hell does it need to be torn down"

Dad: "The Timing Belt Tensioners didnt work that year, so as the chain stretches, it doesnt have any tension being put on it to take up the slack, so it could skip and ruin the motor.. so, its gotta be torn down and replaced, and while they're in there, I figured what the hell..."

I just sat there with a confused look on my face thinking.. You've gotta be ****ting me... The motor has a known fault, and you're paying to have it torn down? And to boot, you're going to pay them MORE to Modify it while its torn down? Sounds like a damn scam to sell big bore kits to me...

But, whatever.... hes happy... thats what counts...

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo1970 View Post
I was talking with my dad (Ultra) and the conversation went like this:

Dad: "Yeah, Im thinking about a big bore kit, cams, etc.. "

Me: "Why?"

Dad: "Well, its got to be torn down anyway"

Me: "What? Why the hell does it need to be torn down"

Dad: "The Timing Belt Tensioners didnt work that year, so as the chain stretches, it doesnt have any tension being put on it to take up the slack, so it could skip and ruin the motor.. so, its gotta be torn down and replaced, and while they're in there, I figured what the hell..."

I just sat there with a confused look on my face thinking.. You've gotta be ****ting me... The motor has a known fault, and you're paying to have it torn down? And to boot, you're going to pay them MORE to Modify it while its torn down? Sounds like a damn scam to sell big bore kits to me...

But, whatever.... hes happy... thats what counts...

-Gonz
That's been an issue for some time now! #1 reason why many HD guys have them switched over to gears and ditch the chain. Even the gear setup has a somewhat short lifespan though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
support your
LOCAL 81
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Sounds like my 2000 Road King cam bearing all over again. HD had a known problem w rear cam bearings flying apart but would only fix it AFTER it grenaded. I ended up replacing the bearing at my cost rather than waiting for it to happen and leave me stranded somewhere. Talk about leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I called HD and they said basically tough luck until it breaks. I told cust serv that was the last HD I'll ever buy if they weasle out of this, which they did. It was the last HD I ever bought and will never buy another one. Sold the HD and bought a VALK and never looked back. SOB's.

V/H Bigshots, Pwr. Cmdr, Honda w.s., Clearview replacement Lexan (2 inches wider), HID 50 watt kit, Honda light bar, U. S. Saddlebags, Ultimate Big Boy seat, rider backrest, Ultimate passenger seat, Cobra Fat Engine guard with Kuryakin Highway pegs, Cobra chrome license plate mount, Barons Big Air Kit, Kisan Signal Minder, LED rear brake and signal lights, desmog.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
That's been an issue for some time now! #1 reason why many HD guys have them switched over to gears and ditch the chain. Even the gear setup has a somewhat short lifespan though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPHZA View Post
Sounds like my 2000 Road King cam bearing all over again. HD had a known problem w rear cam bearings flying apart but would only fix it AFTER it grenaded. I ended up replacing the bearing at my cost rather than waiting for it to happen and leave me stranded somewhere. Talk about leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I called HD and they said basically tough luck until it breaks. I told cust serv that was the last HD I'll ever buy if they weasle out of this, which they did. It was the last HD I ever bought and will never buy another one. Sold the HD and bought a VALK and never looked back. SOB's.

Ive heard stores like my own and those two above.. this is the main complaint of many HD owners.. problems, and fighting with them to get the problems covered under warranty...

Granted, not all owners.. but I hear more complaints than compliments..

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM

My brother in law in going through that right now with them. He asked me what has been done to my motor since it has 50K+ miles on it. I told him it gets new oil every so often but that is it.

He is on his third Harley and has never made it 30K miles with out a tear down of the motor.

I will stick with my rice burner.

2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM

Hey, fer $25-30K whatdayah want?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
99 XLH883
2012 FLHR Road King
Sgt USMC 67-71 PGR
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Soooo, what do the "bros." on the Harley forums think about all these issues?? I'm sure they don't give a FK and Harleys are still the best damn bike on the rode. I've owned one and can speak from experiance, It's nothing but an image thing. When I had my Harley I realized that I want to enjoy riding again instead of worrying about how much $$$ I was dumping in that fkn bike so I could keep it on the road. At one point I was desperate to get rid of it so I could get an X and enjoy riding once again. Finally my day came and some dumbass actually traded me his VTX 1800 with about 7800 miles on it for my 81 shovel. his lose, my gain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 1800c GONE. 2004 919 ON THE WAY!
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Holy crud! I have heard the spill back and forth sometimes, but thought a lot of it was some folks that purchased a jap bike and could not afford an HD and were sour and some of the nasty HD riders ticked off cause they went from a jap bike to a basket case HD.

I initially really liked two bikes, my X and the Road King, but have spoken to some that have both and they say it is worth all the extra money just to have HD.

A new friend who recently joined the church was over the other night and wanted a closer look at my bike. While we were in my building he was talking about the X being nice and then said he used to have a 2000 road king and I was like aw crap here we go.

His story was more like these. Said he went to Myrtle Beach once and it cost him lotsa $$$$$$$ in repairs. I got my X and love the darn machine, and occasionally I see that road king that looks so good, but think hell mines paid for, and with my vtxoa forum I can do anything to it myself, so to each their own.

Not everyone has these problems, but I would be one that did.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 PM

I was just tired wondering if it was being jacked and always peeking through windows and like that.
When I walk away from this one I'm not worried.

I often wish they all were still kickers only, that would put the brakes on a lot of this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page