"Road Hog" only for Harleys or can it be used on a VTX (stick-on chrome emblem) - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

"Road Hog" only for Harleys or can it be used on a VTX (stick-on chrome emblem)

As it turns out, I bought online from a reputable online store the 3-d emblem word "Custom" (as a pair) in chrome to stick to the sides of my front fender. However, the store mistakingly sent me another word (same 3-d chrome emblem): Road Hog (as a pair).

I told them about the mistake and they rapidly sent me the correct chrome emblem ("Custom") at no charge (good service of theirs for doing that).

I now have two cool-looking chromed-out 3-d emblems: Custom and Road Hog. As said, the Custom emblems are going each on each side of the front fender, which will look nice. So I'll have the Road Hog emblem remaining. It's only 20 bucks and I may try selling it locally but there ain't too many Harleys around here. Also, for 20 bucks, it just isn't worth my time or effort.

Now, my VTX 1300 Spokes is fully-kitted as a touring machine, and I was thinking of sticking the Road Hog emblem on the sides of my tour trunk or hard saddlebags (Tsukayu's VTX specific fiberglass bags in black). It's more chrome and it'll look good. Plus it's plastic so it won't corrode.

My question is, is the word "Road Hog" too Harley-ish and is it used to coloquially describe Harley bikes? I know HOG stands for Harley Owners Group and I've no doubt some Harley owners will have purchased the Road Hog emblem to stick on their Harleys. A hog is also a fat pig, and my VTX 1300 Spokes does really resemble what could be called a "Road Hog" since it's massive.

I'm proud of owning a Honda VTX and I don't want to be associated with Harley nor as a Harley poser/wannabe. I respect Harley owners, but I bought my VTX in spite of being able to afford a big Harley cash in hand. I simply preferred the VTX to a Harley for a variety of reasons. I usually don't care what people think, which is another reason why I bought a VTX, but I don't want to look like a Harley wannabe by having the words Road Hog clearly visible on my bike. My bike is a VTX, I'm proud of it and it also resembles a road hog if one were to draw a parallelism with an animal.

Your opinions? Is Road Hog associated with Harleys or could I use it on my VTX while still remaining a Honda VTX and not looking like a harley wannabe? Only reason I'm considering sticking this is because it's extra chrome (will look good on bike) and it was free.

PICTURES of emblems I got.

Custom (will slap these on front sides of front fender)

Road Hog (it's about 5 inches across, comes as a pair). Also the word Hog isn't spelled in capital letters as HOG. Thinking of sticking on sides of hard bags or tour trunk. It'll look good against the black paint of the fiberglass bags/trunk

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Last edited by EuroDude; 03-18-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Just a brief caution if you have no experience with 'chrome' plated plastic. It will deteriorate with time and exposure, flaking, chipping, bubbling. Limiting exposure to elements will preserve it, but its NOT metal.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Absolutely!

Slap that thing on your scooter! Who cares what some dude on a HD thinks
Patman23 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 PM

I would not use either of them on your Honda as they're blatantly in Road King font.

Just one man's opinion.

RBS and rangers4u like this.

'03 1800R

Last edited by primus; 03-19-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM
RBS

I bought a pair of emblems that read "X' treme".
If you're interested, you're welcome to them. I'll see if I can find them.

Rick

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protecters, Cobra Slip-On....

Last edited by RBS; 03-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus View Post
I would not use either of them on your Honda as they're blatantly in Road King font.

Just one man's opinion.

That's where I got the idea when I saw a Road King with the chrome emblem there. Considering how customized my VTX is, I thought and still think putting the "Custom" emblems on the sides of the front's front fender would look good. I'm going to go ahead and stick those in.

On the other hand, though, I'm going to see if I can sell the Road Hog ones. You're right in that the writing/front type emulates the HD writing, which makes the Road Hog emblem look even more geared for a Harley, so I'm not putting those in. I don't know if in the HD culture they specifically use the words "Road Hog" to describe their bikes, but seeing how the font type is the same as to a Road King's, I'm skipping the idea of sticking the Road Hog emblems.

Plus I only wanted to stick on my bike one pair of emblems, not 2 pairs of emblems as I think having 4 emblems all across the bike is a bit overdone. But hey, can never have too much chrome, even if it's ABS chrome.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Last edited by EuroDude; 03-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
Just a brief caution if you have no experience with 'chrome' plated plastic. It will deteriorate with time and exposure, flaking, chipping, bubbling. Limiting exposure to elements will preserve it, but its NOT metal.
Yes, if they start to chip and whatnot, I'll remove them. I also got a pair of 3-d flame emblems in chrome made of metal which look pretty good and which I've still to stick on. It's from Show Chrome and I was surprised to see they were made of hard metal. I'm not a fan of flames but these I bought looked cool enough for a good-enough price to buy them and then decide whether to stick them or not.

My VTX has a lot of accessories so it doesn't need more crap, but a couple more chrome pieces (plastic or metal) ain't going to do any harm, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post

Rick
Sent you a PM. Thanks!
rangers4u likes this.

Last edited by EuroDude; 03-19-2017 at 08:13 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM

On the one hand, if you really don't care what others think, then it really doesn't matter. If I saw them on your bike, I'd simply see a couple of emblems, no harm, no foul. Most of the guys I ride with, Harley or metric wouldn't care either. However, eventually you will meet the guy that sees it all differently. My friend, there are jerks all over this world, and those that give you heat for anything you do to your own ride are wound way too tight ... (JMHO)

Personally I think you should do what you like, the rest can follow or go their own way .... shouldn't affect you one bit. Ride, be free, enjoy life.

With that said, my VTX was 100% debadged. I even covered the Honda logo in the dash with a clock. It was amazing how many people asked me what my bike was. I wouldn't have ever put more badges on mine, I don't care for them personally.
rangers4u, nate6966 and KODIAK35 like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post

Rick
Just a quick update.

Rick was very kind to send me the emblems all the way from the USA to Europe. He mentioned in our PMs that there's no need to thank him publicly, but an act of kindness like this just cannot go without acknowledging it and thanking him on this thread. Nothing but a BIG PUBLIC Thank You to Rick for helping out a fellow VTXer, no matter the location (we're both very far away in this planet). The emblems are great (heck, they're unused!) and I'll be slapping them very soon on my VTX, along with the "Custom" emblems.

Here they are; again, a big thank you to Rick! My bike will soon be a "Custom" "Xtreme"

frnkcat likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Garage
It's your bike do what you like to it. My bike was debadged when I bought it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page