Things to do while I have the Tank off. - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Things to do while I have the Tank off.

I finally got around to installing new Lines and Cables. After much debate I decided to go with the Spiegler lines and Barnnet cables. I went with Spikes recommendation and bought them from Mike at Bareass. Great customer service from Mike. He made sure I got the right size for my longer risers.

I like the Spiegler set. It was nice to have a set with eveything the correct length for the bike. I'm not to crazy about the aluminum bolts. If I was to do it again I would ask for chrome steel bolts. I'm sure the aluminum bolts will hold up fine.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to look at while I have the tank off?

I replaced the rusty fuel pressure regulator and did the ground fix. Also replaced some hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Valve adjust.
Curt E and Randman like this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:19 AM

Convenient opportunity to ensure the coolant is topped off.
Curt E, StarrRider and Randman like this.

'03 1800R 128K smiles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Check battery connections. Even if all appears good disconnect and clean terminal with sand paper and apply diabolic grease then reconnect. Even if all seems "good" connection may be slightly Corroded and give problems at the most inconvenient time. If it seem as I am speaking from experience-----I am. No fun doing this on the side of the road in the dark with a flash light in your teeth.
Curt E and Randman like this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM

General cleanup in and around wiring harnesses and frame. Maybe add some dress-up LED's.
Randman likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Valve adjust.
Good Idea! That's probably never been done on this bike. It has 25 K on it. When I got it last year it had really been neglected. I'm not sure how to do it on this bike. I will have to check the how to section on the site.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Good Idea! That's probably never been done on this bike. It has 25 K on it. When I got it last year it had really been neglected. I'm not sure how to do it on this bike. I will have to check the how to section on the site.
Valve adjustments are made easier if the access is better because of de-smog, if all the junk is out of the way. Engine must be stone cold.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
Valve adjustments are made easier if the access is better because of de-smog, if all the junk is out of the way. Engine must be stone cold.
I haven't removed the PAR system yet. I didn't really see the need to. I guess that's a good excuse to remove it.

Can I just cap off the hoses going to the head? I don't want to have to order those blank plates and wait a week to get them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 PM

1/8 pipe tap and 2 plugs will do the same.
rangers4u and Randman like this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I haven't removed the PAR system yet. I didn't really see the need to. I guess that's a good excuse to remove it.

Can I just cap off the hoses going to the head? I don't want to have to order those blank plates and wait a week to get them.
They are nice, good machining, but 1 week is being real hopeful. More realistic is 2-3 weeks. Some have said just capping the stock covers promotes some moisture buildup. IDK
Randman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page