Cobra pipes too loud - Page 2 - VTXOA
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yesterday the temp was in the upper 80's, have ridden about 200 miles since getting the new pipes. Actually I am now really enjoying them with ear plugs. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
nate6966 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:00 PM

I have Cobra American Straights. Love the rumble and only super loud on hard acceleration.
Love the multiple comments on people IN FRONT of you hearing you coming while others deny that's possible
Loud pipes STILL save lives ....

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
Cobra has some baffles that have re-direction and back pressure to reduce level.
http://www.cobrausa.com/inside_cobra...vable_baffles/

Another perforated screen as an addon could reduce sound level at the aft end internal from the reduced ID
to where it goes to a larger ID. The sink strainer mod...

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 178,645 miles of smiles

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Hans, I called Cobra about those baffles. My pipes have an I.D. of 2-1/8" and those baffles will not fit, unfortunately. I'm just going to leave it as it is and enjoy the sound via my ear plugs. Love the look of those pipes!!!

WNGD, you are right, I can already tell that my presence in better known by other drivers because of the sound, very comforting.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 PM

How does the "loud pipes save lives" thinking continue to propagate??? The guy that turned in front of you didn't hear your pipes. The guy that ran the red light didn't hear your pipes. I like loud pipes. My stock 1300's are drilled but it is for good sound. NOT saving my life.
Harkon likes this.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Cobra has some baffles that have re-direction and back pressure to reduce level.
http://www.cobrausa.com/inside_cobra...vable_baffles/

Another perforated screen as an addon could reduce sound level at the aft end internal from the reduced ID
to where it goes to a larger ID. The sink strainer mod...

Hans, I tried the 'shower strainer mod' a couple of years ago. It did seem to slightly reduce the decibel level, but it also must have raised the temperature level of the exhaust pipe. I attribute the extra heat to slightly bubbling the paint on the lower edge of the side cover. I removed the strainer and have seen no further paint damage. I wonder if the quiet baffles would have the same result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CheapSkate 6.jpg (328.3 KB, 15 views)

Red '04 1300C, Corbin DT, Hondaline WS, 1300R bars w/TM risers, Cobra Slashdowns, Foot's Mod, buffed wheels, Progressive fork springs, PaPa's Down Under bracket ....
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 AM

Garage
The sink strainer may have produced too much back pressure holding heat in the pipe.
The strainer holes are on one surface whereas the quiet baffle has multiple holes in the pipe spaced around the circumference. It flows more exhaust than a small sink strainer more than likely.
I had some blistering on my side cover from being too close to exh pipe.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 178,645 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 02-13-2017 at 12:27 AM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 PM

The 1800 engine is loud. I tried all types of mods to baffles in my V&H before finally paying for the "quiet baffles". They worked. I was going to get rid of the bike if I couldn't quiet it.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
How does the "loud pipes save lives" thinking continue to propagate??? The guy that turned in front of you didn't hear your pipes. The guy that ran the red light didn't hear your pipes. I like loud pipes. My stock 1300's are drilled but it is for good sound. NOT saving my life.
"I figure worth it so others can hear me. I can be approaching a walker and they will stop and turn around to look at me. Young cows run to their mommas. Buzzards fly up off the ground and make me shirt my pants."

Of course there's no guarantee but it's not hard to understand. People and cars you are APPROACHING hear and notice you. That doesn't mean some kid with his car stereo cranked up or a pedestrians wearing headphones set at ear bleed or the driver running a red light or the girl busy texting will.....but some will. People who think pipe sound only travels backwards must think you can't hear me yelling if I face away from you

"Loud pipes save lives" seems to get panties in a knot from people who are really just saying they don't like loud pipes and that's a fair position if they annoy you or others. But they DO get noticed in many situation where they keep you safer and occasionally SAVE LIVES.

And no it doesn't negate the need for riding and evasive maneuvering skills.

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM

I still don't believe it. I would argue that the loudest pipes aggravate people and possibly even endanger, but whatever helps you sleep nights. I do not dislike loud pipes, to a point. I purchased aftermarket pipes entirely to enhance the sound. Extremely loud pipes and the noise they make has necessitated (well necessitated is arguable for sure) the legislation against loud pipes. It's at the point where our very freedoms as motorcyclists are in jeopardy because of the "loud pipes saves lives" and the "louder is better" camps.

Difference of opinion will always be present on this issue, but what will happen is that legislation will continue to march against noise created by our bikes. I'm not saying that one should not enhance the sound of their bikes, but I encourage people to consider the downside of becoming obnoxious about it.

It's funny how people who have no appreciation of how our cars, truck or motorcycles sound, can make enough noise to legislate noise laws. There should be anti-whining laws too! It's like, you bought a house on a road, vehicles make noise, get over it!
nate6966 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page