Caught a guy breaking into our Toy Hauler - Update - VTXOA
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Red Heat II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Caught a guy breaking into our Toy Hauler - Update

Well it took a while. Insurance totaled our Toy Hauler, got a pay out from insurance. Made the decision to buy the Hauler back. Have an offer on the table to sell Toy Hauler out right. Bought this 24 Ft. enclosed V Nose. We positioned one of our VTX's to install E tracks to strap our other VTX staggered side by side. We now have room to strap her Valkyrie trike in the rear.

We will sacrifice our option to stay in our RV which means we can only haul 2 bike's or 1 Trike.

We will give up our RV and now we have to set up Hotels but on the plus side, We can take all of our bikes….

Court is still pending for this guy. The DA called and is asking for 4 years in prison and restitution. We have little hope that we will ever get reimbursed for our loss on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_122339.jpg (211.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_122211_3.jpg (228.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170504_122229_4.jpg (191.9 KB, 55 views)

2003 VTX 1800 240

Red Heat II is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
jammerwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,744
Garage
Glad to hear insurance came through for you. Sorry to hear that they only want to put the guy away for 4 years, but it's better than a lot LESS. So, you're changing from a toy hauler to an enclosed trailer? Doesn't quite seem right, unless you're going to convert part of that trailer into an RV that you can stay in. I've known guys to do that, and some come out pretty nice.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

jammerwalker is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Red Heat II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
Glad to hear insurance came through for you. Sorry to hear that they only want to put the guy away for 4 years, but it's better than a lot LESS. So, you're changing from a toy hauler to an enclosed trailer? Doesn't quite seem right, unless you're going to convert part of that trailer into an RV that you can stay in. I've known guys to do that, and some come out pretty nice.
Hey Jammer, yes we feel like he forced this on us. We don't think we will ever get reimbursed for the damage that he did. My guess is he will be out in two years... We have him on 5 of our 7 security camera's and now we are always on edge. Lived here over 20 years and never had a problem...

We kicked it around and decided now would be a good time to convert to a 24 enclosed. I could not haul my wife's trike and my bike in the Toy Hauler at the same time. Now I could haul our two VTX's ( I cant pack any extra gear on the red the one in the trailer ) for longer rides where ever we go. Our other VTX has a luggage rack and bags for longer rides.

We also have an ATV with a plow (Tired of snow here in Colorado) , so now we can store the ATV in the front in the summer time and store the ATV in the rear in the winter time. Unfortunately we only have a two car garage so I can keep the ATV out of the elements as opposed to parking it beside the house. We have 2 cars and the two VTX's in our two car garage. ( Had to modify 2 Harbor Freight dollies )

The Toy Hauler had everything, it was nice but now we will try the Hotel route. We did not want create any debt. Have been out of debt and that makes life a lot easier....

Take care and ride safe!!

2003 VTX 1800 240

Red Heat II is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
jammerwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,744
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Heat II View Post
Hey Jammer, yes we feel like he forced this on us. We don't think we will ever get reimbursed for the damage that he did. My guess is he will be out in two years... We have him on 5 of our 7 security camera's and now we are always on edge. Lived here over 20 years and never had a problem...

We kicked it around and decided now would be a good time to convert to a 24 enclosed. I could not haul my wife's trike and my bike in the Toy Hauler at the same time. Now I could haul our two VTX's ( I cant pack any extra gear on the red the one in the trailer ) for longer rides where ever we go. Our other VTX has a luggage rack and bags for longer rides.

We also have an ATV with a plow (Tired of snow here in Colorado) , so now we can store the ATV in the front in the summer time and store the ATV in the rear in the winter time. Unfortunately we only have a two car garage so I can keep the ATV out of the elements as opposed to parking it beside the house. We have 2 cars and the two VTX's in our two car garage. ( Had to modify 2 Harbor Freight dollies )

The Toy Hauler had everything, it was nice but now we will try the Hotel route. We did not want create any debt. Have been out of debt and that makes life a lot easier....

Take care and ride safe!!
Understood. Being out of debt is a GOOD thing! Once you're there, you definitely DON'T want to go back to owing ANYTHING!
Like I said, though, maybe you could modify this new trailer to convert into an RV for when you're stopped. I've seen quite a few where the couch/bed is folded up on the sides with big screen TV possibly on one side, and AC on top, and has cabinets in the very front with sink/kitchen/bathroom/generator/propane there. You might lose a little room for the cabinets, but it's definitely doable.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

jammerwalker is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Red Heat II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
Understood. Being out of debt is a GOOD thing! Once you're there, you definitely DON'T want to go back to owing ANYTHING!
Like I said, though, maybe you could modify this new trailer to convert into an RV for when you're stopped. I've seen quite a few where the couch/bed is folded up on the sides with big screen TV possibly on one side, and AC on top, and has cabinets in the very front with sink/kitchen/bathroom/generator/propane there. You might lose a little room for the cabinets, but it's definitely doable.
I may have to look into options in time but one thing I know I would like to have is an awning on the door side to open up and sit under shade!!!

