Rear tire ? - VTXOA
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Rear tire ?

2003 vtx 1800c 16" rear wheel. I currently have 200/60r16. Can someone help me find a 200/65r16?

Also I've read a lot about the "dark side" How much does a car tire affect low speed lean? I'm not sure if I wanna do the car tire route but I know I need a beefier tire to even out my speedo. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Garage
get a speed-o-healer (not sure that is its name)...

you can not get speed-o-meter to be correct... if you do.. the odometer will be OFF...

dark side. has been common since the 1940's... even has its own website.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
get a speed-o-healer (not sure that is its name)...

you can not get speed-o-meter to be correct... if you do.. the odometer will be OFF...

dark side. has been common since the 1940's... even has its own website.
The odometer issue is fine, I don't plan on selling this bike anyways, spend $$$ on the bigger tire to help the speedo, get new tread, and look cool over spending $$$ on a little box that'll fix the speedo, the tire outweighs the healer. I had one on my gsxr anyways and never really felt it ever worked.

I've been looking up article about dark side but they all say "these people are morons" or "have fun wrecking and not having insurance covering your fall"

Personally I think i would do it but I've never been on a bike that had it. I've only been around since the 90s

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakksin Henson View Post
The odometer issue is fine, I don't plan on selling this bike anyways, spend $$$ on the bigger tire to help the speedo, get new tread, and look cool over spending $$$ on a little box that'll fix the speedo, the tire outweighs the healer. I had one on my gsxr anyways and never really felt it ever worked.

I've been looking up article about dark side but they all say "these people are morons" or "have fun wrecking and not having insurance covering your fall"

Personally I think i would do it but I've never been on a bike that had it. I've only been around since the 90s
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding "darkside" riding. I haven't yet heard of an insurance claim rejected because of the tire type. There have been rumors, but that's all I've seen. I do know insurance companies will leave you hanging if they have any legal ground so it would be incumbent on you to do the research and what your insurance company will and will not walk on. Most really like darkside, but it has always been my position that it is a financial like as opposed to otherwise ... and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, as far as I know there has never been a documented failure of a darkside installation that resulted in a crash ... that was directly attributable to the type of tire. There are many people who run a car tire and they are most certainly not morons. Motorcycle purists ... or rather the motorcycle elite are quick to point out others wrong doings while remaining completely uninformed.

I, personally, chose not to run darkside because to me it just feels wrong to run a car tire on a bike. There has been much documentation as to how the rim seat and tire bead are different on a bike tire / rim vs. a car tire / rim. A bike tire doesn't belong on a car, nor does a car tire belong on a bike. Yet those that do it have met with no ill effects.

Inform yourself and make your own decision. Who knows, it may work out for you, or you may not like it, there are some who prefer a bike tire after the trial period. Your choice.

NOTHING WILL EXPOLDE

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage
several people HERE are darksiders..

must be an OFF day... they will be along soon.

never seen a bike catch on fire from going darksider.

but the Free Cookies are a LIE...
Harkon likes this.

2005 VTX1800 "F" type II, Silver Tribal, 73,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Well I don't care for cookies but, I have logged a lot of years and a lot miles running a CT. My bike (1800C) will hardpoint before I come off the tread in a lean. And I do LEAN, and sometimes HANG OFF. It is just something YOU have to try. You might hate it.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for clearing up the BS. I will try dark side, if I don't like it then I'll just sell the tire,

So 2 questions..

I have my mechanic put the car tire on the vtx rim right...? I noticed the valve stem was in the middle of the rim not on the sidewall.

And

What do i tell him about the bead? What about tire inflation? If it says the cold psi max is 50 psi do I fill it to 50 psi..? Or is it different for this application

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Over 100000 miles here on car tire.
Stock tire last 6000-8000
Car tire 35000-45000
Jakksin Henson likes this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for clearing up the BS. I will try dark side, if I don't like it then I'll just sell the tire,

So 2 questions..

I have my mechanic put the car tire on the vtx rim right...? I noticed the valve stem was in the middle of the rim not on the sidewall.
Yep, he can mount it just as easily (or possibly easier) as he can mount a regular MC tire.

Quote:
What do i tell him about the bead?
You don't need to say a thing at all. When he inflates the new tire, the bead will snap right into place just like any other tire. And just like any other tire, there is always a chance that a little higher than normal pressure will be needed to get that bead to move out into the groove (especially if your tire guy doesn't like to use soap/lube). Yes, it's true that there are tiny dimensional differences in a car tire bead and a bike tire bead. But millions of miles ridden by thousands of riders should give reasonable evidence that these differences don't prevent adequate sealing.

Quote:
What about tire inflation? If it says the cold psi max is 50 psi do I fill it to 50 psi..? Or is it different for this application
I don't know anyone who runs pressure that high. I'd say 38-40 psig is the more popular range. See what feels good to you as you get a feel for the new tire.
KODIAK35 and Jakksin Henson like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay cool, yeah I was wondering about the psi because I actually have 205/65/17 on my wife's car and they say 50 psi max, my MT 200 on the rear now requires 42 psi but I only run 36. Just wanna have my facts straight before I make the plunge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page