Lets talk tank bags.... - VTXOA
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Lets talk tank bags....

I am leaving for an extended trip in 5 weeks. My saddlebags will be full and i would like a easy to reach place other than jacket pockets. I also would like to be able to see GPS services on my phone. I would like to be able to put a extra pair of glasses, gloves, some snacks, and a water bottle inside.
I have an 1800 C and no windshield.
I have zero experience with tank bags but figured it would be the easy way to have the small necessities at an easy reach.

Can i get some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Garage
If you have a windshield on your bike, a small bag mounted there might be even better, though it's not usually big enough to fit a water bottle, but the other stuff typically does.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

https://www.denniskirk.com/sport-bik...and-frame/1.pg

They will be magnetic, some of these slide when loaded too heavily. Water bottle, I'd buy a RAM mount system with a bottle holder. Keep that weight out of the bag
bbqguy likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
If you have a windshield on your bike, a small bag mounted there might be even better, though it's not usually big enough to fit a water bottle, but the other stuff typically does.
No windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
https://www.denniskirk.com/sport-bik...and-frame/1.pg

They will be magnetic, some of these slide when loaded too heavily. Water bottle, I'd buy a RAM mount system with a bottle holder. Keep that weight out of the bag
I figured i would have to use magnetic bag. I just have zero experience with any kind of tank bag.
That is sound advice about keeping the weight out, thank you.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 PM

I bought this one for a trip I will be taking this September. It does a good job and was inexpensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Universa...BXibnn&vxp=mtr
Bought this about a year ago and it works great. Can hold my 32 oz yeti cup with no problem. Over 2000 miles and no problem.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURYAKYN-Han...dWFA8N&vxp=mtr
Planning for the trip and getting the stuff is almost as fun as the trip.
bbqguy likes this.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
I thought I posted here already. I have a tank bag, magnetic. I carry a Canon, 3 lenses, chargers, batteries and other assorted things. It stays in place just fine but the weight and bag have rubbed the clear coat some. I would think weight, type of material on back of bag really matter. I have a bottle holder, it holds all kinds of stuff...lol. I can also carry a water between my windshield and handle bars, sits on the tripple tree. I used to carry the map between my windshield and 3 pouch bag on the windshield. Now I have got the phone on a RAM mount (modified for me) working via bluetooth for route control, google maps. Really Sweet.

LOL when I first bought this bike I went to the auto parts store and bought one o those cheap plastic cup holders. Cut it up and wire tied it to the handle bar and let it rest on the tripple tree. That was my cup holder for a short while. Then found a used chrome cup holder.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

Last edited by heffly; 05-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:51 AM

When I need a map or directions I get them and write them on the side of the windshield with a dry eraser-able marker. When I get where i am going i just wipe it off. Can update the direction when I fill up if I need to.
SeaSteve likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerb View Post
When I need a map or directions I get them and write them on the side of the windshield with a dry eraser-able marker. When I get where i am going i just wipe it off. Can update the direction when I fill up if I need to.

That works great. If you have a windshield. Which i do not and i dont plan on having.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqguy View Post
That works great. If you have a windshield. Which i do not and i dont plan on having.
You must have strong arms. Weeks of getting pelted and pulled by the wind would make me quit riding. Good Luck to ya.

North Texas Rider
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:50 PM

Wow, no windshield for a long trip? A friend used to do it but he is younger and tougher than me. He finally discovered windshields.

Suggestion on the drink part. To drink while riding I have used a Camelback filled with ice and some water. It was the largest size I could find. I think it was a 2 liter but might have been larger. By using it I took in small amounts of water over a longer period of time thus not needing to pee as often. Also I have carried water, juice, and candy bar in a Polar Bear ice chest for a drink/snack at a rest or fuel stop. Some frozen bottles of water work for the ice.

To drink something other than water while riding you are on your own as I do not use cup holders, they get in my way and don't hold enough drink.

As for the tank bag I have not used one. I have a windshield bag, and two pouches attached to the windshield. Plus a small Rapid Transit bag attached to the left and one to right side of my handle bars. I have considered buying a tank bag, just not sure on type but now I have some ideas after reading the above ideas.

Thanks

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 127k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour

Last edited by leroys73; 05-14-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page