Natchez Trace Parkway - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MotorMark

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Natchez Trace Parkway

Now that I have another bike, I am looking at taking an overnight trip. I was looking into riding the Natchez Trace Parkway. I would like to ride up to Nashville from Chattanooga via US-41 and 41A then get on the parkway off TN-100. Then, ride a partial segment that afternoon, bed down for the night and finish it out all the way to Natchez, MS the following day. Afterwards, if time and weather permit, I'd like to ride over to Biloxi, spend a night, then head back to Chattanooga...probably on the Interstates. I may make stops in Hattiesburg and Vicksburg if time allows.

Which of you have ridden the Trace and are familiar with the areas I'm talking about? I'd greatly appreciate any information that would help me make this trip. I understand that stops are limited on the Parkway and that there are some bed and breakfast establishments along the way that are motorcycle friendly. I have asked a few people to come along, but I'd say there's a good chance it will just be me travelling.

Last edited by Titanium-X; 04-20-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM

Garage
I ride the Trace often. Generally a town and place to stop, rest, eat, pee & sleep every 30-50 miles or so. From Jackson, MS to Natchez, MS is appx. 100 miles. Port Gibson is a great stop and has a good home cooking place to eat: Country Store: 18801 Highway 61, Lorman, MS 39096.

Speed limit is 50 and is enforced. Don't go over 60.. Federal tickets are expensive, hearings and contesting were held in TX. Smooth road and wonderful scenery. Be very watchful for deer and other wildlife critters as they are never hunted and are very abundant.

You will have a fun time on your trip. Enjoy the fine seafood on the Gulf Coast. Heck you so close go on to New Orleans for a day.. Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Last edited by Curt E; 04-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
I just rode the trace from Natchez to Merriweather Lewis Campground. The road from Natchez to Jackson was nice but every now and then WAM. Bad bridge crossing, maybe a rut. I also hit some really crappy exit/on ramp areas....just pay attention. I found ALOT of local traffic from Natchez to/through Jackson so the pace was pretty good. About 60. Jackson to Tupelo was real nice along the lake, very scenic. The road from Tupelo into Ala and Tn was great. If you stop in the bigger towns it is easier to find what you want, the trace kinda wonders through remote countryside if you know what I mean, you may have an exit but the nearest town is 10 miles away. A ton of wildlife, I passed three freshly dead deer the first morning before I traveled 20 miles. So follow a car or drive slow, bobcat, turkeys, deer, owls, eagles, all crossed my path. As always ride safe safe travels

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Garage
We went north from AL 72 and stopped at Colbert Crossing at TN river.
Geocaching brought me here > Wichahpi Commemorative Stone, 13890 Lauderdale County 8,
Florence, AL 35633 Tom Hendrix great-great-grandmother Te-lah-nay was forced to go to
Oklahoma. She made it back home after a few years.
Mr. Hendrix built a large stacked stone monument. I met to him in 2010.

We stopped at a few falls and ponds, rode on some of the old NT, Jackson Falls was a stop, the
Meriwether Lewis Memorial was a stop.
A tobacco barn was full in 2010, great aroma!
The double arch bridge at TN 96 is interesting from the overlook and at ground level.

We = my nephew came up from MS, we met in AL.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

I would stop at FAME recording studio now if I were in the Muscle Shoals area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AL-TN state line04195 (Medium).JPG (126.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Buzzards roost04169 (Medium).JPG (115.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TN hwy 96 bridge stitched3.jpg (242.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Old Trace04209 (Medium).JPG (151.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TN River Colbert crossing04172 (Medium).JPG (132.6 KB, 18 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 179,444 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-20-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM

Natches Trace

It is very pretty, just don't get in a hurry. Speed limit is strictly enforced. The northern section is prettier than the southern. Total road is over 400 miles, with speed of 50 to 60, it will take a while. But it is very pretty and enjoyable. They do a good job of keeping it up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM

I'd be interested in tagging along. Depending on the timing.

Livin' Blue in a Red state.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM

I rode it along with my best friend, who lives 2 miles off the Trace near Liepers Fork. We did the entire thing both ways. Beautiful! As mentioned, follow the speed limits, so allow time for that. You HAVE to eat at Mr D's Country Store! Alton Brown stopped there during his "Feasting On Asphault" series and declared it the best fried chicken on the planet. HE WAS NOT WRONG! And all the other fixin's are just as good. It's near Lorman, MS.

youtube link for Mr. D:

Curt E likes this.

2003 1800C, "The Black Pearl" Roadhouse Shorty, 200 Metzler, L & R 5" Forwards, Kury Skull Airbox, Rivco Risers, Ultimate Big Boy Set, Iso-Wings Front & Rear, Kury Highway Pegs, Kury Convex Mirrors w/Extended Stems, Iso-Grips, Memphis Shades Black Gradient Hellcat Windshield & Lowers, & LOADS Of Chrome

Last edited by MotorMark; 04-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 PM

Last spring, we rode the Trace from Nashville for about 100 miles south. That was enough for us. It was okay but no BRP or Skyline Drive.

Watch out for turkeys. They're everywhere.

2006 VTX1800F1

The roads are calling and I must go!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 AM

for me the stops are the trace. I love seeing history, tho. Native mounds, early american houses, natural spots. Vicksburg is something. Longwood, a house in Natchez is something to see... even if you don't pay to go inside. Windsor ruins near Port Gibson is a free side trip. Been used in movies. Happy trails.

Your mileage may vary
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you all for your input. I am looking forward to this trip as long as the weather cooperates. I'm hoping to get some good pictures.

2012 HD Road King, Vivid Black, loving it so far!
2007 VTX 1300 R, Titanium, highly customized - Sold
2006 VTX 1300 C, Metallic Grey - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page