Our Toy Hauler has that. It is a sweet set up, had outdoor speakers and it also was set up to use the gate as a ramp door party deck. It was great to back up to rivers and great views!!

2003 VTX 1800 240

Red Heat II is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Pumba23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alliance, OH, USA
Posts: 24
Garage
Just a thought, my cousin has an enclosed trailer for when he takes the motocross machines to far off places. they have a bed that lowers from the ceiling. takes up almost no space, and doesn't weigh a ton. they also have speakers hooked up, pretty simple fix there.


'04 1300C, 45k miles, Mustang seat and backrests, Rinehart Racing exhaust, Cobra floorboards

Stay safe, Shiney side up
Pumba23 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
jammerwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,744
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Heat II View Post
I may have to look into options in time but one thing I know I would like to have is an awning on the door side to open up and sit under shade!!!

Our Toy Hauler has that. It is a sweet set up, had outdoor speakers and it also was set up to use the gate as a ramp door party deck. It was great to back up to rivers and great views!!
Sounds nice. Wife and I have been thinking about ditching the house soon and going with a Toy Hauler like that instead, probably closer to the time she retires in a few years, and when I can move with my job back to TX, she wants to open a "tiny house" B&B. This way, we'd have the Toy Hauler for when we want to go to rallies or vacations and such, but not have to live constantly in such a confined space, yet we can start getting used to living "tiny" in it, until the B&B main "tiny house" is built. If we could use some of the money from selling the house to get the Toy Hauler, we could possibly be debt free, and still have enough left over to get a couple "tiny houses" for the B&B, plus with the money we'd be saving on mortgage and utilities (from using solar and wind for power generation, and water reclamation), we could "invest" in more "tiny houses" to expand the B&B business fairly soon, too. That's the plan, at least.
Pumba23 likes this.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

jammerwalker is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Red Heat II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba23 View Post
Just a thought, my cousin has an enclosed trailer for when he takes the motocross machines to far off places. they have a bed that lowers from the ceiling. takes up almost no space, and doesn't weigh a ton. they also have speakers hooked up, pretty simple fix there.
Sorry got busy, do you know if your cousin was equipped with a generator?

2003 VTX 1800 240

Red Heat II is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Red Heat II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
Sounds nice. Wife and I have been thinking about ditching the house soon and going with a Toy Hauler like that instead, probably closer to the time she retires in a few years, and when I can move with my job back to TX, she wants to open a "tiny house" B&B. This way, we'd have the Toy Hauler for when we want to go to rallies or vacations and such, but not have to live constantly in such a confined space, yet we can start getting used to living "tiny" in it, until the B&B main "tiny house" is built. If we could use some of the money from selling the house to get the Toy Hauler, we could possibly be debt free, and still have enough left over to get a couple "tiny houses" for the B&B, plus with the money we'd be saving on mortgage and utilities (from using solar and wind for power generation, and water reclamation), we could "invest" in more "tiny houses" to expand the B&B business fairly soon, too. That's the plan, at least.
Hey Jammer we got tied up!!
That sounds like a good plan. I don't have a clue what it takes to run a B & B but my guess is insurance will play a part.
Good Idea!! I always wanted to do RV parking. Never got serious about it but thought overhead may be low. My concern was always insurance...

Well our bad luck continues, Some lady drove thru our fence and took out a tree and 2 sections.. of course she had no insurance. Been busy repairing our fence on our dime...
Last Monday our new 24 ft. enclosed trailer got it with hail damage. Dealer was only willing to take off another $726.00 from our purchase amount which was already at a 2016 close out price.
I felt like we had to pull the trigger on the damaged enclosed trailer to sell our toy hauler!!

Good luck to you guys on your wife's retirement plans.... Sounds like a good one!

2003 VTX 1800 240

Red Heat II is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Pumba23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alliance, OH, USA
Posts: 24
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Heat II View Post
Sorry got busy, do you know if your cousin was equipped with a generator?
He did have a back up propane generator on board, mounted to the tongue, but he wired up electrical like a regular camper for plugging into RV spots and such.


'04 1300C, 45k miles, Mustang seat and backrests, Rinehart Racing exhaust, Cobra floorboards

Stay safe, Shiney side up
Pumba23 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome