No more Japanese V-Twin cruisers/tourers for those Euros! - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down No more Japanese V-Twin cruisers/tourers for those Euros!

Just heard it from the dealership, Honda has discountinued their epic 750cc Shadow line in Europe. Yup, they're now only putting their efforts in that hipster 300/500cc crap. No more cruisers above 500cc. They've killed their epic 750cc Shadow line, almost makes me shed a tear.

The only brand-new V-Twin cruisers/tourers right now are Suzuki's 800cc (no thank you), Honda's 500cc (LOL wat?), Yamaha's 950 cafe cruiser (no more classic 950cc cruiser - instead you get hipster crap shoved down your throat from now on) and Kawasaki's 900 Vulcan (the only decent cruiser right now but lacks CCs).

There are still stocks of several big V-Twin cruisers (Kawasaki's and Suzuki's - some still listed in websites) but they aren't making any more. The new (and very-strict) Euro 4 legislation and the fact that they have to put ABS brakes on all new motorcycles moving forward from this year (2017) has killed the big 4's desire to build anything worth riding in the form of a V-Twin. That's if you actually want to ride a V-Twin (and ride a motorcycle like it's supposed to be) and not just cruise along the boulevard in your hipster tight jeans (borrowed from your girlfriend) and your stupid-looking beard making you look like a clownish pseudo male.

It's a great time to be a tree hugger or a hipster in the European Union, guys! (or if you want to ride a Harley)

Be great if other Euros could chime in.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
I expected it...

most Honda dealers in N.E. Ohio have gone to Quads, UTV.. some dirt bikes...
2 or 3 street bikes.. a few sport bikes. and ONE Goldwing.
and the ST1300 turned into a kind-of cruiser does not sell.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Dealers stock and have merchandise that sells. It costs them money if it sits on the showroom floor and they exist to make a profit.

Honda also builds what sells, they don't do if for out amusement but to make a profit.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Blame what people want to ride instead of what manufacturers want to sell....my VTX1800 will remain one of the big wolves on the prowl....

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Garage
we all knew it was coming...

when HD started making 500 and 750 bikes.. the hand writing is on the wall...

in 2005, I knew that this 1800 will be my last bike... as I do the "GO BIG or GO HOME" and I am not ready to go home

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
we all knew it was coming...

when HD started making 500 and 750 bikes.. the hand writing is on the wall...

in 2005, I knew that this 1800 will be my last bike... as I do the "GO BIG or GO HOME" and I am not ready to go home
I talked to a guy that works for a HD dealer there 500 and 750 bikes are not selling too well. This means the under 40 age crowd are not getting into motorcycles to replace the aging bikers that retire from riding. Harley will eventually be hit with declining sales in the next few years. The Shadow 750 line has not been selling well for the last few years so we knew it was just a matter of time before being dropped. One positive thing Honda still has plenty of parts in there warehouses so you can continue riding and enjoying your VTX for years to come.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 PM

disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
Blame what people want to ride instead of what manufacturers want to sell....my VTX1800 will remain one of the big wolves on the prowl....
It aint't what they want to ride - it's what they can afford.
Econ 101 - Willing and Able - few are able.
ervin260 likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I talked to a guy that works for a HD dealer there 500 and 750 bikes are not selling too well. This means the under 40 age crowd are not getting into motorcycles to replace the aging bikers that retire from riding.
I agree with you except for the bit about the under-40 crowd not getting into motorcycles. What they are not getting into are cruisers, and many of those people who bought those big cruisers from the first decade of the 2000s are too old now to want to continue riding these huge monsters (including the VTX 1300). I bought my VTX 1300 from a man in his 60s who wasn't interested in continuing to ride this beast.

I don't know what the total sales of MCs are to the under-40s but sportbikes and naked bikes (naked bike = sportbike without fairing and more-vertical sitting) are plenty popular here and it's what the under-40s are buying. You only need to look at the mega monsters that the likes of Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda are putting out these days in these two MC categories (sportbikes and naked bikes). Heck, even Honda has finally updated their liter Fireblade bike.

When I was at the Honda dealership, I saw a girl in her 20s with a Honda Grom. They've sold them out, all their Groms. Sold out before even reaching the dealership. The Honda Groms are also extremely popular in the USA even though it's a 125cc bike. The younger folks are buying bikes, but they are buying bikes that are good value for money. To put a recent example of a cruiser no longer made for the European market: a +700lbs cruiser priced at 16,500 euros (over 18,000 US dollars) like the Vulcan 1700 Classic (no bags, no nothing) is not good value for money. Drop the price to 10,000 - 12,000 euros and maybe then we can talk.

I've heard it from several dealerships from the big 4. In Europe, the Euro 4 legislation has killed any possibility of bringing back those monster V-Twin cruisers and tourers. Legendary bikes like the Vulcans, VTX, Shadow, Intruder or V-Star are all dropped and will not be made anymore except for a couple of bikes under 1000cc. Bikes sold here for the under-40 crowd are getting smaller except for a few exceptions in the legandary liter-sportbike category.

You guys in the USA still have the aforementioned Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 which is an awesome bike. Unfortunately, Kawasaki seems to think that their bikes can be priced at Harley prices, so they're priced expensive and they were very expensive in Europe when they were selling them here. Their Voyager was priced the same as an Electra Glide (or whatever the name is for the fully-kitted tourer in their model range) and the Vaquero (called the Vulcan 1700 Custom here) also had a stupidly-high price. Seriously, Kawasaki? No wonder they only sold single digits of those.

Very few people are going to pay over 20,000 bucks for a motorcycle. And, if they are going to pay that amount, they sure as heck they're going to buy a Harley for the name only (or a Goldwing if they actually ride). Harley can get away with stupidly-high prices because of their name, not because the bikes are actually worth that price objectively.

Going back to the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700, had it been priced accordingly here in Europe, I'm sure they would have sold many more. But plenty of people have complained of their pricing. I'm sure that, if the Vulcan 1700 platform was more popular, Kawasaki would have acted to make their engines compliant with the Euro 4 legislation. But, no, Kawasaki thought they could get away with their Harley prices and failed miserably. They failed so hard that they killed the entire 1700 platform for the European market. We're talking of a bike which is hands-down better than a Harley Davidson bike, yet they're happy to throw it all away because they can't sell them at Harley prices.

Euro 4 legislation + high prices + mandated ABS brakes on all bikes made + under-40 crowd with no money = no selling of big V-Twins in Europe.

It's a shame to see all these legandary bikes go. Some of these bikes had decades of history. How I wish they would bring back the Vulcan 2000 or VTX 1800 with ABS included. Not going to happen ever.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM

I have never driven a bike with ABS. Not sure how it would help prevent me from falling over or correcting going into a corner too fast :P I drove a buddies automatic bike decades ago That was different..
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertechie View Post
I have never driven a bike with ABS. Not sure how it would help prevent me from falling over or correcting going into a corner too fast :P I drove a buddies automatic bike decades ago That was different..
I doubt that ABS would have much effect in either situation you describe. Where ABS pays for itself is on slippery surfaces such as rain streets. It allows the brake system to do a much better job of braking than most of us are capable of doing. Essentially it keeps the tires and wheels from locking up and skidding. this means a quicker stop and the opportunity to steer the bike as well which you loose when sliding.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page