Honda VTX Forum banner

Rattling noise at certain rpms

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  vtox 
#1 ·
I've noticed that at certain rpm on my vtx 1800 it makes a rattling noise on the right side. Kinda like a fender is loose. I've checked the fenders.everything is tight. Had anybody had an experience with this. My bike is a 2002 vtx 1800 s with about 12,000 miles on it. Thanks foe any help.

#3 ·
Look at exhaust possibly touching the floorboards on your S model.

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll check those things out. It's seems to come from the lower engine tranny area.also noticed oil on the backside of the back cylinder. There's a hose there that comes out of the cylinder, I've checked to see if it's leaking, doesn't appear to be, I'm still learning about the bike only had it for a couple months.I've got the clymer repair manual, but it doesn't say anything about that. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, hvac service tech and have had bikes before but not since before I got did the family thing.not that the kids are grown I'm getting back into it. Hate taking it into the stealership if I can take care of it myself. Thanks for any help.

#10 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about as my 1800 has the same sound when I really get on the throttle. It sounds like a hard metal rattle, like ball bearings being rattled in a tin can! It only makes the sound when I really get on it. I have never found the origination of the noise and since I rarely nail the throttle I haven't heard it in quite a while.

#14 ·
My low-speed rattle is my rear shocks. Usually happens around 25/30MPH and sometimes on the interstate at 75/80. If I reach back, I can feel them resonating. Looking for a fix when I get time that doesn't involve buying replacement shocks.. lol.

#17 ·
My low-speed rattle is my rear shocks. Usually happens around 25/30MPH and sometimes on the interstate at 75/80. If I reach back, I can feel them resonating. Looking for a fix when I get time that doesn't involve buying replacement shocks.. lol.
If you come up with a fix please let me know!
Have you guys looked at your bushings? They are known to wear out pretty quickly.

[HR][/HR]
'05 1800 R/S/N
Proud CRAP Member #057
-

#18 ·
Have you guys looked at your bushings? They are known to wear out pretty quickly.

[HR][/HR]
'05 1800 R/S/N
Proud CRAP Member #057
-
I've tried the poly bushings, new OEM bushings, had the shock covers cut off, bought another set of stock shocks and still around 35mph on decell it rattles loud enough that you can hear way above the Cobra Long exhausts. It has to be something about the harmonics of the bike but I ain't smart enough to figure it out I guess.

#21 ·
^^^
Bushings?
If you are referring to the shock bushings it's not that. I have replaced my shock bushings twice in the 58,000 miles I have on the bike. That sound is more of a "creaking" sound when you sit on the bike. This is a hard metal vibration sound leading me to believe it is more of a heat shield vibrating against something. Again, in my case I only hear it when I really nail the throttle. Otherwise I never hear it.

#22 ·
If you are referring to the shock bushings it's not that. I have replaced my shock bushings twice in the 58,000 miles I have on the bike. That sound is more of a "creaking" sound when you sit on the bike. This is a hard metal vibration sound leading me to believe it is more of a heat shield vibrating against something. Again, in my case I only hear it when I really nail the throttle. Otherwise I never hear it.
Just thought it would be something to check, but both of you already had. Back when I used to ride with my kids on the back they complained about a high pitched whine. I've never heard it. To many miles with loud exhaust, construction work, and concerts have left my hearing not what it once was. My shocks are probably rattling to beat the band too. :lol:

Hope you figure it out!

#23 ·
So I that rattling noise it is my heat shield, last night when I went for a ride got to the certain rpm when it started I put my boot against the shield and the noise stopped, tried it a couple more times, same result. So I really appreciate the info. As far as the oil leak goes I should have given more detail, it's right BELOW where that pipe comes out of the rear cylinder, so I don't think it's a valve cover or the leak would be coming from higher up, I could be wrong though, not yet familiar with the bike and it's little quirks. Do love it though.any and all help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.