Honda VTX Forum banner

Supercharging the vtx1800

202K views 865 replies 119 participants last post by  backstabber 
#1 ·
Hi My name is Richard Albans, I run TTS Performance Parts Ltd, Silverstone, England. www.tts-performance.co.uk

We specialize in supercharging bikes and cars. We have made over 70 different conversions. I have been looking at the VTX1800 for some time and I would like to ask the forum members if they would be interested in a conversion. I think we could make a really great looking kit offering 180-250whp for relatively small bucks. If there is a serious enough interest I would Sponsor the forum and set about design and manufacturing a conversion. We ship worldwide and as you can see from our website we are very professional about what we do.
Thank you for your time and I hope this hasn't broken any forum rules.

List of members showing interest:
Mowoc
baddawg-Neo
schnitz
fireproof60
NotURMailman
C-rider
MrVTX
BigNasty65
fred_04
preacherbo
New York Reaper
MikeR
TxX
Krammer
BadgerX
Frodo7075
Dartanuan

See less See more
#2 ·
When you say "little money", what does that mean?

I would always be interested in having my bike be faster - but it is a matter of how much money and how big a PITA it is to install. I won't do a big bore kit because the effort to pull the motor. A dyno jet OTOH is pretty easy. I don't think it brings much in the way of performance increase though unless you get a custom map. All in that could be 500-600 bucks.

Maybe you could give us a ball park of what you would like this to cost and how much effort it would be to put on? For me pulling the motor is a no-go. Others may differ.

#3 ·
When you say "little money", what does that mean?

I would always be interested in having my bike be faster - but it is a matter of how much money and how big a PITA it is to install. I won't do a big bore kit because the effort to pull the motor. A dyno jet OTOH is pretty easy. I don't think it brings much in the way of performance increase though unless you get a custom map. All in that could be 500-600 bucks.

Maybe you could give us a ball park of what you would like this to cost and how much effort it would be to put on? For me pulling the motor is a no-go. Others may differ.
I can see that it will easily fit on the right side of the engine, the plenum will fit in place of the stock airbox and look very similar. I think bigger injectors and a powercommander will be essential. But the bare cost of the conversion I would estimate at around £2600 ($4200). The biggest bang per buck your ever going to get and it will ride just like stock with no throttle lag. I can honestly say I can envisage the sweetest looking conversion out of all we have done in the past. It just lends itself to it so well. Check out HD.Maxi-Charger Facebook to see what we have done with the Twin Cam. The VTX is so much stronger an engine. On saying that, if anyone knows of any catastrophic weaknesses in the engine I would really like to know.

#6 ·
Magnacharger attempted this years ago and couldn't make it work. The supercharger sticks out too far and with the VTXs forward controls your right leg/knee is hitting it. Not saying yours is the same, just saying why there hasn't been one. Well, that and the fact that there are no more VTXs being made, discontinued model since 2008. Had your company been asking this 10-12 years ago, you'd have had hundreds of sales if not thousands 8)

#7 ·
Magnacharger attempted this years ago and couldn't make it work. The supercharger sticks out too far and with the VTXs forward controls your right leg/knee is hitting it. Not saying yours is the same, just saying why there hasn't been one. Well, that and the fact that there are no more VTXs being made, discontinued model since 2008. Had your company been asking this 10-12 years ago, you'd have had hundreds of sales if not thousands 8)
There are still a lot of owners out there so I hope we can sell 10's-100. I can see that our kit would not sit any further out than the exhaust system, so there would be no leg interferance and no heat over normal engine heat. The unit is also silent in operation and would only add about 10 lb to the weight of the bike.

#9 ·
You will also need to beef up the cross shaft housing. Under bikes that have been hopped up they tend to crack at the bearing retaining nut on the engine side. Once cracked the gears separate and the gears extend apart cracking the case. A new bearing carrier made from steel would be best.

#10 ·
I can see that it will easily fit on the right side of the engine, the plenum will fit in place of the stock airbox and look very similar. I think bigger injectors and a powercommander will be essential. But the bare cost of the conversion I would estimate at around £2600 ($4200). The biggest bang per buck your ever going to get and it will ride just like stock with no throttle lag. I can honestly say I can envisage the sweetest looking conversion out of all we have done in the past. It just lends itself to it so well. Check out HD.Maxi-Charger Facebook to see what we have done with the Twin Cam. The VTX is so much stronger an engine. On saying that, if anyone knows of any catastrophic weaknesses in the engine I would really like to know.

I might be up for this - nothing more fun than putting crazy stupid speed on your bike.

A few more questions -

1. $4200 is a bit, but on the edge of reasonable. I think you will want to make sure you get all stuff in there if you can. These bikes are only about 5k now with goodies. $4200 is probably never going to come back to the owner. Will the $4200 include everything or will the owner need to buy additional stuff?

