Vtx tuning - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Vtx tuning

I just got my vtx and I am still learing about it. I see alot of talk about gas mileage but the question I have is how far will the reserve carry you? I can fill up and get about 100 miles before the fuel light comes on. I start looking gas right then. I would hate to get caught short it's to big to push. My bike don't seem to be real good on fuel mileage. But it does have a power commander, hypercharger and hard krome Xcellerator slip on. I may to change the tuning. I live on the east coast and I can't find the map I need on the power commander page. Any ideas. I posted this on the general board also just incase someone on that board could help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2butterbeans View Post
I just got my vtx and I am still learing about it. I see alot of talk about gas mileage but the question I have is how far will the reserve carry you? I can fill up and get about 100 miles before the fuel light comes on. I start looking gas right then. I would hate to get caught short it's to big to push. My bike don't seem to be real good on fuel mileage. But it does have a power commander, hypercharger and hard krome Xcellerator slip on. I may to change the tuning. I live on the east coast and I can't find the map I need on the power commander page. Any ideas. I posted this on the general board also just incase someone on that board could help. Thanks
Disconnect the Power Commander and see how the bike runs.

M STAR KMA
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Reserve should be about 1 gallon, so if you have to guess on the safe side, 20 miles. Only way to know for sure is to go out for a ride, note when the fuellight comes on and ride until the bike dies. Have a chase car follow with a can of gas to get you going again. Sorry , but there is no definate mileage answer. It;s different from tank to tank.

You won;t find any free maps made for maximum mileage. All those free maps are more likely for maximum power, or gas guzzling. You'll have to find a tuner and have them make a map for you.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Spike is right

Spike is right like usual. Most of the posted maps are for max HP. If your in a bind while waiting for tuning time or the money. I found the Dynojet maps to be pretty conservative.

I get a reliable 40 mpg using a near clone to a standard Dynojet map. I just had a quick dyno run (I was going to do it all, but we had a scheduling issue and I got bumped). What I did get from my limited run was a good air fuel map under load and it showed the Dynojet map to be pretty conservative (14.5 to 15:1) at cruise. Of course this is just one map, but you can learn a lot by using the map compare feature in the PC software app. Better being a little safe than going out in a leaned out blaze of glory, or an imitation of a turn of century locomotive.

The butt meter is not a great guide for tuning, unless your fixing an idle or decel pop/

Just a guy named Dan reliving his childhood on a 800 lb Gorilla Bike!
2008 VTX 1800 F, VH Bigshots with Big City Thunder Baffles, Thunder Hurricane, PCIII, Desmog, ISO Grips w Throttle Boss, Mustang Seats, Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guards w Silver Bullet Driving Lights, MTC Clutch, Dual AEM Wideband AF Meters, WOLO Horn, Rostra Electronic Cruise Control.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I use a map for commuting from Bare's site from a guy named Leon. I get 38-39 mpg. I use Johnny Cheese's for fun, which makes my bike run like a monster but drops mpg to high 20's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]'05 1800C3 V&H Bigshots, Baron's Big Air Kit, Desmog, Swtchblade shield, Honda Bags & Darksider on a Michelin HE 205/65/16
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Hey Shemp

Shemp it looks like your pretty close to my current setup. I use the 002 from Dynojet with the idle fattened up for popping. I dynoed an easy 90 SAE whp while getting 40 mpg. I do like to swap out the cruise map for a hard run map. Maybe I will get the add-on box and the manual map switch for the PCIII. are you using Johnny Cheese's "hinote" map....ever dyno it? Just curious.

Just a guy named Dan reliving his childhood on a 800 lb Gorilla Bike!
2008 VTX 1800 F, VH Bigshots with Big City Thunder Baffles, Thunder Hurricane, PCIII, Desmog, ISO Grips w Throttle Boss, Mustang Seats, Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guards w Silver Bullet Driving Lights, MTC Clutch, Dual AEM Wideband AF Meters, WOLO Horn, Rostra Electronic Cruise Control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page