10Likes
  • 7 Post By EuroDude
  • 1 Post By Capt. Rory
  • 1 Post By Harkon
  • 1 Post By EuroDude

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Another Great Word for Mike Buras

This is just my post as a forum member having recently dealt with Mike Buras from BareAssChoppers.

I've got to say, Mike is a stand-up gentleman and a class act. He contacted me after I posted a reply asking about a headlight dampener (in another thread from another forum member also saying great things about him, incidentally). He contacted me as he still had a headlight dampener. Gave me his email address and we exchanged emails.

Instead of trying to sell me the headlight dampener, he did, in fact, tell me how to emulate a headlight dampener with regular items from a store. Since I'm in Europe, he mentioned it'd be cheaper considering the shipping fee for the headlight dampener to get here. However, I've been longing for a headlight dampener since I first read about it (on his site), so I still bought it from him for a pretty good price.

He asked me about my issues with my bike (vibrations, weird clunk in transmission) and he gave me some very useful pointers and help in great detail through several emails he sent me. I was amazed; I've never met him nor even exchanged a message with him prior to this. Yet there he was helping me. We even exchanged emails about his store, etc. I've felt like I was talking to a fellow VTX owner who knows his stuff; in fact, that's how it was exactly as his words were absolute wisdom and helped me!

I have nothing but great words for him. I could only hope more businessmen in the industry were like him. He shipped already the headlight dampener (as soon as I paid), so I haven't received it yet, but I just wanted to post these words as he truly is an all-round great guy.

I've accessorized my VTX too much and there's little else I can accesorize aside from getting into the carb and air intake (which I won't do due to local laws being a nuisance about CO2 emmissions). However, I will be buying from him again when the occasion comes. If you want to buy customized stuff from a business owner who knows our bikes to a T and who's also a gentleman who does what he says, then I highly recommend Mike Buras' business.

Cheers.

BTW, Mike doesn't know I've posted this nor did he asked me to post anything. This has just come out of my own self because I can easily recognize a good businessman and a good person. Too few of these people around in this industry, so I'm happy to credit one of these good people when I come across them.
RBS, Capt. Rory, Harkon and 4 others like this.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Last edited by EuroDude; 03-18-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Garage
The world needs more Mike's.
RBS likes this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Cool

I have bought parts from Mike. He is a great guy and will work with you on price. Yes he will help you with tech issue's. We need more Mike Buras's and we are proud to have him.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Bit of an update. Headlight dampener is almost here now. Mike has continued to help me over emails and we've exchanged many emails by now. Got to know him now a little and he truly is a great guy.

I'll update on how the headlight dampener works. Really looking forward to it.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Good news. Headlight dampener arrived today. Mike surrounded the headlight dampener with lots of foam bits to keep the item as protected as possible. Good eye on detail.

Headlight dampener will be installed in these coming days. I may post a report on how the rattling fares since I've a loose/damaged front fork seal which I'm 99.9% sure is also causing the main rattling noise on the front. Getting that fixed too when headlight dampener is installed, so here's to hoping all my rattling noises are killed in a couple of days!

Pictures of headlight dampener. Big thanks to Mike Buras for being such a nice helpful guy and a true gentleman.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 PM
bdm

Mike is a TOP SHELF GUY very helpfull
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 AM

Garage
I Agree!!

He, along with many other members here, are the reason I feel confident taking my bike apart. It adds to the fun of the hobby.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram,
on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!

Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Nice! Good luck with that piece. Looks like a great idea.

On my 1800 I had a persistent rattle at certain engine RPM and finally discovered it was the front trim on the bucket. It's been a while so the details are a bit fuzzy. There was a tab or a clip or something that allowed the chrome trim to vibrate against the bucket. I grabbed an o-ring (it was like a 1/2" o-ring) out of my collection, slipped it over and reassembled. I think, as I remember, there was a tab that fit into a slot on the bottom of the bucket. Reassembly was a bit tighter, getting the trim into the bucket far enough to start the screws took a little pressure, but the trim ring didn't vibrate after that.

If, for some reason, the headlight dampener doesn't rid you of all of the rattle, you may want to see about making sure the forward trim isn't the culprit. for me it wasn't anything inside. If the dampener does solve the problem, the please disregard
EuroDude likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

It's a pity I'm in Europe. I would seriously consider travelling up to 1,000 miles to visit Mike Buras so that he checks my bike (since he's a mechanic and takes customers). He's the only person so far whom I'd trust to tear apart my bike and improve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Nice! Good luck with that piece. Looks like a great idea.

On my 1800 I had a persistent rattle at certain engine RPM and finally discovered it was the front trim on the bucket. It's been a while so the details are a bit fuzzy. There was a tab or a clip or something that allowed the chrome trim to vibrate against the bucket. I grabbed an o-ring (it was like a 1/2" o-ring) out of my collection, slipped it over and reassembled. I think, as I remember, there was a tab that fit into a slot on the bottom of the bucket. Reassembly was a bit tighter, getting the trim into the bucket far enough to start the screws took a little pressure, but the trim ring didn't vibrate after that.

If, for some reason, the headlight dampener doesn't rid you of all of the rattle, you may want to see about making sure the forward trim isn't the culprit. for me it wasn't anything inside. If the dampener does solve the problem, the please disregard
Thanks for the tip, buddy!

I've actually ordered a lot of parts for the front forks and they arrived today. I'm spending too much money on this bike, but I'm willing to get down to business with these rattles. Indeed, it's one of the sealing gaskets that's broken and rattling on left fork (left fork also leaking a little bit of oil). So I've ordered almost everything new for front forks, except OEM springs which I have (and I also have Progressive's springs).

The idea is to have new front forks. My mechanic agreed if I was willing to pay the price, seeing how it's a 10-year-old bike, but he also said that Honda's cruisers are just tough animals to kill and that, when he examined the forks a couple of days ago, everything was fine except for that sealing gasket. There's no real need to replace all tiny pieces on the front forks, but I'd rather get it done. FTR, I've examined the OEM pieces that arrived today and they look very high quality.

I'm probably going on a cross-country trip in a month's time with my girlfriend and my VTX. Last year we did another cross-country tour and the whole front rattling accompanied me throughout the trip (which was a month-long trip). I really, REALLY started to hate the rattle and even the bike. Then I did the trick of putting dampening stuff inside the bike's headlight and did a couple of modifications that renewed my love for this bike. I want this bike to only make those noises that we all like to hear (exhaust, engine), and I'm pretty sure by next week I will have a non-rattling bike.
Harkon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page