Lightbar LEDs - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Lightbar LEDs

I pulled the trigger on two of these for my Honda lightbar. Anyone have any feedback?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-tower/2263/

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly.
___
02 VTX 1800 Retro Spoke
1971 Honda CL 350
800 XCR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
I hope they fit. Most LED H3s are longer and can hit the glass before you get them all the way in. Also, made in China LED bulbs can be weak and low quality. My first set broke in less than 10,000 miles. I now have a set from Amazon that I'm "hanging my hopes on."

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram,
on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!

Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
The led bulb you selected is a "DRL" with 177 lumens, 2.2 watts power consumption.
The value of lumens is usually grossly overrated in leds.
Steve has 5 - 5watt leds about 650 lumens which is promising but the reviews are bad...
35watt Halogens are in the 770 - 815 lumens range.
Honda lightbar used 25watt halogens for example.
I found some chip on board with about 650 lumens(advertised), with 3/5 rating.

1157 lamp with brake/TS 27 watts filament at 32 Candle power x 12.57 = 402 lumens;
8watt Run/taillight filament at 3 CP x 12.57 = 37 lumens.
Search and compare, read the reviews before you buy.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 AM

Garage
Some people are only looking at the Wattage, which is important for "current draw", but it's the Lumen rating that determines how "bright" it's going to be. I've found LED bulbs to go in the headlight that are 4000-6000 Lumen for less than $20 on eBay, and that's probably what I will replace my H4 headlight bulb with.

I've already got LED bulbs replacing my 1157 bulbs in my rear turn signals, also hooked to the running circuit, but they don't go as "dim" as the stock bulbs on running circuit, but they still work fine and can be easily seen, and having the added light on the back all the time helps in the dark. Next, I'm hooking up LED strips on the backrest to the turns and brake as well, with a flasher on the brake to help let folks behind me take their eyes off their cell phones and know that I'm stopping by the solid taillight. Now, if only I could get those LED turn lights to work like the old Mustang turns, and "point" to the side you're turning...

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
I'm still using my stock Sylvania H4 headlight. I've been "told" that, during the day, the my two Amazon H3 LEDs are MUCH brighter than the H4 on LOW beam.

I'm not focused on lighting the dark road at night. I'm hoping the cool/blue lighting of the LED's contrasting with the warm/yellow of the headlight will get drivers attention during the daylight hours. I can't tell you what it's like at night. I live in a very densely populated white tail deer area. I just DON"T ride at night!

Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Garage
Steve I agree with that H4 halogen low beam do look weak when I see them coming in my direction.
When I look back in a group ride the low beam is barely visible in the rear view mirror.
I suggest high beam "On" during all daylight hours.
I went to relays and new wiring due to excessive voltage drop at the H4 pins.
About 3 volts drop. That is why filament burn out is rare on a VTX.
Low voltage = less current = less lumens.
Yotaman in Step x Step, I used a H4 pigtail to trigger relays. No OEM wiring was modified.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Yotaman in Step x Step, I used a H4 pigtail to trigger relays. No OEM wiring was modified.
What are you referring to here?

Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Garage
Check headlight voltage and if low, use the Yotaman relay setup to get more light from the H4 halogen bulb.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm not crazy about them after a long weekend trip, but I do like the contrast oncoming traffic see with the standard bulb in the main headlight and the blue color of the light bar. I have not ridden in dark, only dusk so I'll see what I think after more use. For the price, they did what I wanted. I'm now looking at a quality upgrade for the main H4 bulb.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly.
___
02 VTX 1800 Retro Spoke
1971 Honda CL 350
800 XCR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 PM

I use these in my stock Hondaline Lightbar: Very Bright, wide flood not spot. really lights up road signs and the side of the road (deer). Adequate "throw" down the road- but that's what the headlight's for.

Copy and search this number on Amazon M31-017-AZO-1
or go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page