Honda VTX Forum banner

Fuel module help vtx 1800r 2003

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Al Ruzzano 
#1 ·
Hello I'm running a cobra fuel injection module fi2000 and also Vance and Hines big shots. I am wondering if my settings are off because I'm. Not getting a lot of sound out of them like I thought I would. I don't n own if adjusting the settings would make it louder or not or do I just debaffle the exhaust. I don't think de baffling is a good idea because of back pressure but I'm not sure. And insight would be great. If anyone is running the same set up I would greatly appreciate your settings.

#2 ·
No, changing the efi settings will have nothing to do with the sound coming out of the pipes. Try changing the baffles out of the V&H pipes to the Standard baffles. R models come with their "Quiet" baffles which really aren't that much quieter than the loud V&H pipes with the Standard baffs. If you are looking for a Harley sound, stop now. The 1800 will never sound like that. That sound comes from the engine. The VTX will sound like a NASCAR race car always

#4 ·
If they are the quiet you can only push a stick into the pipe for about 9 inches. Standards have no back plate and you can get it all the way to the bend. Removing the baffs will kill your torque. That power you feel trying to rip the handlebars out of your hands. Removing either the quiet or standard baffs will not make it that much louder. Just changes the exhaust note. Standard has loud and tinny. Quiet deepens the note some and takes the tin sound out. No baffs blatty and farty sound

#5 · (Edited)
I have a similar setup (PCIII). My bike came with no baffles on the V&H. It is kind of loud. Looking at baffles, yet do not want to remove heat shields as they are spot welded on due to rattles.
I do need bike quieter an some back pressure would be a bonus. Remove baffles an see how you like.
My bike is setup to boogie, runs great, an has a wicked cadence.
I would leave baffles in if I had them..

#6 ·
Mine also has the pc3 with V&H with the quiet baffle. They're sort of quiet at idle but make plenty of noise when getting on it, definitely not tinny sounding or even harley sounding, sound is more like a 69' Cobra Jet. Has loads of torque and power, and 40mpg has always been typical mileage when I check it.

#8 ·
Spike, generally, will changing to "quiet" baffles give the engine more exhaust back pressure, and finally, more torque? Or, generally, are all the "properly installed" baffles designed to provide the same back pressure?

#9 ·
If you do have quiet baffles, what you wrap the baffles with can make a difference in tone as well. Personally the quiet baffles will give better bottom end, the normal baffles should see a bit more power in the very upper range, no baffles will never see a benefit until you get way up there in RPM. What you wrap the baffles with will make a difference in the tone and may be a bit louder than wrapping with fiberglass exhaust wrap. Some have tried fiberglass cloth, or fireplace cord. I always wanted to try fireplace cord but never got around to it. If you take 3/8" fireplace cord and wrap it, the sound deadening properties of the wrap ar significantly less than the fluffy exhaust wrap one would normally use. Just be aware that with those pipes, louder is also tinnier (is that even a word?). It will start to sound blatty for lack of a better description. IMO V&H quite baffles were the best sounding. No baffles sounded like crap! But it was loud.

#14 ·
I didn't even know what "Blatty" was, until I modified my OEM pipes and removed the baffles. Learned very quickly what that term referred to, and interestingly enough, there's no better word to describe that sound. Finally got to the point I didn't like that sound, and now run Cobra Slash-Cuts. Love the sound and tone,,, and no more BLATT. As everyone has already said though, if you are looking for that "Harley" sound, then you are wasting your money & time.
Have fun experimenting. You'll find something that works for you.

#15 ·
Update guys. I had the quiet baffles in place that was the reason for the low muffled deep sound I was getting. Took the fiberglass cloth off and drilled a hole through the solid part of the baffle and now it's sounding like I imagined it would. Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.