Smartest way to raise compression ratio? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM

I had to use premium on my vic vegas and can say it is so nice now to just use the low octane in a machine that already provides plenty of power to suit my needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
I know Pro-Stock is way over the top.. just joking... but to push takes money, time, research.. and lots of parts.:

I was running in 1973.. a 1972 CB750 with an 850cc high compression pistons.. Honda Works camshaft with light weight rocker arms... electronic system (prototype) to replace the duel points. smooth bore carburetors, and Honda close ratio transmission gear set...

does anyone remember when they made (Late 1970's) a supercharger for a 1975 to 79 Honda Goldwing.. with a Holley carb.. I installed several for customers.. back then and it was a bolt on system.

found an image

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 05-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

all great replies

Thank you all so much for your time. I have the pipes and air intake, buying the fuel management next week and get them professionally tuned at HAP dyno. So essentially from what I am reading from other owners there VTX is at about 107 to the wheels with those mods. There is a place in Indy that will give me stage 2 milling port and polish for fairly cheap around 350. I am wary about the big bore kit for the fact that the engine has to be Re sleeved. That all sounds very expensive. How much gain will I see from an aggressive cam with that stage 2 port and polish? The guy mentioned that because it is a big engine for a motorcycle that I would see more horsepower than a sport bike would see for port and polishing so maybe 3-5hp gain with the heads and intake being worked on? That would put me at 111ish to the wheel,

I have been contemplating the nitrous kit but I have never put line on a motorcycle or have used one what is to expect from that ? And supercharging? Won't that stress the stock internals too much? I want to put 100k on this bike or at least until I can buy the new Valkyrie

As for 120 horse I was referring to the M109 but I failed to realize that machine was dual overhead cam and ours isn't

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Pipes, airbox and fuel manager will get you to around 100 at the wheel all depending on what intake, and what pipes and what fuel manager. Stock hp is around 86 at the wheel.

Best pipes;
Vance&Hines Bigshots
Jardine Drags
Muzzy Stainless
Supertrap Megaphone

All proven to gain HP&Torque on the VTX

Air intakes;
Forcewinder
Thunder Hurricane(no longer made )
Thunder Tornado(no longer made )
Any other open style intake
Hyperchargers(look good, flow poorly )

AMA Life Member 721314
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakksin Henson View Post
Thank you all so much for your time. I have the pipes and air intake, buying the fuel management next week and get them professionally tuned at HAP dyno. So essentially from what I am reading from other owners there VTX is at about 107 to the wheels with those mods. There is a place in Indy that will give me stage 2 milling port and polish for fairly cheap around 350. I am wary about the big bore kit for the fact that the engine has to be Re sleeved. That all sounds very expensive. How much gain will I see from an aggressive cam with that stage 2 port and polish? The guy mentioned that because it is a big engine for a motorcycle that I would see more horsepower than a sport bike would see for port and polishing so maybe 3-5hp gain with the heads and intake being worked on? That would put me at 111ish to the wheel,

I have been contemplating the nitrous kit but I have never put line on a motorcycle or have used one what is to expect from that ? And supercharging? Won't that stress the stock internals too much? I want to put 100k on this bike or at least until I can buy the new Valkyrie

As for 120 horse I was referring to the M109 but I failed to realize that machine was dual overhead cam and ours isn't
Air box in sig pic is garbage and one of the worst flowing.
My decap of stock box flows more air.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Air box in sig pic is garbage and one of the worst flowing.
My decap of stock box flows more air.
Yeah I figured it was, when I took it apart I was thinking "sheesh why did the guy before me even bother with this thing haha." I'll sell it off to someone and buy a decent one.

As for the hp figures i was assuming that 107 was to the wheel but I guess they meant bhp.. ugh this is becoming more difficult than I though.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Pipes, airbox and fuel manager will get you to around 100 at the wheel all depending on what intake, and what pipes and what fuel manager. Stock hp is around 86 at the wheel.

Best pipes;
Vance&Hines Bigshots
Jardine Drags
Muzzy Stainless
Supertrap Megaphone

All proven to gain HP&Torque on the VTX

Air intakes;
Forcewinder
Thunder Hurricane(no longer made )
Thunder Tornado(no longer made )
Any other open style intake
Hyperchargers(look good, flow poorly )
Just screenshot this, which pipes have the largest diameter? The pipes I have now just sound too restricting when I let off the throttle
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM

To big of diameter takes away torque.

80550 E4 front
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
To big of diameter takes away torque.
Is there an exchange in horsepower? Or does it just detune the engine? What diameters are we using here. I'm pretty sure mine have a 1.75 diameter but I'm not sure just by eyeing it, I have to find the specs
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Hp doesn't move you down the road but torque does.
This is why crotch rockets don't get moving untill 6000 rpm then they haul ass to 10000 or more.
nate6966 likes this.

80550 E4 front

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page