Honda VTX Forum banner

Acting weird with new fairing

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Lomedicojb 
#1 ·
I just installed the reckless fairing on my motorcycle. It was not the easiest thing to make work, but I'd say it's on there solid. I took it out for the first ride with the new fairing and my steering feels really weird. Like it's almost trying to fight me, as if going through some bad wind. Is it because the aerodynamics have changed with the fairing on there, or did I install it incorrectly?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The fairing looks good on your bike, and Tugg is right about the wind having a greater effect now. I've had a couple of full fairing bikes and bikes with no fairing and my personal opinion is I much prefer the way my VTX handles w/o a fairing.

#8 ·
I got a reckless fairing last summer. Love it. I did get some front end wobble at 80. Took it back home and took miticulas care about having it straight, level, and centered. Havent had that issue again. It will handle "heavier" in the steering as others have said but it doesnt take long to get used to it. I've wondered myself if putting some progressive springs in would make it a lil nicer. Either way i enjoy it as it is now.

#9 ·
I don't have a Reckless Fairing, but I found riding with the fairing to be smoother than the windshield. Even on-coming traffic seems to have less effect than when riding with the windshield, perhaps the pressure is dispersed over a greater area or something. I dunno ....
I hope you get used to it and enjoy it.

#10 ·
UPDATE!!!!

So I figured out the problem....Charlie D hadn't worked on it yet! He was here the last couple Sunday's and we did all kinds of work on my bike to get it ready for sturgis. Flushed and changed all the brake lines and clutch line. Pulled off wheels so I could put new Avon Cobras. Checked bearings and adjusted the head bearing. And then did some tweaking to the fairing. I don't know which of these things were the issue with the head wobble, but it's perfect now. Charlie is amazing and did a wonderful job working on, and teaching me how to work on my bike so I don't get screwed by the stealership.

#11 · (Edited)
I just installed a fairing, not a reckless, but even on the first ride didn't notice much if any difference between it and the Memphis shades 21" windshield I took off.

The bike rides just as well as before and I actually think in the wind it even acts better. I get a little wobble in sharp corners but it's the rear tire I put on the front and not the fairing.

The fairing also didn't have any effect on the fuel mileage that I can tell right now. I went on a poker run over the weekend and still got 40mpg riding twisties and running in 4th gear a lot with a lot of up and down shifting as well.

Glad to hear you got yours figured out, now ride that bike and enjoy that new fairing. I know I'm enjoying mine.

#12 ·
When I first put on my MS fairing, I was getting push and pull like I was behind a truck and drafting.
I either got used to it or worked it out.
My thing now is getting a proper windshield so I dont get so much buffetting over my helmet.

Its going to be a long hot week here. Temps over 110 all week, so I doubt Im going to ride anywhere this week unless its early, but most days even at 7-8am its still/already over 80-90 degrees.

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm getting serious buffeting too. I've tried a shorter shield on the fairing, and the 10 inch. The 10 inch is appropriate height, but I still get buffeting. Maybe I'll have to go with a flair windshield, or tilt the fairing out more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.