2. If you have to pull the motor it will be tougher sell. I am not sure of the number, but perhaps only 20-30% here may have pulled the motor from their bike max. I would avoid that if at all possible. I am not sure how - I saw XN's post about the shaft. The clutch is no big deal. Putting a new one on is simple. Do you envision pulling the motor to install?

3. Will exhaust and other mods cause issues?

4. What will it take to get this done for you? I assume there is some sort of development? What is the time frame? I would be happy to assist if I can. I have both an 06 F as well as an 07 T model.

#11 ·
We all know it cost money to have fun.. You never get your money back but at least you have lived on the wild side :) I am 60 years old but still ride like I stole it.. I still live for speed and although I run a good business I still build stuff for the fun of it, because I can :)
I have a Supercharged Gen 2 busa that I have run 8.07 /186, a Supercharged Rocket 3 that I ran 10.0/140, just done the Twin Cam Harley and almost tripled its horsepower. My Audi S5 runs low 11's and my Supercharged Honda S2000 will run 10's. I still hold British land speed records for flying 1/4 and Kilo. You only live once and you can be run over by a bus tomorrow.
I don't know who said it but '' it is true that every man dies, but not every man lives'' I live!

The motor runs 9:1 compression. Just perfect for our supercharger. Powercommanders sort the fueling, not over the top price wise. A set of stronger clutch springs and our bolt on supercharger and you're on your way. No need to pull the motor and I think the supercharger could be fitted within 2 hrs. AND it can be taken off and returned to stock just as quickly. Resell the kit and get some money back. These bikes are worth more than the money they fetch, they are really a good bang per buck.
The way the supercharger puts the power down is very transmission friendly, so I would be surprised if there were any transmission wow's. Drag racing aside.

#13 ·
Richard the supercharger is what this bike needs. Turbos do not work due to the low RPM it read lines at.
where were you for the past 6 years:yikes:.
PS all those who doesn't know this man you have been missing out.
love the calendars:p

#15 ·
Richard the supercharger is what this bike needs. Turbos do not work due to the low RPM it read lines at.
where were you for the past 6 years:yikes:.
PS all those who doesn't know this man you have been missing out.
love the calendars:p
Yep, I would have purchased one. I went to Magnacharger and talked with them several times trying to get them to make a supercharger for the VTX.

#17 ·
Add me to the list.

#20 ·
I would need to know more details about it, but I'm pretty sure I'd be in for one! I already have a vtx with a turbo and the stock engine can take 15 lbs of boost on pump, and I've hit 28.5 lbs of boost with c16. I'd love to see what it can do with a supercharger.

#23 ·
Hi My name is Richard Albans, I run TTS Performance Parts Ltd, Silverstone, England. www.tts-performance.co.uk

We specialize in supercharging bikes and cars. We have made over 70 different conversions. I have been looking at the VTX1800 for some time and I would like to ask the forum members if they would be interested in a conversion. I think we could make a really great looking kit offering 180-250whp for relatively small bucks. If there is a serious enough interest I would Sponsor the forum and set about design and manufacturing a conversion. We ship worldwide and as you can see from our website we are very professional about what we do.
Thank you for your time and I hope this hasn't broken any forum rules.
I would love to try at a supercharger been looking for forever. I have barnett clutch so should be good there.

#25 ·
Looks like i'll have to go out and buy me one. There is only 5 advertised on Ebay.co.uk and the cheapest is $9000 for an 03. Might have to ship one in from good old USA? Please email me on richard@tts-performance.co.uk to register serious interest and what your bhp goal would be. I want to make it a straight bolt on with just injectors and pcv required so we are not shooting for dragrace power here. What is the rev limiter set at on this bike?
you guys know how good this bike is so we want to keep the reliability, power delivery is super smooth and easy on transmissions so I don't envisage any issues.

#26 ·
Looks like i'll have to go out and buy me one. There is only 5 advertised on Ebay.co.uk and the cheapest is $9000 for an 03. Might have to ship one in from good old USA? Please email me on richard@tts-performance.co.uk to register serious interest and what your bhp goal would be. I want to make it a straight bolt on with just injectors and pcv required so we are not shooting for dragrace power here. What is the rev limiter set at on this bike?
you guys know how good this bike is so we want to keep the reliability, power delivery is super smooth and easy on transmissions so I don't envisage any issues.

The bike limits around 7000 RPM (?).

I would think if you are going to do this you might want to balance performance Vs. cost. I bet the demand on this is really elastic - you could sell a lot more with a slightly cheaper model.

Also, if you were looking for a target, take the 109 and screamin chicken V Rod and any other big cruiser that can take the VTX in the quarter mile and find a way to beat them all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.