2002 VTX 1800 C - Not Starting - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

2002 VTX 1800 C - Not Starting

Good Morning, I have a 2002 VTX 1800 that will not start. I went to go take it out the other day on an unusually warm New England winter day and the battery we weak and would not turn the bike over. I hooked up my battery charger/starter as I have done in the past and set it to the Start function. When I went to turn the bike over something strange happened. The bike began to turn over, and when I let go of the start button it continued to crank I then turned the handlebar switch off and it continued to crank. Then I turned the key off and it still cranked, slower and slower. I quickly disconnected the charger leads and everything stopped. Now, nothing works. I turn the key, flip the handlebar switch and the fuel pump doesn't prime, no lights come on, nothing happens. I checked the two 30 amp fuses and they both seem good.

I am unsure where to look next. Could it be the key switch, the starter solenoid, I am just really unsure where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

The battery is dead. Buy a new one, charge it full then hook it up. If the starter starts up as soon as you connect the charged battery, tap the starter solenoid to see if that unsticks the starter solenoid. If it doesn't, unhook battery and replace the starter solenoid.

Reason why the solenoid stuck open was from a very low dead battery. Once it stuck open, it may have killed the solenoid.

AMA Life Member 721314

Tags
electrical issues , not starting , vtx 1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page