Honda VTX Forum banner

Bike doesn't seem right

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Harkon 
#1 ·
Ok, so here's some back story. I rode my bike earlier this month to sturgis. The bike had 6,xxx miles on it when I started the trip. Once I got back a couple weeks ago, it now has 9,xxx miles. After I got home, I changed the oil, lubed the shift pivots, and cleaned and relubed my k@n air intake filter (lots of rain and dust so it was black). I then changed the spark plugs with ngk iridium BKR5 EIX-11. Gap was good on them, got them snugged up properly, wires all snapped back onto the plugs. Go to fire it up and run the bike, and when riding, it seems like the bike doesn't quite have the "pep" it had up to this point. I take out the plugs and have since ordered the ngk IFR5L11 plugs, which are a direct cross reference to the plug I had in the bike, which was a denso VK16PRZ11. So until those come in, I put the plugs in that were originally in that were running great. Well I still feel like the bike isn't running quite the way it used too. I notice on start up, that if I put my hand directly behind the bottom pipe, there's little black specs on my hand. And the exhaust coming out of the bottom pipe seems a touch colder than the top pipe. Any help appreciated, I don't know what to do that this point.

#8 ·
Add the year and model of bike to yor signature line or at the very lest include that in your thread so we know if we are looking for answers for a 2002 1800C or a 2008 1300R. The K&N is and will turn black just a few weeks, leave it alone for at least a year cleaning once each spring is more than enough. Rain will not bother the oil in the K&N either. LIttle black specs is just water mixed with soot, happens with every vehicle. The bottom pipe is the front cylinder so it will be cooler because it travels just a little farther than the rear. This is also why there will be more condensation coming from the bottom pipe.

#9 ·
Well I still feel like the bike isn't running quite the way it used too.
Maybe it is female. :laugh:

Not a lot to go on as in the way it feels...

My bike seems to run differently at times. I ignore it because sometimes it 'feels' like a stinking rocket and other times it feels like I'm riding grandpaw's bike.

Chalking it up to atmospheric conditions or being a little too sensitive to what it's doing or sounding like.

Sometimes if I do a ride where most of it is slower speeds, I might forget this is a formidable bike. I just take a little detour to a highway and twist the throttle to remind me IT is still a bear.

#10 ·
If I remember correctly - you have a 1800 F, right? (you should add your year/model to your sig line)

Just throwing this out there too...
Now that you've passed the 8k miles mark, you should inspect and possibly adjust your valves... http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/valve-adjustment-vtx-1800/
I don't know if it could contribute to your issues, but it's definitely time to check it out.

Reactions: RBS
#11 ·
Ok, I'm going to try and put responses to all feedback. The bike is a 2006 1800F spec 3. There is not too much oil on the filter. The gap is correctly on the plugs. I am the second owner. The bike was running perfect right up to the moment that I changed the oil and plugs. I'll check the cables when I get home. Did I miss anything?

#13 ·
Ok, I put in the new ngk IFR5L11 plugs. The gap was correct on them. I torqued them down properly, the plug wires "snapped" onto the plugs. I checked my battery cables and they weren't loose. I'm going to take a shower, then go for a ride and see if things are better. Will update later.

#14 ·
Ok, so I took it out for about 30 miles. And my result is... The jury is out. I think it might be better, but I could also be imagining the problem. I think the only way I'll really know is if someone that has had an 1800 for a long time, takes mine out and see what they think.

#15 ·
Where are you at?

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

#16 ·
I live in puyallup, WA. And I have a new update. Went through my first tank since the changes. I'm now getting 29mpg. I've never gotten under 34 no matter how I ride. And I was less spirited on this tank than normal and still got under 30.

#26 ·
It is possible that with age, and disturbing the plug wires, one of the plugs isn't firing properly in the front cylinder. One of the fixes I've read here, never had the need to try this, is to take the plug wire end off, and cut back the plug wire like 1/4" and reinstall the wire end. Others can chime in on this, or maybe do a search for plug wire. Just spit balling, it is something that's been brought up here before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.