1800 to 2000 big bore kit - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

1800 to 2000 big bore kit

Hi All

This is my first post here and I hope you all can help me with an idea I have.

I see that there is now a big bore kit for the 1800cc Honda V-Twin motor. It boosts the displacement to two liters. There is also a new set of cams for this kit. I am thinking of doing this to my bike. Here is a link: http://www.v2x.com/maxx121.htm

I love my VTX and have done some mods to it already. I have a kuryakyn hyper charger, a power commander 2 , a D&D slip on muffler and an O2 sensor eliminator. It's fairly fast now but more displacement is always nice. This big bore kit is far from cheap but good things seldom are cheap.

Has anyone done this? How did it work out? They say it will last a lifetime but is there any information to the contrary?

Thank you all for the help
Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 AM
X'N

I don't think that company is in business any more... And that kit is nothing new its been around since 2003 or so...

Call this guy he is one of the top builders of vtx engines.

http://www.designedperformance.com/

Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast. My advice is throw a bunch of nitrous to it is the cheapest route to go.

2012 Victory Cross country
[SIGPIC]http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272[/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X'N
Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast.
and here I thought it already went fast

2002 1800 C/F/R - custom paint by Hoss1
2000 VTR1000F Superhawk - yellow
2000 Ducati 996 - red
1994 XR650L - dirty
A witty saying proves nothing.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to hivoltg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X'N
Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast.
and here I thought it already went fast
Your definition of fast is skewed

OB HOODLUMS.....FIRST 5!
www.hensleyoutfitters.com
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM
X'N

My roadrunner I sold to buy my VTX was a lot faster... So yea this bike is slow to me...

2012 Victory Cross country
[SIGPIC]http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272[/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Call David Campbell at http://www.designedperformance.com/ He will be your best source for the information you’re wanting.
Also check out David E. http://www.vtxperformance.com/ He has worked with David C. on his 2000cc beast only 150+ hp at the wheel

After I got my X I wanted to do the same thing your thinking about
But I decided to roll my $ in to a fat time set up and all the chrome goodies that's needed. 3 years later I feel like I made the right choice
My bike puts out 98hp all day long which is enough for me.........right now

02 1800C & 05 1800R
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM

for the money you would spend on making the X fast
you could buy any 600+cc sport bike and get the same
thing ...

big v-twins are just not built for speed ... they are made for
all day cruising at lower rpm's ... made to be stable, handle
well and stop when they need to ...

if you want the V built for speed, get the V65 Sabre ... cost
a lot less than a big-bore kit and probably still leave the
big bore in the dust ...

2005 VTX 1800 F3 (Canada)
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Aww, lighten up ...

Not to start a flame war here, but you guys are missing the point. Red likes his big twin, but wants to make it go faster. That's all. He's not out to race super sports and hyper-bikes, he just wants to get more out of the one he has and obviously already likes. It's just taking the intake and exhaust mods that most people do to the next level. If he wanted a hyper-fast bike, he'd have bought a 'Busa ... or two. Am I right? I mean, am I???

It's no different than taking a 125 cc to Bonneville ... they ain't out to set a land speed record, they just want to see what they can squeeze out of 125 cc's. Same deal here ... a lot of us like to see what we can wring out of two big jugs; some are just willing to wring it a little tighter than others. I myself am not into tearing into the engine, but I certainly applaud those diligent ones that are.

Sorry I don't have anything to lend to your question, Red, but good luck to ya, and please let us know how you make out.

Ed

ed

2014 Black Honda CTX1300
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi All
EDC is correct I am not interested in breaking any land speed records but I would like more power.

When I was a youngster in my twenties, I'm in my fifties now, I had a Hardly Dangerous. It was six inches over in the rear and six inches over in the front. Had all sorts of go fast stuff on it and in it. The one thing I liked about that bike, and it boils down to only one thing, was when I up shifted to second and banged the throttle I could lift the front wheel. That's torque. I would like the same with a bike that is six hundred cc's bigger. I know that one could say well it was the belt primary or the chain drive or the HD was a lot lighter and it was.. But the Honda does have six hundred more cc's.

With the VTX I have already blown off cafe racer types on the freeway. Had some guy a couple of years ago come up next to me on the freeway. We were going about sixty or seventy and he popped it up on it's rear tire. I didn't down shift or hunch over the bars or anything like that I just opened it up. I was in fifth and he couldn't catch me. But my gut tels me that this bike has a lot more penitential for speed and torque.

I do know that the website that I posted said that their offices are closed but it doesn't say they have gone out of business. I am sure that if I really wanted to I could get some from them or camco. Both say they are out of the VTX market but money talks BS walks. But the most likely thing to happen is I will split the difference and just install a new set of cams in it from web cam. I suspect it will be sometime in the spring that I do this. The place I would have do it, I used to do all my own work but I can afford to pay someone else to do it now, has a dyno and does custom maps for the Power commander.

The one big problem I have with this is my wife. She wants me to sell my bike. I had cancer a few years ago and my reflexes are not what they used to be. But I think I'm still good enough to ride. I have a friend that is an old Chinese guy. He says "Meat on inside good. Meat on outside bad." My wife keeps reminding me about the Meat on the outside thing.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
for the money you would spend on making the X fast
you could buy any 600+cc sport bike and get the same
thing ...

big v-twins are just not built for speed ... they are made for
all day cruising at lower rpm's ... made to be stable, handle
well and stop when they need to ...

if you want the V built for speed, get the V65 Sabre ... cost
a lot less than a big-bore kit and probably still leave the
big bore in the dust ...
I've owned both, and my V65 was faster. Much faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page