Help Again please - VTXOA
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cokerb
  • 2 Post By DarkShadow

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Help Again please

A friend has a 2008 Road Star. Bike is stock except for windshield and driver backrest. Has 185 miles on it. Clutch plates were stuck but freed up when I rode it. Had a bad skip and black substance running front somewhere onto pipes. Owner thinks a valve is stuck. I offered him 3000 as is a few weeks back and he said he thought it was worth more. Saw him today and asked if he had the plugs he wanted me to put in it. He said, "Why don't you buy the bike and fix it. If you decide you don't want it I will give you your money back plus whatever you have spent fixing it"
First Question-------- What is a fair price. I was think 3800.00
Second Question----what might be causing the black substance and what could it be a sign of.
Third Question-----What else do I need to look for
I understand the friendship risk. I would not even pay for the bike until I decided whether or not I wanted it. We would just agree on a price. Also money in not an issue with the owner. This is one of 6 bikes he has because he likes them. They all just sit is his garage and are never ridden unless I or someone else rides them.
Dartanuan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Garage
Is the mileage actually 185, or is that a typo?? Of course, you will be looking at tires, battery, all fluids, etc,, on top of anything else you find. I guess the black stuff could be a failed fork seal?? I that condition, and with there being NO danger of you getting stuck with the bike if you find a "deal breaker", I would think that your original offer of $3,000 was a fair price. Maybe bump it to $3,500. The Road Star is a nice bike, and the dependability is there from Yamaha. Sounds like the offer he made you couldn't make things much safer!!!
Safe Riding, and let's see some pics.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, Progressive 430 Shocks, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Garage
2008 with 185 miles.
Injected or carb(s)?
Dead cylinder??
Excessive fuel washing off carbon and running out of exh pipe.
Stuck open injector or stuck open float valve.
Compression test would confirm or deny stuck valve.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 181,111 miles of smiles

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

My advice....walk away. There seems to be something majorly wrong with it, he knows or has a strong suspicion of same and wants to have money in his account ASAP. Once he has the money and you have the bike, he will never give that money back. Walk away from it, walk away..........................

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM

I agree with Spike 100%. It would most likely result in a project you will spend too much money and time on and damage your friendship.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
2008 with 185 miles.
Injected or carb(s)?
Dead cylinder??
Excessive fuel washing off carbon and running out of exh pipe.
Stuck open injector or stuck open float valve.
Compression test would confirm or deny stuck valve.
Bike is fuel injected. I thought about the injector problem. How do you check that and how do you fix it?

Info I was not clear on. I drove bike for about 10 miles. Had a skip and weak in power. Substance was getting on pipes in middle part of bike.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
My advice....walk away. There seems to be something majorly wrong with it, he knows or has a strong suspicion of same and wants to have money in his account ASAP. Once he has the money and you have the bike, he will never give that money back. Walk away from it, walk away..........................
I did not make myself clear. I would not pay for the bike until I decided if I wanted it or not. I agree with you paying and then wanting refund ---- to much that could go wrong and not worth a friendship.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkuehn View Post
I agree with Spike 100%. It would most likely result in a project you will spend too much money and time on and damage your friendship.
I also agree with Spike and prkuehn, walk away don't buy this bike. Here are some reasons I would not buy the bike. First and foremost your friendship what if the bike turns out to have some serious engine damage, it could end up costing more than you planned on spending, can you deal with this. Unless you have the skills to take on this project, parts and labor could cost big $$$ into the $1000s if you have a shop do the work. The engine heads may have to be disassembled, some models require engine removal from the frame in order to remove the heads. Remember also the break in period first 600 miles is very important to the life of a engine. What bothers me is the bike was parked at 185 miles for 9 years with the maybe with the original oil in the motor. If your friend feels he can get $3800 for the bike not running correctly let him sell it to someone else if he can. If someone else does buy it, chances are he wont be happy too once he realizes what he got himself into.
cokerb and BobD like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page