1800R Bagger Build - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

1800R Bagger Build

Although I joined the forum back in July of 2011, I never formally introduced myself nor have I never had Spike's classic Welcome Aboard post . I laid pretty low and read and read and read. I finally decided to start a build thread and figured I would combine a little back story to make up for not taking a lot of pictures along the way

I took my Motorcycle Safety Course in 2007, never having ridden before and shortly after, inherited a 2003 VTX1800R after my father (the first and previous owner) decided to buy a Road King Classic. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do as this was a heavy beast without a lot of power. I am 6'7" so I do not have the same amount of options as most when it comes to fitting comfortably on a bike. I toyed around with selling it, and picking up a Shadow or maybe downgrading to a 1300, or even picking up a Fury. Due to space constrictions, I couldn't house 2 bikes. I was in a predicament needless to say.

After reading countless discussions of VTX 1800 vs 1300 threads, I decided to just stick with it. I babied it in parking lots for a while and my buddy set up cone drills with me until I felt comfortable to take it out. Once I got that rhinoceros out on 211 (the road that leads 50 miles into Skyline Drive) I was hooked and was glad I made the decision to keep it.

Like most I became obsessed, with how I could make this bike more for me and my style. I read for hours upon hours. I found myself entrenched in dramatic filled posts back from 2004 about 6*trees and rake and trail numbers at 3 a.m. I found dumbcomputers build thread and read it all. DC's build really was the catalyst to opening my eyes to modifying the X. For that I thank him and hate him equally.

Along the way, there have been so many other's bike I have admired, each bringing their own level of creativity and personalization. As much as I have enjoyed peoples stories and build threads, I have finally decided to start documenting some of my own progress.

I know everyone here loves pics so I apologize in advance for not having more. I will begin posting more as I hunt them down and accumulate them.

[HR][/HR]2003 VTX 1800 R - Ground Fix, Pair Valve Removal (Desmog), Accutronix "Night Series" FC & Grips, 12 inch CP Choppah Series TBars, Arnott Air Ride, Spiegler SS Brake Brake & Clutch Lines, Barnett Throttle Cables, MetricBagger Bags
My Build Thread: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...R-Bagger-Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Those Bars Have to Go

After riding for a while, I realized the stock set up for the Retro was uncomfortable, especially for being a 6'7" freak of nature. Between the floorboards raising my knees over the tank and the beach bars pulling back too far for me and colliding with my knees, I needed to swap some things out. I trailered the bike down to my buddies garage so we could start modding.

Here are a couple of shots of the bike as I received it, pretty much stock with detachable windshield and hondaline passenger seat, sissy bar and backrest.

IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg Stock Side.jpg

[HR][/HR]2003 VTX 1800 R - Ground Fix, Pair Valve Removal (Desmog), Accutronix "Night Series" FC & Grips, 12 inch CP Choppah Series TBars, Arnott Air Ride, Spiegler SS Brake Brake & Clutch Lines, Barnett Throttle Cables, MetricBagger Bags
post #3 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

Welcome and you made the right choice to keep and mod an 1800R. What are the overall plans for your bagger?

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #4 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 PM

I especially like the red carpet approach to the air operated hoist

Why is common sense not so common

Why doesn't P.E.T.A. ever attack a biker
post #5 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon's1800VTXC View Post
I especially like the red carpet approach to the air operated hoist
Only the best for the VTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
Welcome and you made the right choice to keep and mod an 1800R. What are the overall plans for your bagger?
Initially, I really thought I was going with a 240 set up. I had everything priced out and about to pull the trigger, when I decided to go in a different direction. I will be updating with pictures of some of the things I have already done, but to answer your question... for the rear end I am going with MetricBagger. http://metricbagger.com/

I am following 1badta95's lead on this. (Thanks so much Marty for all the insight)

I may split this into two build stages, but for now the plan for stage one is:
  • Cruiser Performance 12" T Bars
  • Spiegler SS Brake Kit
  • Barnett Clutch Cable
  • Accutronix Night Series Forward Controls, Grips, and Passenger Pegs
  • Metric Bagger one piece rear fender and bags
  • Arnott Air Ride
  • Paint Engine Black
  • Powder Coat Stock Wheels
  • Black Out a bunch of stuff
  • BD's Paint Job

When I sold my kidney on the black market, I only got enough to be able to afford this much.

post #6 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM

post #7 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Can of Worms

I removed the stock handlebars and riser off my VTX excited to slap on the powder coated black Cruiser Performance Choppah T bars I had ordered. I debated the black versus chrome for a while and decided that my X was too fast and I needed to slow it down by adding black to it. I went with a 12 inch rise based on taking measurements using a closet dowel and sitting on my bike to find the comfortable height and pullback desired for me.

I rolled the dice and thought I "might" be able to use the stock brake lines but alas, my new bars spawned a violent downhill battle of money I was about to spend. Little did I know these $200 bars would turn into a $1500 project quickly. The stock lines came up a bit short. Off to research lines.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't take as many photos as I wish I had, but I was able to find a set of chrome ones on the interwebz to depict and I have a side shot of them on as I got ready to trailer my bike back home. I am just glad I scored these bars, almost hassle free before CP imploded.

Choppah Bars.jpg CP Bars.jpg

post #8 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHip View Post
Hey DJ, I see your as eloquent as ever.

BTW: I like your seat. What is it?

2003 VTX 1800R

Ya know, I think we're all Bozo's on this bus.
post #9 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM

Garage
Love this thread so far. I, like you, found that this site has allowed my dreams to be a blessing and a curse... the money flows quickly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2002 VTX1800S
Performance module, HID's, Vance & Hines pipes, Ultimate X seat, Progressive HD shocks, custom Hulk speedometer, and chrome accents galore.
post #10 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

While I'm At It

So while researching the cost of longer brake lines, I found out the great news about VTX 1800 brakes. I was overwhelmed with joy about replacing the whole brake line kit. Hey since I am about to drop $400+ on some Spieglers (brake line kit and clutch line), I figured lets grab some forward controls while the money tree was spitting out money.

Tossing back and forth between Accutronix and Supreme Legends, I stumbled across the Accutronix "Night Series" set which had FC's, Grips, and matching passenger pegs. The night series are black anodized and machined with an aluminum finish.

Through research, I cyber stalked Troonsouth, but he only dealt with 1300's.

Hmmm, 1300's don't have to deal with brake line kits, get better deals on FC's and have the single pin crank for better sounding exhaust? Should I have downgraded while I had the chance?!?

No I continued shopping for the best deal and scored some FC's, grips, and passenger pegs.

Night Series Grips.jpg Forward Controls.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page