Clutch issue 03 vtx 1800 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Clutch issue 03 vtx 1800

I had my bike on blocks with the front up at an angle to replace the fork seals and install new progressive springs.
The bike sat this way for about 10
days waiting for parts etc.
The job is done (thank you SO much for the info on this board!) and lowered the bike thinking I was ready to go - started the bike and pulled in the clutch lever and there was no resistance at all.
The clutch reservoir is full and pumping it didn't help.
Is it possible an air pocket was created while the bike was an angle? Has anyone experienced this?
A favor is requested: my phone is search challenged, could some provide a link to how to bleed the clutch? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 PM

I do not think being elevated should have caused this unless there was some air in the system and worked up to the reservoir. ????

Here is a link for bleeding:
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/clut...ding-vtx-1800/

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Here's the link, pretty easy.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/clut...ding-vtx-1800/

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Yes, with the bars raised up the front end of the reservoir would have been raised and allowed air to get into the plunger area. When you pulled the lever you worked that air into the lines way up by the reservoir. Time for a good system flushing and bleed

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all! You're right Spike, now is the time for a flush and bleed if the system. Thanks again for the link guys - when I did a search for how to bleed the clutch, I had no luck on my phone.
I should have thought of Bareasschoppers as I used their info as well as info from the site to do the fork rebuild. Anyone hestitating to dyi fork seals and spring upgrade just need follow the available info and dive into it - if I can do it anyone can!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

So,vacuum bled the clutch hydraulics many times, still no clutch. I get fluid (new, clean),through but seems like doing no good whatsoever.
Should I disconnect the banjo fitting at the lower hydraulic cylinder and put some air through the line? I'm thinking there is crud in the line that won't clear out completely, keeping air in the line.
I did try tapping the banjo junction as suggested by the bareasschopper instructions but no help.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycat View Post
So,vacuum bled the clutch hydraulics many times, still no clutch. I get fluid (new, clean),through but seems like doing no good whatsoever.
Should I disconnect the banjo fitting at the lower hydraulic cylinder and put some air through the line? I'm thinking there is crud in the line that won't clear out completely, keeping air in the line.
I did try tapping the banjo junction as suggested by the bareasschopper instructions but no help.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Not the bottom banjo but the top one may solve your problem. Cover all painted surfaces that could get sprayed with brake fluid. Pull in the clutch lever then crack the banjo fitting at the master cylinder. Tighten before releasing the lever. Catch the fluid with a towel. Do this several times and see if your clutch pressure comes back.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, women and beer. I usually just waste the rest.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sojourner, I will give that a try. I'll report back with the result.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

We have clutch! Many thanks Sojourner for the advice and the rest of you for your help as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page