just did brake pads... rear pad/caliper problem - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

just did brake pads... rear pad/caliper problem

Okay...

front pads no problem... followed directions from some "northstarriders" out of MN from a post of mine a few weeks ago in anticipating changing the pads...

Now the rear... Houston we may have a problem...

Didn't really have directions but took a similar process... only didn't pull the caliper completely off... first just could not get it to clear the rotor..

but was able to compress the piston and get new pads on fine...

Pumped both front and rear up at the same time... no problem... pumped the foot pedal for rear a number of times and got it really tight...

took it for a test spin... and when rolling it out of the garage, the pads were snug against the rotors and felt like the brakes were on..

A trip up/down the road about 65-70 mph about 5-8 miles total...brakes work fine... fronts okay... rear caliper and disc ...got might hot... took 5-10 minutes to cool off so that I could actually leave my hand on them for a bit...

So... that said the rear pads were thicker, rotor thicker... is this normal ?

seems everything is lined up as it should be, pads in place ...

should this go away as the pads wear down ? Can this harm the rotor, caliper housing ?

have the Caliper bolt at about 20 ft/lb... not sure on pad pins... snug to tight...

Any suggestions ? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM

wow

I just did mine as well , and I didnt notice a problem like that at all . Only thing i got is , are you sure you got the piston all the way retracted into the caliper ? I might start over and double check that , but thats all I got .

Four wheels might move the body , but two wheels move the soul
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM

HOT is not good. I had similiar problem, my bolt wasn't threading all the way in, had to retap the caliper. This not seating right caused celiper not to center on rotor, pads rubbed rotor, friction = heat...so hot after 3 mile run you could not touch.

Not saying this is your problem, but if your caliper gets hot, recheck your work. May want to tear down and redo..Pay attention too cleaning the pins and proper lubing. A little drag after first installing is fine, first run and the pistons will adjust, drag continuing after this means something is wrong.

2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
2005 VTX 1300C (Gone May 2010)
2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
Various years, makes, and colors of 50-850cc bikes since 1967
BLACK - The FASTER color.
PGR Member
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 PM

DavidV-SoGA: How many miles on yer scooter ?

Often with wear the piston travel is moving out the bore due to pad wear. You instal the new pads with the piston in,but,as you use the brakes,the piston encounters the area in the bore that isnt as smooth and tends to "hang" up rather than return and thereby allowing the pads to "drag" causing heat.Also,the old pads were worn down not only at the surface ,but,also at the edges and with the rotor and the old pads being "buddies" for so long,the new pads may just be "hung" in that edge area.I always take my grinder and "dress" the pad edge in an bevel just to prevent this.Good luck !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

You need to take that caliper off, clean it up good and grease the pad pin. Seems that caliper is pretty dirty and is not retracting after the brakes are let off

AMA Life Member 721314
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 PM

test

Author: Chicago-Spike

2011 HD RGU (Sweeeeet), Rineharts (true dual), Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Stage 1 intake
2003 VTX 1800C, Kuryakyn H-Charger, PCIII, V&H Bigshots (where'd the baffles go), backrest, and Arlen Ness Mirrors. (Gone Mar 2012)
PGR Member
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks and a bit more info

thanks all ... will re-do...tomorrow

I could not get the rear caliper completely off... will have to find some step x step as I found with fronts...

In Spikes pic step by step... the 1800 C 2003 doesn't have but one flange bolt... upper towards front of caliper and the one pin... or at least that's what I saw...

someone above did state their bolt binding while trying to line up... seems I had a similar case... I did get it to thread...

So maybe it's just in a bind due to that and not greasing etc...

I had it on a lift jack when I removed it and I was wondering if this might have had something to do with everything lining up properly ???

Oh well...I'll find some step by step and try again...

Greatly appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Spike

Your best bet is listening to Spike , his advice has never let me down yet .

Four wheels might move the body , but two wheels move the soul
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidV-SoGA View Post
thanks all ... will re-do...tomorrow

I could not get the rear caliper completely off... will have to find some step x step as I found with fronts...

In Spikes pic step by step... the 1800 C 2003 doesn't have but one flange bolt... upper towards front of caliper and the one pin... or at least that's what I saw...

someone above did state their bolt binding while trying to line up... seems I had a similar case... I did get it to thread...

So maybe it's just in a bind due to that and not greasing etc...

I had it on a lift jack when I removed it and I was wondering if this might have had something to do with everything lining up properly ???

Oh well...I'll find some step by step and try again...

Greatly appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions...

That be me..The threads were crossthreaded in the caliper. This was first brake job since factory, assume it happened on the line. When I took it apart, noticed it took a ratchet to unthread completely, just assume dirty ath the time. I also was able to get it to "thread" when reinstalling, but really tight to thread..Borrowed tap and die from local autozone, retapped threads, went back together much easier.

PGR Member
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:54 PM

Your caliper piston is cocked sideways and binding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page