Honda VTX Forum banner

New Paint Job

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  VTX18C 
#1 ·
I finished my new paint job yesterday, still have to cut and buff and I only had my cell phone, but I figured I would put a couple of pictures up. Yes, I know there are a lot of green haters out there:D, but I just had to stick with a version of green. Just wanted to say thanks to
BD's Cycles. The tip sheet that he put out a few years ago about filling the tank seam was quit helpful. After completeing this project it gives me a new appreciation for the work that he does day in and day out. As soon as I get the tins back on the bike I'll post a couple of complete pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great:firstplace: Looking forward to pictures of the bike back together. :thumbup:

#4 ·
Thanks 1bad, I started out wanting something different and unique, I think I achieved it. Obviously not for everyone, but I like it. Lots of work but gratifying. Now if I can get it all back on the bike without scratching it!!!

#5 ·
I like green, can't you tell. Very nice, unique, surly one of a kind. :thumbup:

#14 ·
Very nice, did you do it or did you have it done. If you did it, can you share secrets? If you did not do it, did they share secrets with you? I saw one time, on I believe the discovery channel or something, they painted flames an the way they were able to make texture similar to that was using plastic wrap to displace the top coat and expose the base colors that they had put in specific orders to make the under flame colors. Any info you can share would be cool. Thank you.

#17 ·
paint job

Its good to know not everyone is a green hater:D:D thanks for the compliments. For those that asked here is the link to BD Cycles thread on filling the tank seam. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?169886-DIY-tank-seam-fill-with-pics good instructions. I did paint the tins myself, with a lot of advice from my cousin who owns a body shop.

Here is a quick review of the process, I am sure there are others with more knowledge that can give some better advice but this is the process I used. I used PPG's base coat clear coat products. After prepping and priming the parts I laid down a couple of coats of black base, after this dried I put down a wet coat of ultra silver, (I should note that before I started painting I cut some 1 mil plastic to cover all of the parts) after applying the heavy coat of silver we would wait about 1 minute and then my wife, son and I would place the 1 mil plastic onto the part and gently rub it down, depending upon how much silver you want pulled is how hard you rub it down. Prior to placing the plastic we would tightly ball it up to give it a bunch of wrinkles. As soon you have patted/rubbed the plastic down, slowly, starting on one end pull it up removing some of your silver paint. If the paint dried to fast and you were unable to remove as much as you want I would just apply another heavier coat over the first coat and then repeat the pulling process with a new sheet of plastic. After doing this I applied a very light coat of silver over the pulled silver, just my preference. After you are done working with your pulled coat of paint, let it dry and then start applying your candy color. My cousin mixed my candied green, I know you can buy some candied reds and blues. It is a very transparent paint. To get the shade of green that I have took 7 coats. After I was done with the candied I applied 3 coats of clear. Then last night I cut and buffed the clear. As I said earlier, I am no expert and looking at BD's work I am sure he can give a lot better advice. This worked for me and I wanted something different. If you like a uniform look, you sure as hell don't want this, because there is nothing uniform about it.

After doing this I definitely think most body shops are earning their money. I bought pretty good product at body shop prices and with paint, sanding and masking supplies I have about a thousand dollars into it. I already owned a pretty good gun and sander, so it was just basically materials and time for me. I have a few other things to do to the bike, when I get it all back together I will post a couple of pictures. btw, I started painting at 7:30 am and finished at 9 pm and I rushed it a little, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.