Hello hello - Shaw invited me - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Hello hello - Shaw invited me

Found the OA before the Cafe about 6 months ago when I was on a Shadow but looking to upgrade to the X. Dunno why I ended up over at the Cafe more than here, but now that I know of an active group in my area I'm hopeful to play here.

Little background on me. Been riding since I was old enough to. No bike I ever really fell in love with, they were all just a ride. Rode Street, Sport, 1 HD, and Cruisers. My first love was my Purple 2000 Roadie. Sadly taken from me in 2001 by a left turner on 28 in Hooksett the day before the WTC were hit by hijackers so the whole 9/11 thing is sorta surreal for me. About a year later I mounted up on a friends Vstar 650 that wasn't being ridden. Didin't feel right ridding someone else's bike and of course I ended up back in that same intersection same time of night and ...you guessed it, left turner. No hit this time. Had the owner on the back with me too (girl of course). Pulled over and puked my guts out. Had I been alone I probably would have walked away from the bike and most likely never looked back. Luckily I had to man up in front of the chick and I got back on what was probably an hour later.

Rented a few, still not the same. wasn't sure if it was the crash and then the near crash that did it or if it was "this biek isn't mine" syndrome.

Wasn't til April 2010 that I started riding my own again. Picked up an '86 VT1100C of Craigslist for trade of a laptop. $400 into it and a little over a year of riding it.... sold it for what I thought I would be buying, a 2012 Victory Cross Country. But @ $14K I just couldn't pull the trigger. On the old Shadow forum there is a guy that has a VTX 1300, never seen the VTX before but man that was one hot bike he had. Asked him all kinds of questions about it then found this site and the Cafe. Started shopping locally, on ebay, and CL for a VTX 1300, didn't know about the C the R or the S. Read read read and read some more. Oh yeah... I want a 1300R.

Found "Blue Jean Baby" - a 2005 1300R, in a town just outside of San Antonio TX just before Thanksgiving. Had a Shadow forum mener go check it out for me and went on the pics I had, the description I had, and what the Shadow member told me. Paypal'd a deposit to the seller after negotiations, fly out Dec 1, 2011 to ride it home. Of course Texas is in a drought and the weekend I fly in to ride a "New to me" bike it rains straight for 3 days...

On day 2 I decide to just hope on the slab and outrun the rain. I had planned on spending the weekend in San Antonio to get to know the bike in case there were any issues. The plan was to ride back roads all the way back to NH, with a backup plan of hauling it. Everyone I told said I was crazy to ride this time of year INTO New England.

Long story short, I hit soem weather but I would not trade my 2800+ mile backroad ride from TX to FL then up to NH in 9 days for anything. One of the best rides I've ever had. Met up with the friends I made ont he Shadow forum, and a few guys from the Cafe on my way home. Some of them are now very good friends of mine. Looking forward to making some here too.

Thanks for having me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Hey Guys,

Yeah I saw Paplonis along with a few other NH VTX folks over on the Cafe asking about the existence of a NH VTX riders group. After a while things looked pretty bleak and those few guys started to think they were the only NH VTX folks in the state. So when I came across those threads, I assured them that they were not alone and that there are pleanty of us that are always up for riding around on our X's. I let them know about Tech Day so hopefully we'll see some new faces at some of our rides/events this season.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 AM

Welcome to the family..good people here, you'll have a good time..looking forward to meeting you..I also was the victim of a left turner,so know how you felt..hope to see you on tech day..

04 1300C RIP
06 1300C Black Cherry..Walts toy
08 1300C metallic black..Walts new toy
08 1300C Candy Red
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to badone Send a message via Yahoo to badone
Newbe

Welcome aboard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

New Guy

Hey, Papalonis.
Welcome.
I'm another one of the new guys around here. I've never met any of the others, but I've been messaging around here for a few months and the other ongoing members of NH VTX Riders make you feel right at home.
I am going to be riding on Sundays with the club this season .
Post some pictures of your X.
Here are a few shots of mine.

Be good, and I'll see you "out there."

Hondabilly
2007 VTX1800F3 – metallic black
National Cycle “Paladin” highway bars
NC “Switchblade Shorty” windscreen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capella2.jpg (65.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 0902111835a.jpg (52.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1211100940a.jpg (64.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg F3.jpg (56.8 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I would feel like I'm double posting but I will definitely get some pics up here. I have my own site for my own little deal. Check out my VTX Garage for all my mods, rides, and general bike pics.

This one will have to do for now, I've changed her up a bit from stock and purchase from PO. Only "good" pic I have of her is after washing and the puddle looks like it's an oil leak so it ruined the pic.

This was taken for a photo scavenger hunt I was playing on another forum. My son loves the game but that thread got killed by online drama and bickering. He's 6 and he rides alot with me. He loves riding as much if not more than me (if that's even possible). Mom has her moments on how she feels about it... we do our best to keep him safe so even though we are in NH he won't see me without a helmet.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Doc Rick
Canyon,
Welcome to the NH VTX Riders board, a very popular board. We have have a lot of knowledge about the 1300 and 1800. This April 21st, we are having our 5th annual Tech Day. On this day in the past we have done easy things such as oil and final drive fluid changes, plugs, bushings for rear shocks and brake pads. Other, more difficult projects, include replacing front fork springs, steering bearings replacement, total coolant flushes, desmog/pair valve project, new exhaust systems, and electrical projects. Usually a dozen and half bikes worked on throughout the day. Burgers and dogs, chips and sodas are endless.
Please come by to meet the group and check out our mods and grab some new ideas.
Again Welcome!
Doc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to badone Send a message via Yahoo to badone
Another newbe

Welcome to you to Canyon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Been modding all winter (since I got the bike really) and think I'm about done for now. If I had a bike jack and/or stand I'd be pulling the wheels to make it easier for me to polish. She is in desperate need of a real good cleaning. One of the drawbacks about riding her all winter in New England. Up to the Canadian border in January and got snowed on 18 miles from my mark. I made it but the ride home had some salt in it. Did my best to wash it but now she needs to be repolished. I plan on making Tech day. Reading about it now and trying to find the time, I got the location, but still reading for time.

Thanks for the welcoming.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Doc Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon View Post
Been modding all winter (since I got the bike really) and think I'm about done for now. If I had a bike jack and/or stand I'd be pulling the wheels to make it easier for me to polish. She is in desperate need of a real good cleaning. One of the drawbacks about riding her all winter in New England. Up to the Canadian border in January and got snowed on 18 miles from my mark. I made it but the ride home had some salt in it. Did my best to wash it but now she needs to be repolished. I plan on making Tech day. Reading about it now and trying to find the time, I got the location, but still reading for time.

Thanks for the welcoming.
About 9am until the work is done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page