A warning about bearings - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 AM

.003" interference on these bearings?

I agree. It should be closer to "line to line" and without looking it up in the Machinery Handbook maybe .0005" at most. Does anyone know who the bearing manufacturer is?

Somewhere on the BRP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 AM
SS1

Tapper ...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
All that being said, it would appear that replacement of the bearing is only half the fix. If the flange tolerances are off it will eat up the new bearing....so until Honda corrects the problem with the flange what's the next move?
Given the numbers involved, it's clear that if this is the problem, it's an issue with the tooling at Honda, and this becomes a very clear candidate for a recall item. If the mill at the factory is spitting out flanges with an undersized tolerance, then any replacement part you get will also have the problem. Please note in my first message - we got three flanges with factory installed bearings, and every one of them was distorted. This means the only way to fix this would be to play russian roulette with the factory parts, or put the flange and bushing on a lathe and machine them to the correct tolerances.
That would certainly appear to be the logical fix, but as the average consumer doesn't have access to a lathe ..... and since Honda may unwittingly be distributing self-destructing parts ..... me thinks that a thread specific to this problem with details only from those who have experienced this failure. Should be forwarded to HONDA.

Hopefully with sufficient field feed back they will look into this, and respond accordingly. If they do nothing, the data could be forwarded to the DOT ...... or other appropriate government agency for further follow up.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....
http://www.airnav.com/airport/FCM

post #23 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
SS1

I'm just guessing ..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo812
.003" interference on these bearings?

I agree. It should be closer to "line to line" and without looking it up in the Machinery Handbook maybe .0005" at most. Does anyone know who the bearing manufacturer is?

TOYO as that is who supplies the wheel bearings ( #18 ).

OEM flange bearing part # 91052-kz4-j21.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....
http://www.airnav.com/airport/FCM

post #24 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 AM

Fitment... http://www.dynaroll.com/catalog/pag028.htm

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
post #25 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Here is where we should start sending all this information. If we all do this as single complaintants it will bring more attention to this problem.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... search.cfm

In the left side menu is a "File a complaint" link.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #26 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM

Rear Drive Failures _ Bearings

Cripes Guys!!

This reported read drive bearing failure(s) are the exact problem I had with my 2000 BMW Road Crusier. The rear drive unit failed after some 18K miles. This problem resulted in several accidents & injuries, as when the rear drive would fail, it would typically lock the rear wheel up.

Damn, I thought I had went up a level in engineering/design quality with my 1800 now, I'm worried that we are all in the same safety related leaking lifeboat...

Has anyone contacted Honda of America relating to this issue?

I'm smelling "Lawsuit" here if on of our brother riders is injured with this problem as the culprit.

XmanDan in Houston 2003 VTX1800C Hypercharger, Power CommanderIII USB, Mean Mutha Drag Pipes, Avon Venom Rubber Front & Rear, Mustang Seats, Memphis Shades,
Barnett Clutch Springs, Ground Mods,
Fuel Line Quick-Disconnects, Corbin Radiator Shroud
DeSmogged-Pair Valves Removed.
post #27 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:17 AM

When I bought my 03, I immediately had a 240 kit installed. When we removed the stock rear wheel from the bike to install the 240, we found that the bearings were completely shot. The bike only had 3 miles on it, and the bearings were shot. Brand spanking new bike. Definitely a problem Honda needs to address.
post #28 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:25 AM

has anyone thought of maybe measuring out a 240 against a stock? I'm not saying that the bearings will be the same but what are their specs?

M STAR KMA
post #29 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 AM
VTXROCKETEER

Right now I have the Koyo 6905 RS series 092 in front of me. The OD is 41.98 mm and ID is 24.98 mm.

I have also the brand new part ($184) in front of me and only the inner (left side) bearing has this “clicking”. In this part was never a collar installed.

As Tapper said, we checked all 3 at the Honda shop – same clicking. Strange for me is they had 4 in stock. Maybe they know something. This is not a usual part. But I could be wrong on this.
They said to me “this is a good part – nothing wrong with this”. Sorry not in my world, they would install this part. This bike goes NOT on the road until WE are satisfied.

We go at lunch to a big bearing supplier – show those guys the damaged ones and the new ones. Let’s see what they say about this mess.

This week I take my wheel off too…
post #30 of 272 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Tapper,forgot to add that I got a new flange under waranty and the bearings were ruff in the bore even before installing the spacer.I took new bearings and with no access to a lathe I honed the ID of the flange and sanded down the spacer on the drill press.Have not pulled the rear tire in 6000 plus miles yet to check.
Hawkeye

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"WOW--What a Ride!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page