Molybdenum disulfide paste 60 - where to get? - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, when I lived in Minneapolis it was nothing to drive that distance, now in a small town it seems like a big deal. Everything is relative. Thanks for the reality check.

1800 C 2006, Spec 3, Silver. Desmogged. Vance & Hines Big Shots Exhaust. K&N air filter assembly #56-1080 + Duc's Intake. Honda Windshield, backrest and rack. Kuryakyn Gran Throwover bags. Quick-disconnect fuel fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 PM

I purchased my Moly 60 at a Honda motorcycle dealer. They had it behind the counter on a shelf.

I bought some kind of Moly paste at an auto parts store. It came in a cardboard type can and must have at least 12 ounces of black lubricant, which contains molybdenum. It's for disk brakes and I wonder if it is good to use on the drive splines?

I understand that the spines need to be well lubricated, but is it absolutely necessary to use the Moly 66 or 77?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post
I purchased my Moly 60 at a Honda motorcycle dealer. They had it behind the counter on a shelf.

I bought some kind of Moly paste at an auto parts store. It came in a cardboard type can and must have at least 12 ounces of black lubricant, which contains molybdenum. It's for disk brakes and I wonder if it is good to use on the drive splines?

I understand that the spines need to be well lubricated, but is it absolutely necessary to use the Moly 66 or 77?
"Absolutely necessary" ? I don't know. Personally I would stick with the Honda 60 or 77. You can buy it
here on amazon here on amazon
for $17, or from ebay for a dollar more.

2003 VTX 1800R3

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Based on many VTXOA threads, Bareass Choppers site, and my Repair Manual, I would only use Honda moly paste 77 (or 60 if I already had it). I did buy it earlier today on eBay.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/whee...rear-tire-vtx/

1800 C 2006, Spec 3, Silver. Desmogged. Vance & Hines Big Shots Exhaust. K&N air filter assembly #56-1080 + Duc's Intake. Honda Windshield, backrest and rack. Kuryakyn Gran Throwover bags. Quick-disconnect fuel fittings.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM

I once had a tire changed by my favorite indy. I dropped off the wheel and when I picked it up he had a piece of plastic and an elastic band covering the splines. He had put some red synthetic grease on the spines. He proceded to tell me how important it was to make sure the splines were lubed and that this was the good stuff. Well I had already purchased a tube of the moly paste so when I got the wheel home, off came the grease and on went the moly paste. It is such a small amount of money, overall, why not just use the right stuff? I know, when they designed the bike, there were fine high pressure and tacky synthetic greases available, and yet Honda chose the moly paste. And not just any moly paste but 60% moly. Makes sense to me that Moly 60 is what one should use. It simply isn't worth the expense and hassle if you guessed wrong.

I also always put a light coating on the axle before re-installing. The first time I took the axle out it had some very minor corrosion on it. After that I always put a very light coat on it and never saw any corrosion again.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits

Last edited by Harkon; 04-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Moly is one of, if not the best,"barrier" lubricants. Preventing spline to spline contact in high load apps..

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post

No it is not absolutely necessary! However it might be the best at lubrication or more I think it is sticky enough to not get thrown off the spinning gears.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quoted from Michael at Bareass Choppers;

"This is a controversial subject among many riders who change their own tires… Honda recommends the moly paste for this application but lots of guys use moly “grease” instead because it’s cheaper and more readily available. The problem is that moly grease does not have nearly the moly content that the paste does and therefore does not offer the same level of protection. The grease can be slung off the wheel under extreme conditions (think how fast that hub spins!) leaving you without the protection you need. These splines see a lot of abuse so I wouldn’t cut corners on something trivial like this. One tube of moly paste will last several tire changes. It’s sad to say that I’ve even seen Honda dealerships that use the grease out of convenience as well – this is just one more incentive to do your own work! Consider this information and if you’re still unsure then read this link (bottom right corner in particular) and then don’t be shy about putting moly paste on both sets of splines (hub and wheel)."

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram,
on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!

Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
I also always put a light coating on the axle before re-installing. The first time I took the axle out it had some very minor corrosion on it. After that I always put a very light coat on it and never saw any corrosion again.
The first time I put tires on at 9k miles, shortly after buying it from the original owner, the axle was siezed with rust - it was very extremely difficult to remove the axle - PBBlaster and pounding all afternoon on it. Flange bearings were also gone - rust, and I live in a near-zero humidity area. P O must have used the pressure washer on that part of the bike quite a bit and apparently Honda didn't put grease or moly on the axle when it was assembled. Now when I moly the splines, I also put a thin coat on the axle, makes it real easy to get out next time. Also, I never pressure wash the rear wheel

2003 VTX 1800R3
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM

Here is a good read on moly spline lube and why you should do it yourself.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Shaft.html

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page