need to repair wire & pin on ECM - VTXOA
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AzAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 371
need to repair wire & pin on ECM

I noticed that the someone had installed ( I'm going to say alligator connector... on the red wire with the yellow stripe) right up next to the ECM, when I looked at it, it was very loose and basically, just spinning on the wire, I pried it open and sure enough..... there was only one strand left on the wire it was connected too, my problem is now.... how can I fix this? I pulled the female connector out of the plug that goes onto the ECM, hoping I could solder or crimp another piece of wire onto it..... but its not in any shape to try to reuse, as the part on top broke off when it came out of the plug.... I thought possibly soldering a wire directly to the male pin on the ECM, then sliding the plug back onto the ECM with the new wire going through the space where the old pin was..... but not really keen on that idea ...... any suggestions, or where can I get a new female pin that would work in the plug for the ECM?????

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT...... IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!
2005 VTX 1800 F spec 3
AzAce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
2wheelsforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: gulf breeze fl
Posts: 3,208
I have the same problem and asked for help a couple of weeks ago and got no solutions. I will tell you if you solder it with a large clump of metal it will negativatly affect the way the bike runs. Let me know if you find out how the replace the tips at the end of the wire for a new clean insertion.

2wheelsforme is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AzAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
I have the same problem and asked for help a couple of weeks ago and got no solutions. I will tell you if you solder it with a large clump of metal it will negativatly affect the way the bike runs. Let me know if you find out how the replace the tips at the end of the wire for a new clean insertion.
will let you know if I come up with a solution...... there's a place in town called circuit specialists, that I'm going to check and see if they have the correct female pin...if not..... I'm going to go to the salvage yard and give them a few bucks to let me cut off one of the plugs for the ECM. and take one of the wires with the female pin on it, and install it in place of this one. they come out by taking the rubber seals off and inserting something like a small needle into the front and pushing down the tab that holds them into the gray plastic plug, and pushing the female pin, out the back of the plug

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT...... IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!
2005 VTX 1800 F spec 3
AzAce is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 5,143
pick up a new connector from someone parting out a bike or a junkyard and put a new pin in with a longer pigtail to connect the broken wire?

or you might even be able to swap out the whole connector (but that would require a lot more cutting and soldering!)

-Richard
05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
DS -01/06/07
nodakbassmaster is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
skier-24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 521
Pictures?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 1800C with HK Kickers, K&N, PCIII, Desmogged, Memphis Shades, Ultimate Big Boy seat and backrests, Kurakyan throttle lock and Hondaline Bags. I almost forgot, the Gremlin Bell. VR2 on now!
skier-24 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
fastspek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Absurdistan
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAce View Post
will let you know if I come up with a solution...... there's a place in town called circuit specialists, that I'm going to check and see if they have the correct female pin...if not..... I'm going to go to the salvage yard and give them a few bucks to let me cut off one of the plugs for the ECM. and take one of the wires with the female pin on it, and install it in place of this one. they come out by taking the rubber seals off and inserting something like a small needle into the front and pushing down the tab that holds them into the gray plastic plug, and pushing the female pin, out the back of the plug
Look into the connector. There are some empty female pins that are not used and not connected to a wire. Remove one of them using a very tiny screwdriver to push the tab down. Connect this pin to the wire and put it into the right place.

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (forever)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
fastspek is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 5,143
good call!

-Richard
05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
DS -01/06/07
nodakbassmaster is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
gEEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Philomath, Or.
Posts: 837
According to Biglry, you can get replacement ECU pins through Honda dealers. Car dealers, not MC dealers. The autos use the same pins connectors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gEEz is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
skier-24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 521
If it is what I am thinking of, there is a special tool for removing those pins. It makes the job easier with no damage. I have bought pins at Radio Shack but had to buy a whole plug to get the pins.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 1800C with HK Kickers, K&N, PCIII, Desmogged, Memphis Shades, Ultimate Big Boy seat and backrests, Kurakyan throttle lock and Hondaline Bags. I almost forgot, the Gremlin Bell. VR2 on now!
skier-24 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AzAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastspek View Post
Look into the connector. There are some empty female pins that are not used and not connected to a wire. Remove one of them using a very tiny screwdriver to push the tab down. Connect this pin to the wire and put it into the right place.
I looked into all the unused slots ( at least I thought I did ) didn't find any pins in them.... that was the first thing I did.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier-24 View Post
If it is what I am thinking of, there is a special tool for removing those pins. It makes the job easier with no damage. I have bought pins at Radio Shack but had to buy a whole plug to get the pins.
went to 4 different Radio Shacks, hoping to do just that..... the Radio Shacks now days are nothing like they used to be back in the 70's where they carried everything you could possibly ever need, electronics wise. now days it's more like walking into the electronics dept at K-Mart!

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT...... IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!
2005 VTX 1800 F spec 3
AzAce is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome