What did you do to your VTX today? - VTXOA
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What did you do to your VTX today?

Heya everyone! I looked around and didn't see a thread like this so I thought I would get one started. On all of the other bike and car sites I am a part of there is a thread like this that just lets folks say what they did with their vehicle that particular day. It might be adding a mod, ordering some trick parts, fixing an issue, detailing it or just simply riding it.

I'll get it started.

I decided to open up the airbox of the new to me VTX1800T that I brought home last week to see if it had been desmoged and what air filter it had.

To my surprise, there was a pool of motor oil in the bottom of the air box with no indication of where it came from. The TB intake path was clear as was the snorkel. No idea where it could have come from.

But the real shocker was what I found when I removed the cover. A dirt dauber nest.

The dealer I bought it from told me that it had been sitting on the showroom floor for 3 year... but a nest in the airbox? Seriously? LOL

So I ordered the block off plates so I can remove the AIR & PAIR systems.
VTX53R, Curt E and markalooba like this.

2007 VTX1800T Spec 2 Black/Red
Blogs: ZRX1100 VTX1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:00 AM

It came from the crank case vent to eliminate crack case pressure and humidity that hose is plug at the bottom of the air filter so it is normal to clean it some time
nate6966 likes this.

Laconia 2015
post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman/qc View Post
It came from the crank case vent to eliminate crack case pressure and humidity that hose is plug at the bottom of the air filter so it is normal to clean it some time
I figured as much. Is there a common mod on these bikes where one would install a PCV valve and have it vent to atmosphere instead of fouling up the airbox?

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Not a pcv but maybe you can use this instead in the air box but you will have to clean it or change it some time http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

Laconia 2015
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman/qc View Post
Not a pcv but maybe you can use this instead in the air box but you will have to clean it or change it some time http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm
That is basically what I did with my ZRX.

Only I put a PCV valve in line between the crankcase and the breather to minimize the oil blow by so I had to worry about keeping it clean much less often.

post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
Today I test fit brackets to mount my new-to-me tour pack on the X. Cut them out of hardboard (masonite), bolted them on and set the trunk on them for level and position.
This will be my 3rd trunk/tour pack project ..... You'd think I would have learned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (70.3 KB, 102 views)
nate6966 and MonstaVTX1800 like this.

All the usual stuff .... Vance & Hines exhaust, Cobra Light Bar & Cobra Fatties highway bars, Mustang seats & backrests, Cavalry Custom Saddlebags w/Custom homebuilt bag mounts, Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn unit, desmogged w/pair valve removed, decapitated air box, Tsukayu fairing, Clocks4Bikes clock .....
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX53R View Post
Today I test fit brackets to mount my new-to-me tour pack on the X. Cut them out of hardboard (masonite), bolted them on and set the trunk on them for level and position.
This will be my 3rd trunk/tour pack project ..... You'd think I would have learned.
Those look really nice! Who made them? I would love some hard bags and maybe a trunk for mine. Bonus having the same bike I do, hehe.

post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM

Today I put in new spark plugs and made a couple of fake bead-rider seat pads that I made out of a black beaded car seat cushion that I got from walmart.

beaded.jpg

2003 VTX 1800R3
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Today I put in new spark plugs and made a couple of fake bead-rider seat pads that I made out of a black beaded car seat cushion that I got from walmart.

Attachment 83554
Nice, do they work well?

post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadence75 View Post
Nice, do they work well?
They work well for me, I've been using them for years. The air flow at highway speeds keeps your bottom side quite cool and dry, sometimes almost feels like refrigerated air down there, ask anyone that uses one. The beads are also very comfortable, distributes your weight around better than the seat vinyl.

2003 VTX 1800R3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page