Even trade at dealership?? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Even trade at dealership??

Anybody have experience trading a bike for another bike at a dealership?

Well, this isn't at the top of my priority list and there are very few pre-owned VMAX's that come up for sale at a dealership, HOWEVER, in the event I find a local dealership with a used VMAX and its worth approximately the equivalent of my VTX, what are the odds the dealership would consider an even trade?

I suppose this may depend upon which bike could potentially sell easier, a VMAX or a VTX 1800F....

While I love my VTX, I've always dreamed of owning a VMAX, I'd love a new one, but good god they're expensive...

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM

A dealer would trade even,but it wouldnt be in your favor dollarwise...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM

They they will want to sell at retail and pay at wholesell. They have to make money.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
A dealer would trade even,but it wouldnt be in your favor dollarwise...
Hah! I'd expect nothing less from a dealership. If its any consolation, my wife works for Honda and we have access to Blackbook, thats how I bought the VTX....(not that it really matters, the dealer will "get theirs"). At least we could walk in educated.

Yeah, I think mines worth about $6,800 or $7,000 or thereabouts...She pulled a blackbook a while back, don't remember...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: on da Bayou, SW of Naw'lins - - choot em Elizibeth choot em!!
[QUOTE=stoploss;3539443]Hah! I'd expect nothing less from a dealership. ).

WTF?!?!?!?

I'm certainly no advocate for "the dealer" but . . . how could you fault anyone for making a profit? How 'bout Wal-mart, gas stations, grocery stores, tire stores, carpenters, the electric co, the guy cutting your grass, etc.? How do you think YOU make a living? C'mon people!
Operating for profit is part of the American Dream. I guess I just don't understand how the car / mtc dealer, or the lady at the dry cleaners are the "Bad Guys"! If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere.

Oh well, that's my rant for this morning. Hopefully the rest of the day will pass a little smoother.

Chuck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If ya can't fix it with a hammer, ya got yer self an electrical problem!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=poolguy0;3539457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
Hah! I'd expect nothing less from a dealership. ).

WTF?!?!?!?

I'm certainly no advocate for "the dealer" but . . . how could you fault anyone for making a profit? How 'bout Wal-mart, gas stations, grocery stores, tire stores, carpenters, the electric co, the guy cutting your grass, etc.? How do you think YOU make a living? C'mon people!
Operating for profit is part of the American Dream. I guess I just don't understand how the car / mtc dealer, or the lady at the dry cleaners are the "Bad Guys"! If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere.

Oh well, that's my rant for this morning. Hopefully the rest of the day will pass a little smoother.

Chuck
My goodness, breathe Chuck, breathe.

I think its less about the dealer "making a profit" vs. what is in the dealers best interest, i.e., lets say my bike is valued at $6,500 clean trade via blackbook, and lets say thats commensurate to what it would sell for at an auction....then a VMAX is currently for sale at the dealer for $6,500...well, we know the dealer didn't pay $6,500 for the VMAX at auciton, it was probably more like 4 or 5 grand, then there's the profit because they can turn around and try to sell my bike for $8,000...if they sell mine for $8,000 then they just made a profit from what was originally purchased at auction: the VMAX.

Again, since I can walk into a dealer knowing exactly what my bike is worth at an auction and can get auction data for most anything on a used lot... I'm just trying to guage if dealers would consider even trading...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Gotta haggle.
being a former car salesman,I know the game...

when I bought my X,I bought it brand new for $150.00 over invoice..

It took me three hours of back and forth,but they made the deal..
I was still there 45 minutes after they closed....

Then I still got the $1000 Honda bucks,so I got my bags,and backrest free....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Location: on da Bayou, SW of Naw'lins - - choot em Elizibeth choot em!!
I dunno what comes over me sometimes. . . I guess I just wake up in a bad mood lookin' for sumthin' to bitch about.

Ya'll forgive me and I'll try to do better in the future . . .

Chuck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If ya can't fix it with a hammer, ya got yer self an electrical problem!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

i'm with ya on wanting a vmax but i wouldn't give up my X for one.. you can find those cheap enough just get both!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 2007 1300c

Midnight bugs taste just as bad as Noon time bugs.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchadley View Post
i'm with ya on wanting a vmax but i wouldn't give up my X for one.. you can find those cheap enough just get both!
I hear ya! Since a 2009+ Max is out of my range, I'd like to get a 2006 with the tank flames...those that are currently for sale privately are just about what my VTX would be listed for privately...that's what I'm shooting for but the planets will have to align.

I just went to a Yamaha dealership close to my house to pick up a new battery and they said they rarely see pre-owned Maxes, most people sell them privately. We'll see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page