Difficulty Keeping Steady Speed In 1st gear - Page 2 - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abandoned View Post

....Can you please inform me on why not let the engine lug? What are the consequences?
Lugging the 1800 can result in catastrophic damage to the engine....
One other thing, the idle needs to stay up to 900 rpm or slightly higher to insure proper engine oil circulation. If you've seen guys with other big V-twins lowering the rpm so low the bike shakes, you don't want to do that with this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abandoned View Post
....Secondly, on flat ground what speed is too low to enter fifth gear?
I don't have a tacometer but am considering getting one.
I would not try using 5th gear below 50mph. On the highway I usually shift into 5th at 70 mph.
chkmte77 likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Lugging the 1800 can result in catastrophic damage to the engine....
One other thing, the idle needs to stay up to 900 rpm or slightly higher to insure proper engine oil circulation. If you've seen guys with other big V-twins lowering the rpm so low the bike shakes, you don't want to do that with this bike.

I would not try using 5th gear below 50mph. On the highway I usually shift into 5th at 70 mph.
Thanks so much. I don't have a tacometer so I can't know exactly the rpm's. I can tell when the rpm's are running a bit low, but I never let it shake.

That's great to know now. So basically running higher RPM's is always better/safer. Got it. I usually switch into 5th gear around 55-60MPH.
Thank you for all this helpful info.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM

You'll get the "feel" of it before long.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
Lugging the engine in any gear can cause detonation in the combustion chamber(s). If lugged too much it can cause premature engine failure/wear. Once in q while its ok, just try not to grandma around and make it a habit.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

OK i did some further testing and even when I am in neutral, holding the throttle VERY steady... it still does the jumping up/forward in RPM's like I described when riding in first, and it does it some in second too. As if I'm pulling the throttle further back and then releasing it.
It does not do this in higher gears.

Maybe this could be the surging issue that can happen with the ground problem not fixed? (I haven't had time to check it out yet on my bike to see if it has had this done or not).
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:42 AM

This is normal for this bike, but it is curable. The first thing you will want to do (this one is free to you but takes a bit of time) is the ground fix. Make sure all of the grounds are clean and solid. Make sure the battery terminals are tight. Put some dielectric grease on the grounds after they are done to keep the elements out. This can help the situation a lot.

Fueling on the VTX 1800 is not that good at the throttle opening you are experiencing this at. It's clear Honda never thought much riding would be done there, but as you no doubt know, sometimes you just have to. Someone had mentioned a CheapShot, Cobra has the FI2000 and there are others. If you richen up the fueling at the low end, this problem is mostly masked. It amazed me how well this worked to smooth the condition out. It would appear that the bike is a bit lean at that throttle opening. This can be made even worse with increased air flow introduced by an intake and exhaust.

As you have no doubt red here, a fuel manager is not absolutely necessary, but it can help to smooth things out a bit.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 02:21 PM

This doesn't sound normal to me... I would go get it checked out. Best case scenario, it's a quick and cheap fix. Worst case scenario, this indicates a problem that can be dangerous.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much @Harkon . Helpful post.

Hmmmmm... 2 opposing views, what's a guy to do? And I don't mean that in a condescending way. I have 2 choices at this point... ignore it and just get past this issue by driving it in a way that avoids this issue when possible, or pay the Honda Service Center a minimum of $200 JUST to check it out and potentially another few bulls to fix it. I want to try and do it myself but if I mess up and can't get it done or put back together right then I'm a a creek, and I also really don't have the time to do the ground fix and other items myself, especially since I have no experience. Everything works fine on the bike, maybe it's not worth the investment since most say this is normal.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:39 PM

I would recommend that you do the ground fix. It only takes an hour, maybe two for even for the most severely mechinacally challenged. I did mine for the first time this summer following the step by step instructions from bareass and it was easy to do. He even lists the tools you need so you can gather them in advance. All VTX 1800's need the ground fix done and this, along with tightening your battery terminals while you have the seat off, cures many many minor issues such as the one you are experiencing.
SeaSteve, chkmte77 and Star Gazer like this.

2003 VTX 1800R3
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM

you got a bike that got only 15K miles in going on 14 years
by No means anything wrong with that
it's a hell of a bike it just needs a Little love
: check clean all vital electrical connections
i would just clean the plugs and put them back in they should be fine for a long time
run some sea foam through it for few fillups
check / replace vacuum lines
look for loose hose clamps e.t.c.
maybe a new fuel filter fuel pressure regulator .
i think more you ride it more it's going to come to life
Star Gazer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page