Honda VTX Forum banner

where have all the VTXs gone?

5K views 54 replies 41 participants last post by  Travis311 
#1 ·
I am currently down at the Myrtle Beach Bike rally and while there are literally thousands and thousands of bikes here I have only seen 2 other VTXs other than mine. Yes, I know they have been out of production for seven/eight years now but usually I see quite a few. Last year I probably saw at least a dozen if not more. Just curious.

#4 · (Edited)
they did not sell well
they were not ridden much.
most are garage queens.
or
Owners are afraid to ride the Monster..
most VTX owners are anti-social.. or dislike the warm weather, or dislike cold weather, wet weather,,, any weather...

I have owned mine since 2005... except for the one VTX ride .. I have only seen 11 on the road... so I average seeing a VTX once a year...
and my X has 66,000 miles.

I am just being ME >..

>:).:surprise:.:frown:.:nerd:

FYI, my VTX and I spent the 2015/16 winter in Myrtle Beach... and NOT one VTX in sight. and I put 4,000 miles on the bike down there.

#42 ·
Owners are afraid to ride the Monster..
most VTX owners are anti-social.. or dislike the warm weather, or dislike cold weather, wet weather,,, any weather...
This one is for you Chuck.
October 2015 flood waters

Attachments

#6 ·
so, are you suggesting I am a misplaced Southerner .??

VTX for 11 years and counting
86 Goldwing Till 2005, 86k miles, and sold it for Half what I paid for it New.
88 Acura legend... 90 to 2005.. and 250K miles.

:laugh:,:smile2:

Reactions: Curt E
#7 ·
I only see a few here and there on the road and at bike events. With the Harley craze in full force these days its hurting other brands new and used bike sales and hurting other brands used bike resale values. If everyone wants a Harley and nothing else, prices fall on other brands, its supply and demand.

#8 · (Edited)
Since I purchased mine 2 yrs ago.
Two of my friends have also purchased VTX's..
But I dont 'think' I see them at all when Im out riding??
But it is hard to tell when passing cruisers also, they do look and sound a lot alike..
Fair selection "for Sale" within 100 mi area. But ???

In So Calif "Harley" rules the roads...

Also, I had never even heard of the VTX before I started looking for a cruiser.

#10 ·
Johnstown, Pa. has a pop. of maybe 23,000. The greater metro area maybe 100,000. I personally have seen a few dozen, but only a couple of them, from talking with them, are owned by fellas that would use the web Forums. I'd say if you ain't seein' 'em, you ain't gettin' out and about enough, or not hitting the right gatherings/ locations. Honda made what, 5, 6K 1800's, and maybe 5 times that for 1300's.

#17 ·
The wife and I was at the Myrtle Beach Bike Rally from last Saturday (14th) until Wednesday(18th
). We were leaving just as the rain was moving in. I had my 1800R and she rode her 1300c. We saw maybe 10 VTX's while we were there. It was our first time there and stayed in North Myrtle Beach, which was nice, but about 35 miles north of where we should have stayed. We all learn from mistakes. Still a good trip.

#19 ·
The big Powersports dealer in Myrtle Beach is on 501 towards Conway, around where the Outlet stores are.

#20 ·
Hopefully, this will mean it will be easier for me to pick one up, cheap, when I can finally afford to get one! LOL

#22 ·
I still see a surprising amount of them around here, the numbers are definitely declining though. Just a couple of years ago, my Brother-in-laws and I made up a small gang of them, haha. Between us there were (2) 1300's (mine was the red one) and (1) 1800. Since then the (2) 1300's have gone away, and I have taken over the 1800. Oh well, I still have fun though :smile2:

Attachments

#23 ·
Where have all the good girls gone? That song popped in my head when I read the title. These bikes are getting old, they weren't popular originally, and I see many parts from salvage yards popping up. We should all buy a few of them and when they get really rare we could sell them to local people and ride around in packs. Everyone would want one and the price for vintage VTX bikes would go through the roof and we could retire and just ride around on our classics saying we were into the VTX before it was cool.

#26 ·
I see quite a few around in southwest Missouri. In my group of friends we had 4 VTX's. The other 3 all went to Harleys. We all love our bikes, but they hate their payments. Whenever I get the itch to get a different bike I scratch that itch by changing mine up. I'm currently on my third paint job and debating with myself on what other changes I want to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.