2002 1800C front fork question - VTXOA
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

2002 1800C front fork question

Hi, I removed my front wheel thismorning to replace the front tire.
I put the wheel shaft back in to the holes to keep it safe and off the ground and found that the shaft holes are out of alignment by quite a bit. I measured the space between the bottom of the Outer pipe and the top of the Fork slider and there is a difference of .23" (almost 1/4" )
I measured the top of the fork and the tripple clamf and they are pretty close, nothing that concerns me.
So, my question is 1. what has caused this and 2. can I temporarily raise one of the forks to bring the holes in to line, I understand the the difference in the lenght of the two forks wont be the same but atleast the holes will line up? Please, any help would be appreciated.
Britguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britguy View Post
Hi, I removed my front wheel thismorning to replace the front tire.
I put the wheel shaft back in to the holes to keep it safe and off the ground and found that the shaft holes are out of alignment by quite a bit. I measured the space between the bottom of the Outer pipe and the top of the Fork slider and there is a difference of .23" (almost 1/4" )
I measured the top of the fork and the tripple clamf and they are pretty close, nothing that concerns me.
So, my question is 1. what has caused this and 2. can I temporarily raise one of the forks to bring the holes in to line, I understand the the difference in the lenght of the two forks wont be the same but atleast the holes will line up? Please, any help would be appreciated.
Britguy
That's normal, assuming no one has messed with the damper rods and they are functioning normally.

1: 2 different functions for each fork, one controls up, the other down.
2: Yup. I just put a little pressure on it, attempting to compress the fork a bit. Be sure to block the rear wheel well if it's on a jack.

2005 VTX1800C1 Flaming Red!

Want AMSOIL? PM ME! (Local P/U)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 PM

You can adjust it so the axle lines up properly. A little time consuming,but worth it.
Page down to 'Finishing Up'
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/susp...ment-vtx-1800/

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Normal, one leg is sprung for compression the other extension. So one will pull up and one push down. Once the axle is in and seated properly the forks act as one solid unit

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Normal, one leg is sprung for compression the other extension. So one will pull up and one push down. Once the axle is in and seated properly the forks act as one solid unit
This has been the common thought thought the years, and it's been wrong every time. Vtx like a few Honda models have a dampening fork and a slave, on the x the on with the bolt in the bottom holds the dampening rod. Only one fork has one. The other leg is a slave.

The fork with the bottom bolt through the lower leg that holds the one and only dampening rod in, also has the compression dampener and the rebound dampener inside, specifically compression is at the top, rebound is at the bottom.

Also when assembling, you should adjust not only fork length but also set the preload of the springs equally. I had my dampening rod apart in 2006 and 2 years ago.

While it is normal on the vtx to see this, it still is not correct.
easyrider2020 and V2Neal like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Well, when you see it like that on the assembly line at the Honda plant and talk to the engineers about it, then I go with that

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Well, when you see it like that on the assembly line at the Honda plant and talk to the engineers about it, then I go with that
I saw it in my hand spike, along with anyone that installed a race tech valve, but hey if you got a plant tour that makes you really well informed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM

If I am not mistaken, what big bad is saying jives with the Honda Technical Service Manual. One fork has only a forkseal, slider, spring, oil and some air for added springiness.
The other has all the shock absorbing stuff for both compression and rebound. I *think* this is the left one.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Yes. The left one is more complicated than the right. Just had my springs and fluid changed with help and guidance by Chuck_VTX_F and Ironmk 2 weeks ago.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM

Lightbulb Truth

Yes it is true but spike would rather repeat what has been long thought as true, rather than take a look at it mechanically and learn something different. The world was once thought flat, to say it was round was ludacris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page