how often should thermostat be replaced - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

how often should thermostat be replaced

how often should the thermostat be replaced on the vtx1800. im changing my antifreeze on my 2003 and thought i would change it as well as far as i know it has never been replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM

I've be driving since 1967 and have owned too many cars and motorcycles to count. Two or three years ago I calculated that I have driven close 1.25 million miles over my life time. Most of that in high mileage old vehicles. My Suburban, that I bought new in 1994, has about 265,000 and accounts for about 20% of my 1.25 million miles and still has the original thermostat.

In all those vehicles and all those miles I have had to replace 1 thermostat and that was in a 1964, drop top, 4 on the floor, alumimum block V-6 Buick Special with 120,000 miles on that I bought for $300 and drove the snot out of for 4 years and put on about 75,000. Even then I am not sure the thermostat needed replacing but the guy at the autoparts store told me I should since I was replacing the water pump so I did .

So guess the anwser is change the thermostat once every 1.25 million miles or every 44 years or if it breaks. But I don't see it as a preventative maintenance issue.

According to the official Honda Service Manual, under normal conditions your coolant should be changed every 2 years. More often if you live in either the Death Valley or International Falls, MN. The same recomendation is made for brake and clutch fluid. I do mine about every other year and it takes me about two hours. The biggest pain is pumping out the brake fluid and bleeding in the correct order.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXCRZR View Post
I've be driving since 1967 and have owned too many cars and motorcycles to count. Two or three years ago I calculated that I have driven close 1.25 million miles over my life time. Most of that in high mileage old vehicles. My Suburban, that I bought new in 1994, has about 265,000 and accounts for about 20% of my 1.25 million miles.

In all those vehicles and all those miles I have had to replace 1 thermostat and that was in a 1964, drop top, 4 on the floor, alumimum block V-6 Buick Special with 120,000 miles on that I bought for $300 and drove the snot out of for 4 years and put on about 75,000. Even then I am not sure the thermostat needed replacing but the guy at the autoparts store told me I should since I was replacing the water pump so I did .

So guess the anwser is change the thermostat once every 1.25 million miles or every 44 years or if it breaks. But I don't see it as a preventative maintenance issue.

According to the official Honda Service Manual, under normal conditions your coolant should be changed every 2 years. More often if you live in either the Death Valley or International Falls, MN. The same recomendation is made for brake and clutch fluid. I do mine about every other year and it takes me about two hours. The biggest pain is pumping out the brake fluid and bleeding in the correct order.
Only 1 thermostat in all those miles and all those vehicles ?
WOW.... that's so unlike reality
I have owned vehicles and been driving since 1975.
My experience has been that thermostasts give out over time not mileage.
In general they start to give out after about 4-5 years service or around the same time the service life of the first or any battery goes south.
I change the coolant when I change the thermostat.

"Two-thirds of all quotes found on the internet are, more or less, complete bullsh*t". - Abraham Lincoln
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 PM

It should be replaced when/if it stops working.

Great Lakes Road Riders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2002 1800S2, Cobra Fatty Highway Bars, Memphis Shades, LeatherLykes, Honda Light Bar, Honda Deluxe Backrest and Luggage Rack, Ultimate Big Boy Seats, Rostra Electonic Cruise Control w/ switch housing by cybrhick, HID Headlight by NDAna.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toboggan View Post
It should be replaced when/if it stops working.

That's my vote...is there anything in the manual saying to replace? Don't think so...

Bull
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Ok I have had a drivers license for 33 years and I have only changed one thermostat in one vehicle in all those years. My 03 VTX 1800 has 38,000 miles on it and I am not planning to change the thermostat unless it fails? Why would you? I keep up on my maintenance changed coolant and oil and brake fluid final drive oil etc., but why would i change parts that aren't worn out or in need of changing?

03 VTX 1800S Illusion Blue Ultimate X Big Boy GYTT 205/65-15 Darkside and Loving it!

[IMG][/IMG]
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 AM

If it's not broken don't fix it

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Maybe alot are broken and we do not know what are the signs if it stuck in a open position?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse17 View Post
Maybe alot are broken and we do not know what are the signs if it stuck in a open position?
Takes a long time to warm up.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo1970
Varies.

Ive replaced the Thermostat in a 1972 Big Block Olds after 36 years and 180k miles.

Ive replaced the thermostat in my POS Chevy Tahoe Z71 after 4 years and 60k miles.

Depends on the thermostat itself.

You can get good ones. You can buy brand new ones that dont work.

Easiest to test them with a pot of boiling water on the stove. Dip it in boiling water for about 30 seconds... pull it out, and see if its open.

-Gonz

Harley Owners Need Dependable Alternatives
"Dear Fox News: I am writing today to request that you add a laugh track to your coverage to properly identify it for the comedy that it is.
Also, clown noses for the reporters would be nice."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page