1800 big bore kit - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

1800 big bore kit

i want to make my 1800 as fast as possible.... i already have an air cleaner, exhaust, and a power commander. i want to add the big bore kit that will bring the bike up to 2000cc. how much does it cost, parts and instalation? is that something that can be done by one of your buddies with of a couple cases of beer and the right tools... or should it be done professionally? is there anything else i can do or should do at the same time as the bore kit? someone said cams or injecters? not really sure and would definitly appreciate some feedback, brand names or list of parts would be great too
thanks
dan

2005 VTX 1800F2, 3" BIG STRAIGHTS, KYRYAKYN PRO HYPER CHARGER, POWER COMMANDER, MUSTANG SEAT, ISO FLAME GRIPS AND PEGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Re: 1800 big bore kit

What all comes in a big bore kit? If its anything like a sportbike big bore kit you'll need to do valves, springs, maybe rods the list is probably as long as you wanna make it really.
D.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
kxb

Send a message via AIM to kxb

http://www.dynoman.net/engine/pistons/honda.html

Scroll down to the bottom. Wiseco makes some pistons to meet your needs. I thought I saw a post on the board about someone boring out some extra cylinder room too.

I have no idea how hard this is, but you're basically going to have to tear the entire engine apart. I wouldn't attempt this without a full time mechanic nearby, unless you're a fulltime mechanic yourself, or really hot stuff with a wrench, or you have a lot of time and money to burn gettin' her put back together.

Good luck!

2005 VTX 1800R - With bags, soon to be custom painted
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Do a search on the subject...for the time and money,you get very little gain...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:04 PM

The Wiesco big bore kit was built using my friends motor. He loves it, it was alot of work considering back in 2002 there was no aftermarket parts available for the 1800, he had alot of custom work into making the bike run right with that kit. Whoever says you get very little gain is off their rocker. He leaves me sooo far in the dust it when we race it isn't even funny. There is NO cruisers in this area that can touch him. With that said anyone wanna press their luck??? He loves to race..

" to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid!"

2002 VTX1800C - "clapped out". custom paint, lowered, no mirrors, speedo, turn signals, rear seat/pegs, no oil in right fork. big FAT 180 tire. eats Roadstar Warriors for lunch!!
2001 CBR929RR - yanashiki exhaust, pcIII, scott's damper, air/engine mods, avon shoes, faaaaaast ! !
1961 CB77 SuperHawk 305 - chopper
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosteveo
The Wiesco big bore kit was built using my friends motor. He loves it, it was alot of work considering back in 2002 there was no aftermarket parts available for the 1800, he had alot of custom work into making the bike run right with that kit. Whoever says you get very little gain is off their rocker. He leaves me sooo far in the dust it when we race it isn't even funny. There is NO cruisers in this area that can touch him. With that said anyone wanna press their luck??? He loves to race..

With just a rebore...very little gain...If you want to sink a bunch of money in other work,
it will go faster...
.......as far as my rocker,I am still in Sonny....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Just a rebore and it wouldn't even run.

He has the following done:

wiseco big bore kit
power comander
v&h pipes
kury hypercharger
light porting work while motor was apart.

I guess that I misspoke when I stated that he had alot of custom work, It was just air flow issues... but the Hypercharger straightened it out.

I agree big bore alone.. no gain. But with the bolt ons that go hand in hand with a big bore kit it is a HUGE difference. Everyone puts the bolt ons on anyway... right?

2002 VTX1800C - "clapped out". custom paint, lowered, no mirrors, speedo, turn signals, rear seat/pegs, no oil in right fork. big FAT 180 tire. eats Roadstar Warriors for lunch!!
2001 CBR929RR - yanashiki exhaust, pcIII, scott's damper, air/engine mods, avon shoes, faaaaaast ! !
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosteveo
Just a rebore and it wouldn't even run.

He has the following done:

wiseco big bore kit
power comander
v&h pipes
kury hypercharger
light porting work while motor was apart.

I guess that I misspoke when I stated that he had alot of custom work, It was just air flow issues... but the Hypercharger straightened it out.
I agree big bore alone.. no gain. But with the bolt ons that go hand in hand with a big bore kit it is a HUGE difference. Everyone puts the bolt ons on anyway... right?
I though the Hyper was one of the least effective aftermarket intakes??
Wouldnt the Hurricane or Tornado be a better set up??
...and when you say rebore,are you just re-sleeving the cylinder?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM

I am planning to do this soon so I hope to be able to provide some real world results from my experience. In addition to big-bore the pistons are High-Compression so the gains are not simply from the bore.

Anyway, I hope to be reporting some gains over my current configuration.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 PM

real results: Honda claims 106 hp on the vtx1800c stock (crank) = about 90-95 (rear wheel.)

Wiseco big bore (with add ons mentioned above) = 132.1 rear wheel dyno tested.

As far as the hypercharger is concerned... dunno. probably not the best.

As far as resleeveing... dunno Wiseco did it 6 years ago... called the friend who has the bike (for dyno results) and does not know how Wiseco did the boring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page