Honda VTX Forum banner

Old Helmets...what to do

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Jakksin Henson 
#1 ·
What do you do with your old helmets...really hate to throw them away...thanks

#2 ·
Check out Hellmutts on line. They reline/refurbish old helmets. It does not make them DOT compliant but, they do real nice work.

#6 ·
You could always "repurpose" them to make them into lamps or other stuff.

#7 ·
Stick on the shelf as a spare. The 3rd helmet get trashed. I pretty much do the same things with my clutch and throttle cable. I take them as spares on extended road trips. Its better to have it and not need it than be stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck in the middle of nowhere.

#8 ·
My daughters love playing with them. Teddy bears become motorcyclists, they wear them to play Star Wars, one even anchored a costume in a school skit.

#9 ·
Everything ages and breaks down. A helmet is no different but from my perspective, it's better than not having one. The one I have now for about a year has served me well including the scratches on the back from asphalt when I took a spill recently making a turn at 5mph. Front tire hit gravel.

It has a visor, easy to snap on/off, and the straps offer some protection over my ears. However, I got my $45 worth out of it and time to replace it.

I want this one....

#12 ·
#13 ·
I've been saving one to cut in half, and mount to a wall or window in an artful repose. :roll::?::roll:
The rest, recycled. Got some good ideas going here, I might have to save a few more.

#14 · (Edited)
I usually use my helmets until I decide they are not safe anymore, so there is no way I could in good conscious sell or give my old helmets to another motorcyclists. Given that line of logic I gave my last 2 helmets to the kids across the street. They wore them while riding their big wheels.

Reactions: nate6966
#16 ·
Hanging on my garage wall. I can't throw out an old friend that easily lol funny because I'm the opposite of a pack rat with everything else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.